03 Cobra overheating

wculver

600hp is not enough!
Established Member
Ok I need some help-quickly! My 03 Cobra with various mods but nothing to radical overheated on the way To Myrtle Beach. As of today they have replaced the radiator as it had a hole in it and now burped the system to get the air out. However, the cooling fans are not coming on properly. Any ideas?

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Are the the fans coming on at all?
Mine blew the intercooler pump fuse the other day and I lost all the coolant in my heat exchanger tank. :eek:

wculver

600hp is not enough!
Established Member
The t-stat was good. I hope they have it done tomorrow. Somehow, this rental 05 Focus (note 136hp at the crank) I'm driving just isn't cutting it!

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Originally posted by wculver
The t-stat was good. I hope they have it done tomorrow. Somehow, this rental 05 Focus (note 136hp at the crank) I'm driving just isn't cutting it!

Dumb question....but why did you have to rent a vehicle while your car is being fixed? Isn't it still under warranty? If so, you should have gotten a "loaner" but I'm guessing thats where the focus came from!

roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
Originally posted by racerat
Are the the fans coming on at all?
Mine blew the intercooler pump fuse the other day and I lost all the coolant in my heat exchanger tank. :eek:

Yeah like she said, check your fuse and the IC pump relay too.

BenD

Established Member
Running hot is a problem

Over heating, spewing out anti freeze and going in to "Limp" Mode are all problematic.

I share some of your mods, especially the 2.80 which I'm sure contributes the most to the heating issue.

I have adopted most of the popular mods to prevent this even with the 2.80. Gordsford HE with fans and separate dash mounted switch, Fluidyne Radiator, and a 180 degree high flow thermostat.

I even had special shims made to raise the hood up in back about a quarter of an inch and removed the rubber rain strip. Still didn't help.

I am having the last thing I know to do installed Friday this week. The large Vortech after cooler installed where the battery used to sit. It holds about 1 gal. more of intercooler fluid.

If that doesn't do it I guess there are two more mods that will help, one especially will help a lot. If Kenny Brown ever gets the fender vent kit redesigned. I know Ceramic coated headers will help. But Headers are expensive in the first place and equally expensive to install that's why I haven't done that to date.

wculver

600hp is not enough!
Established Member
Just got a call from the dealership. They had to replace a fan shroud. They said the car runds great now and the fans are coming on like they should. Looks like an upgraded heat exchanger is in order now. Thanks to all for your help. Wayne.

03SonicSnake

Member of 500/500 Club
Established Member
Which heat exchanger is a true bolt on where there's absolutely no modifications necessary? I'm tired of this Texas heat killing my performance. Especially sitting in traffic.

Users who are viewing this thread