03 cobra drag racing

wcoxsr

Established Member
i am starting to learn how to drag race this car. the car is stock except for cat back and intake. i am on street tires. i have gone out to an eighth mile track and started practicing launches.i set my tire pressure at 20lbs. i first started at 3500rpms. well that didnt work. just sat there and gave a show. then i tryed each run by reducing rpm by 500 each time. its seems that 1500 looks to be the best so far. just can seem to get hooked up tho. so, any of you drag nuts have any ideas. and maybe some advice on the whole race would be great. like i said, im just starting out on this. and i do want to make some good times. so, bring it on guys.:shrug:

Blue

Established Member
I also need some help with this. There is an 1/8 mile track nearby that sooner or later im going to either be forced into a race or just want to run to see what I can do. But having never been on a drag strip I have no idea how to launch the car to get the most out of it.
I've heard of people launching at 4000 rpm, but is that done by dumping the clutch or feathering. Alot surely depends on the track itself but I dont want to make a fool of myself the first time out. And being the only Cobra around I also feel pressure not to let the car down. I know this might make me sound like a total newbie but thats pretty much the case.

Just for some background, Ive been driving trucks for the last 20 years and before the cobra I was driving a 4 door 4x4 F250 diesel.

bender460

Established Member
I think that 20lbs in the stoch F1's is to low try 27-30lbs.What are your 60' times? I launch at 3000rpm not dumping the clutch totaly kind of a half dump then slip it till the car catches up to 3000rpm then let it out totaly. Timing is important doing it that way. Might not be good for you though everyones different, something for you to try though. I'm geting consistant 2.0 60's.

Evilcartman

Established Member
Does anyone (with simular mods as me) feel like their boost is being dumped when you shift? I has the pulley, but I don't like the idea of unplugging the boost bypass valve. It's not to bad, it just feels like I'm loosing boost sometimes. I need to watch the boost gauage, but I'm to busying driving. Just wondering.

jtfx6552

Established Member
In my opinion, the boost dump is the most missunderstood thing on our cars.

I've been told by a very reputable source, that the main reason for the boost dump is to protect the driveline on hard shifts.

Do you not have a chip? The Amazon racing Diablo eliminates the problem.

JT

Users who are viewing this thread