03 cobra owners?on your pro 5.0 shifters

allens-03

Established Member
just installed one today feels great,but i seem to hear the tranny more with the pro 5.0 shifter.i have the dust rubber boot installed like it was from the factory,but first gear seems a little louder since the install.is this normal?

rmoreau

Established Member
Its all normal.

The cure for the noise probs is to remove the bezel, the bolt down boot, and the stretched rubber boot ( if you re-installed it ) and drive around for a week. Its NASCAR loud, but when you put everything back together it will sound quieter than a hospital zone.

Randy

allens-03

Established Member
so i take the rubber boot back off and stretch it?not really sure what you mean buy that.i didnt have to cut or trim the rubber boot to fit the pro-5.0 shifter base

jonas

Established Member
Originally posted by rmoreau
Its all normal.

The cure for the noise probs is to remove the bezel, the bolt down boot, and the stretched rubber boot ( if you re-installed it ) and drive around for a week. Its NASCAR loud, but when you put everything back together it will sound quieter than a hospital zone.

Randy
roflmao:lol:

stangin

Established Member
Originally posted by allens-03
so i take the rubber boot back off and stretch it?not really sure what you mean buy that.i didnt have to cut or trim the rubber boot to fit the pro-5.0 shifter base

Give the boy a break :) They are just messin with ya.. If you take the boot off all together then it will be noisy as hell.. when you put the stock boot back on it will seem soooo quiet in comparison. They are saying that the aftermarket shifter tend to be noisy at they click and transfer noise through the shifter.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but cant he buy the MGW handle $25 or $35 and install the rubber bushing? That should quiet it down to stock or close to stock sound levels.

davidmax

Established Member
I use duct tape and wheel weights (the peel and stick ones) and wrap the weights strategically and duct tape all around the base so the boot is on real tight. tape the weights, all around the base.The weights help make the shifts more crisp and use less effort,that combined withe duct tape applied in a circular motion under the boot.
Then put the boot on and it will remove some noise.
You should always enjoy your noises without them it wouldnt be a Ford
Dave Smilovic,all cars ha ve the same problem,but roll on the weights and tape under the boot it makes the experiance much better,Dave

BALDSNAKE

Stop the Car Tax
Established Member
A trans anti foaming agent such as Jegs AutoTrans drag racing additive (only 3oz.!) knocks off about 50% of the noise and side effect is a cooler running tranny. Got the fix off of an earlier thread and...damn if it didn't work after 200 mi. or so. Now I can hear my klunk again.

Users who are viewing this thread