03-04 Cobra, TO Bearing Failures? List em here...

32V SVT

Established Member
Hey Guys, I'm curious how many of you have had to replace a TO bearing in your Cobra's?
I'm at 41k miles and had mine go out yesterday. The car's never driven to the limits either...
Help me out guys, put in your information and lets see if we can start some kind of action from Ford.

What year? (mfg. date would be helpful...)

What was the mileage at the time?

Are your cars a Daily Driver?

Thanks for the input!

-G

termin8r

From STi to SVT
Established Member
Mine's been out since 25K. I'm at 30K right now and getting it fixed next week. Its a daily driver in summer, but is stored 6 months out of the year since MN winter is harsh.

This has been brought up many times. Ford won't do anything about it, especially now since the car hasn't been sold for 4 years.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Mine's not out per say but it squeeks until I put my foot on the clutch pedal. and my car now has 7,000 miles on it. I am going to try to use the Fiore adjuster and quadrant to eliminate it. I've herd this might work.

Mike

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
Not a failure just noisy before the Fiore setup
Jeff
Edit: Ford installed a new TOB when the T-56 was changed under warranty.
It still was noisy until I bought the Fiore set-up.
Jeff

Last edited:

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
No probs up to 35k miles. Had a clutch put in and new TOB, 200 miles into it it went bad. Ended up going with the Napa special no issues to date.

32V SVT

Established Member
TJ, what specifically was wrong with the retainer sleeve???
I saw my parts out of the car yesterday, and man the bearing was just SMOKED... You could see the heat discolorations, and as I was driving that
last 15 miles from work to the dealer, you could hear crap dropping out of it... It was a pretty hairy experience...

-G

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
catastrophic failure here at around 43k

the clutch was on the way out at the time for a month or two beforehand, so i used the opportunity to do it all including internal trans upgrades

but even now with all the new stuff my tob is making noise, so i am sure i will have to do it before another year or so.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
VERTIBLEMENACE said:
catastrophic failure here at around 43k

the clutch was on the way out at the time for a month or two beforehand, so i used the opportunity to do it all including internal trans upgrades

but even now with all the new stuff my tob is making noise, so i am sure i will have to do it before another year or so.
Hi,
I had the same problem after a new T-56 and TOB was installed.
The link to Fiore will fix the problem if you have the clutch well adjusted.
http://www.need-4-speed.com/fiore.htm
Jeff

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread