03/04 Cobra seat modifications?

Dan04COBRA

Established Member
I'm 6'2 and about as uncomfortable as I could get in my Cobra. I feel I sit too high, my knees touch the dash & if I put the seat far enough back that my knees don't hit - I can't reach the shifter without leaning forward.

My question is - before I go pulling the seat & track out....

Is there any known modification to lower the height our seats are at? Ideally I'd like to drop the seat enough so I can get my knees further under the dash. That way I don't have to pull back any further from the hard to reach shifter...

ViciousJay

Established Member
sit striaght up and and move close to the steering wheel, im 6'4 and i use to have issues until i dealt with it

Dan04COBRA

Established Member
I have the seat very straight forward, however it makes getting in and out of the car very difficult, especially when I can't open the door entirely.

Oh well, looks like it's something I'm just going to need to deal with?

Jefe

Established Member
Im 6'2" but I like to slouch a little. You already used to power seat functions to make the position as low as possible? First would be to get the MGW shifter. That should solve that problem. Id get under the back of the seat and see if you might have more room to wrench the seat down or modify the bracket on the seats...

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
I'm only 5'11" and could never get comfortable. My legs are pretty good size and the seat wouldn't go low enough for me to be comfortable and not hit the wheel. I put in corbeaus and have plenty of clearance now. They sit much lower. They aren't for everyone, but mine's not a daily driver anyway and I liked the much lighter weight as well.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
6'2'' - I fit perfect... infact I think its best fit for me, my father is 5'10" and just doesn't sit as snug. I think Mustangs fit perfect, but thats me.

Maybe you have long legs or short arms or I have long arms or short legs. Sorry I can't help you.
Do your have your wheel tilted up, and put your legs to the left and right of it? Then move the seat all the way back, then back foward just a bit. Now lower the seat and tilt it the seat itself backward. Set the seat back to moderately erect. Thats how I sit... comfy.

Dan04COBRA

Established Member
I have a MGW, I bought it to help this situation, while it improved the reaching problem a BIT, it still can't do anything for my seat.

Thanks for the suggestions.

F8LSnake, how much did you have to invest into the Corbeaus? Mine isn't a daily driver, so when I do drive it I'd like for it to be comfy...

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
These cars are not designed for big fellas, period. There's not a ton you can do to make the drivers area more comfortable and as was indicated above, you really just gotta get used to it.

I have Kenny Brown seat extenders that will allow 4" more in rearward seat postion. But this really only helps a bit because they push you too far away from the shifter. And they slightly elevate the seat which makes it a total biatch at the track once you get your helmet on. I'm 6'4", 250 and my head is jamed into the headliner when I'm racing.

This is one of the reason's I'm attracted to the Shelby......much more comfortable and roomy for bigger fellas.

SC_Terminator

Used to own a Boss
Established Member
OK, I guess I am the winner.....I am 6'9" and 277lbs.....and my knees touch the dash no matter what I do....and my left knee just about always gets wedged between the steering wheel and the door panel....Maybe I need to do the clutch pedal mod to lower it....I have the seat as low and as far back as it can go.....I have just gotten used to it....It was like that in my old LX too.....Hell it is almost like that in any car I get in....:) :) :).......Sucks to be tall....unless you are around a bunch of hot chicks with low cut tops....then it is a blessing.....

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone asked me "how tall are you", or "do you play basketball".....then maybe, I could afford the roomier Shelby..... :) :)

SpectorV

Established Member
I would lean the seat back to get in and out if you sit it straight up, many people have NO idea how to get into a car with seats that have bolsters like ours do... people sit and slide right down them... dont do that.

convert03cobra

Established Member
Sorry all, SVT made the cobra driver's seat to fit me exactly. I'm 6'1" and I honestly feel like the seat was made to my specs...lol However, did they make the back seats for midets with no legs? My 5 yo has like NO extra leg room.

Dan04COBRA

Established Member
LOL I've never sat in back, anytime it's needed a dusting/cleaning back there - I put my GF up to the job...

Atleast I'm not the only taller guy struggling like hell to get comfortable in this damn car!! I had a look at the seat last night and it looks like there is absolutely nothing I could do to lower the seat.

wallie40

Established Member
I took out my seats and put in Corbeau's, like another posted stated, they sit lower. I am 6'2 and it is better now.

EvanStang

the "Hit Man"
Established Member
I'm 6' 2" and I haven't noticed any problems... my sit is all the way back, slight recline, and sitting as low as the seat allows...

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
I can see where it's possible to get comfortable enough for cruisin, but to get in a good drag racing position is much harder. When ever the seat back was up enough for good power shifting my helmet would be in the roof and my legs would hit the steering wheel.

03RedCobra

Established Member
My problem is that my schlong is so long that it keeps pressing in the clutch pedal by itself. Annoying !!!

Anyone else have that problem ?? :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread