03/04 Cobras with 600+ RWHP/TQ and 3.27s

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
I asked this question about a year or so ago in another section and only got a few replies. Hopefully more folks will see it here. I'm wondering how many of you have dropped down to 3.27s or know someone that has. How do you like them compared to the stock 3.55s (pros/cons)? Thanks.

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
what's your goal?

more on the top end? little less grunt down low? both?

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
what's your goal?

more on the top end? little less grunt down low? both?

Traction on the street. You can't get your doors blown off by a Honda Civic from stop light to stop light and tell him to follow you to the highway for a 40 roll so you can get him back lol. Even with Drag Radials 1st gear is pretty useless with stock gears at the HP/TQ level especially with IRS.

Cobra03SC

Established Member
If you get beat by a fwd honda from a dig with a rwd 600 hp cobra then you cant blame the car for loss of traction. I have had both 355 and 323 gears and i went back to the 355s. With the right tires the power is very manageable (i made 618/583) as long as you arnt power shifting the tires off each shift. Also it is possible to launch from 2nd to help with spinning out the hole.

Last edited:

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
^^^I believe you meant 3.27s, right? What made you go back to 3.55s? How did you like the 3.27s with a 26" tall tire?

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
gotcha. not something i would consider but i see where you're coming from.

seems like enough guys with 600-ish hp and 3.55's are killing it on the streets. re-gear (up or down) doesn't seem to be super popular for the Terminator.

Cobra03SC

Established Member
I run a 315 mickey Thompson et street drag radial 100% on the street and love it. I just try to avoid any wet roads lol. You arnt going to kill yourself either way. I just prefer the 355s because it seems to give me a more "suck to the seat" feeling. Never got to run the 327s at the track so im not sure if it would make a time difference there.

racebronco2

Established Member
I have just about 595/597 running 3.27's. Traction is a little better but the main reason i switches was for three reasons. I do the 1/2 mile roll runs and i have won several races because they had to shift at the end of the 1/2 mile and i didn't. I run at a local 1000' track and with the 3.27's i can leave it in third gear. I open track my car and at most tracks i visit i no longer need to shift to the next higher gear at the end of the straights.
1st 55mph ......................................................................................
2nd 85mph .....................................................................................
3rd 115mph ....................................................................................
4th 155mph .....................................................................................

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
^^^Traction is only a little better with 3.27s vs 3.55s on the street? I was hoping to see a big difference lol

03' White Snake

Established Member
I make 580/541 and I run BFG KDW2's on the street and I can go full boost in all gears. No power shifting obviously. I love the 3:55's. I wouldn't change them.

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
^^^Most folks can't go full boost in 1st gear with the stock pulley on the factory Eaton with those tires, so I don't know how you do it with a 2.8KB. Some guys have all the luck I guess lol

Users who are viewing this thread