03 Cobra Clutch

z-eater

stock with pulley
Established Member
what is the best clutch for a 03 cobra?
i m running 2.80 pulley and NX kit 100 shoot.

thanks

Z-06_Killa

slow and untuned!!!
Established Member
z-eater said:
what is the best clutch for a 03 cobra?
i m running 2.80 pulley and NX kit 100 shoot.

thanks

I am not spraying my car, but i have a RAM Powergrip and i love it, also got the Billet Steel flywheel. It is smooth as well, none of that loud chatter that the SPEC clutches give out. CBRTRX on www.need2speed.com used RAM and it held the power, when he smoked it he bought the Centerforce DF, lasted a week, sprayed it on the Dyno and the clutch went up in smoke, he went back with a RAM 900 series i think.

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
What up Asmir! I have the Ram in my Cobra, too. I like it, it grabs hard, but if I could do it again, I'de go with a Centerforce or Spec Stage 3. Oh, and how can you say a clutch sucks because it went up in smoke after a week when it was run hard on a dyno? Just saying, a clutch should be broken in properly, not trashed with 10 miles on it. Just like any moving parts, the mating surfaces must be broken in properly to maintain proper function. Talk to people who thrashed there clutches and don't break em in...they chatter after 1000 miles and the T/O bearings squeak.

Z-06_Killa

slow and untuned!!!
Established Member
RippinSVT said:
Oh, and how can you say a clutch sucks because it went up in smoke after a week when it was run hard on a dyno? Just saying, a clutch should be broken in properly, not trashed with 10 miles on it. Just like any moving parts, the mating surfaces must be broken in properly to maintain proper function. Talk to people who thrashed there clutches and don't break em in...they chatter after 1000 miles and the T/O bearings squeak.

I never said it was run hard on the dyno right after install, the clutch had wel over 500 miles on it before it was sprayed.

I never broke my RAM in, i have well over 2000 miles on it now and NO CHATTER and NO squeak fromt the T/O bearing :shrug:

i talked to RAM before i picked my car from having the clutch installed, i asked them what kind of break in i needed to do with the Powergrip, the Head Tech told me to give it hell, They install them in their daily drivers and go straight to the track with them and never have any problems.

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
Z-06_Killa said:
I never said it was run hard on the dyno right after install, the clutch had wel over 500 miles on it before it was sprayed.

I never broke my RAM in, i have well over 2000 miles on it now and NO CHATTER and NO squeak fromt the T/O bearing :shrug:

i talked to RAM before i picked my car from having the clutch installed, i asked them what kind of break in i needed to do with the Powergrip, the Head Tech told me to give it hell, They install them in their daily drivers and go straight to the track with them and never have any problems.

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood you. Yeah, my Ram grabs good but I gave it a mediocre break-in I guess. I do get a little clutch-pedal vibration though, I think I need an adjustable cable/quadrant.

Z-06_Killa

slow and untuned!!!
Established Member
RippinSVT said:
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood you. Yeah, my Ram grabs good but I gave it a mediocre break-in I guess. I do get a little clutch-pedal vibration though, I think I need an adjustable cable/quadrant.

I get a little vibration in the pedal but its not from the clutch chattering, chatter will rattle your teeth out. Have you ever been in a car with a SPEC stg3? i have ridden in 2 Cobras and 2 Trans Am's all with SPEC clutches and they chattered so bad i wanted to get out of the vehicle. Just my experience.

I have the RAM Extreme firewall adjuster(PITA to install) and the highramp quadrant from RAM(i love it push the clutch an inch and shift). Only thing is i would reccomend using the factory cable, the adjustable cable i got from RAM split the casing and i lost all pedal...had to start the car in gear to go to a the shop to get it on the lift.

Blk04Svt

Established Member
I'd pick the Ram 900 series. Hated Dual Frictions, tried Spec stage 3, it held the power but chattered way to much for a daily driver.

Users who are viewing this thread