03/04 pistons/rods

1996_Snake

Built and Blown
Established Member
ok, just some quick questions.
What are stock 03/04 pistons and rods rated too?
Will 03/04 cobra rods work in a 1996 cobra?
what all will i need to forged my internals?

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
there is really no rating. I wouldn't really trust the pistons at over 500rwhp.
2. yes.
3. well, pistons and rods, in addition to your stock crank would be considered forged internals, but obviously you will need bearings and gaskets, bolts, etc.

However, due to the varying sizes of the pistons, you can't just slap them into your motor.

1996_Snake

Built and Blown
Established Member
ok, well we have all seen lots of stock 03/04 cobras pushing crazy numbers on stock internals, so i thought i MIGHT just be able to call up ford and order all the necessity's and build my motor like a stock 03/04 and boost it up too 550+ RWHP....

JP96cobra

Established Member
Im not positive on this one but im going to guess that Ford has those parts overpriced like everyother dealer part. You might as well order a piston and rod combo from a reputable company and have the capability of running more power with out the worries. Those rods are good if you add arp bolts but i wouldnt buy those pistons. Just my opinion.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
1996_Snake said:
ok, well we have all seen lots of stock 03/04 cobras pushing crazy numbers on stock internals, so i thought i MIGHT just be able to call up ford and order all the necessity's and build my motor like a stock 03/04 and boost it up too 550+ RWHP....

Here's the thing about stock internal, whether it's '03-'04 or even '96-01', it's in the tune. I've seen a '96 Cobra with all stock internals cranking out 620 rwhp. However, even the owner knows it's only a matter of time before something gives, probably a piston. Stock internals aren't made for anything much over the stock HP numbers. They may hold it for awhile but before long the heat and stress will make something happen. The materials themselves just aren't up to par. You can probably order forged pistons and rods for about the same price as stock '03-'04 pistons and rods from Ford.

1996_Snake

Built and Blown
Established Member
Booyah said:
Here's the thing about stock internal, whether it's '03-'04 or even '96-01', it's in the tune. I've seen a '96 Cobra with all stock internals cranking out 620 rwhp. However, even the owner knows it's only a matter of time before something gives, probably a piston. Stock internals aren't made for anything much over the stock HP numbers. They may hold it for awhile but before long the heat and stress will make something happen. The materials themselves just aren't up to par. You can probably order forged pistons and rods for about the same price as stock '03-'04 pistons and rods from Ford.
aww, ok.
thanks
what are some places to order taht shit offline?
thanks

1996_Snake

Built and Blown
Established Member
Shangsta said:
Yeah if youre gonna bother swapping internals do it right and save yourself money. Go get some forged internals from a reputable aftermarket company
thats what i am wondering...who is a reputable company?
hopefully online....

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
marrilo?????? Did you mean carrillo?

For rods, if you want a street strip combo under about 750rwhp, then you should get either manley or eagle h beam rods with arp 2000 rod bolts. They are cheap, and proven. they are stout. Above that, look to Oliver or Manley Billet I Beams. Carrillo makes a great rod, but its so damn expensive, and kind of unnecessary.

As for pistons, I run CP, but Diamond and JE will work ok too.

I would not run mahle pistons in a high boost application, but they will work fine under about 15psi.

vt engines or modular performance will have all the parts you need.

Last edited:

1996_Snake

Built and Blown
Established Member
quadcammer said:
marrilo?????? Did you mean carrillo?

For rods, if you want a street strip combo under about 750rwhp, then you should get either manley or eagle h beam rods with arp 2000 rod bolts. They are cheap, and proven. they are stout. Above that, look to Oliver or Manley Billet H Beams. Carrillo makes a great rod, but its so damn expensive, and kind of unnecessary.

As for pistons, I run CP, but Diamond and JE will work ok too.

I would not run mahle pistons in a high boost application, but they will work fine under about 15psi.

vt engines or modular performance will have all the parts you need.
awsome info!
thanks man!:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread