03 cobra rear end whine, i need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

03bigbird

Established Member
I have a 03 cobra and the rear end recently started whine after 3rd gear when im on the gas going down the road its really bad but when i get off the gas it quietens down. Anybody had this and what parts do i need to fix this? :shrug:

mdrc347

Established Member
I have a 03 cobra and the rear end recently started whine after 3rd gear when im on the gas going down the road its really bad but when i get off the gas it quietens down. Anybody had this and what parts do i need to fix this? :shrug:

It's probably pinion bearing failure. Hard to be sure without seeing it. Jack it up and check it out. There should be no play in the pinion bearings if you try to move them by shaking the driveshaft near the rear end. Possible low fluid level caused this. Pinion bearings are usually the first to go. So you should check your fluid level as well. If it is low, you should get a entire bearing kit at the least and have everything else inspected.

If you had gears put in it, they may not have set the pinion bearing preload correctly. Carrier bearings are not common to failure if they are preloaded correctly. If gears have been installed, it could be anything if the rear end was not set up correctly.

But, make sure you don't have a bad U-joint instead of a rear end issue. You can check the slop in these while checking the pinion bearings. Just rock the driveshaft back and forth. There should be not movement. You may have to remove the shaft and turn the u-joint caps to ensure they aren't dry or binding. They should move very freely an smoothly. Any catches or roughness would indicate a bad joint.

An easy way to diagnose this would be with a stethoscope as well. You could run the car on jack stands or hoist, and move the stethoscope around to find out where the noise is worst. It should show up with the stethoscope at lower speeds. Good luck.

Last edited:

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Mine has howled since I got it. I've been driving it for 10,000 miles without an increase in volume either, leading me to believe it's just run of the mill gear whine. That may be the case for you as well. Have you changed tire brands recently by any chance?

03bigbird

Established Member
It's probably pinion bearing failure. Hard to be sure without seeing it. Jack it up and check it out. There should be no play in the pinion bearings if you try to move them by shaking the driveshaft near the rear end. Possible low fluid level caused this. Pinion bearings are usually the first to go. So you should check your fluid level as well. If it is low, you should get a entire bearing kit at the least and have everything else inspected.

If you had gears put in it, they may not have set the pinion bearing preload correctly. Carrier bearings are not common to failure if they are preloaded correctly. If gears have been installed, it could be anything if the rear end was not set up correctly.

But, make sure you don't have a bad U-joint instead of a rear end issue. You can check the slop in these while checking the pinion bearings. Just rock the driveshaft back and forth. There should be not movement. You may have to remove the shaft and turn the u-joint caps to ensure they aren't dry or binding. They should move very freely an smoothly. Any catches or roughness would indicate a bad joint.

An easy way to diagnose this would be with a stethoscope as well. You could run the car on jack stands or hoist, and move the stethoscope around to find out where the noise is worst. It should show up with the stethoscope at lower speeds. Good luck.

alright. ive had trans problems and thought it was that but i belive its yhe rear. I will check it and hopefully thats it, thanks

03bigbird

Established Member
Mine has howled since I got it. I've been driving it for 10,000 miles without an increase in volume either, leading me to believe it's just run of the mill gear whine. That may be the case for you as well. Have you changed tire brands recently by any chance?

yea it just stays the same. i have not i belive its the pinion bearing

03ZincSnke30

Established Member
I have the same problem and mines yellow hey maybe its a yellow thing but I have only put about 1500 miles on it this year if you find something out though please let us know

03bigbird

Established Member
I have the same problem and mines yellow hey maybe its a yellow thing but I have only put about 1500 miles on it this year if you find something out though please let us know

alright im going to take it apart next week and see whats going on in there. I will fix it and put up on here what i did. thanks

SVTDom

cheetah on cocaine
Established Member
mine was whining like a wolf 2 weeks ago haha, and started to get really bad gear lash. I ripped the rear apart and the pinion bearing and crush collar were shot and also the differential spider gears had play in them along with the differntial center pin.

More then likely in your case is your pinion bearing and crush collar are going resulting in the gears moving apart and giving you your whine. Once the gears fall out of there normal wear pattern they get a nice whine to them.

your rear will last, the whines just the beginning, but sooner or later your going to need to replace you gears, and bearings.

let me no if you need anymoree help i just rebuilt my IRS lol.

03bigbird

Established Member
mine was whining like a wolf 2 weeks ago haha, and started to get really bad gear lash. I ripped the rear apart and the pinion bearing and crush collar were shot and also the differential spider gears had play in them along with the differntial center pin.

More then likely in your case is your pinion bearing and crush collar are going resulting in the gears moving apart and giving you your whine. Once the gears fall out of there normal wear pattern they get a nice whine to them.

your rear will last, the whines just the beginning, but sooner or later your going to need to replace you gears, and bearings.

let me no if you need anymoree help i just rebuilt my IRS lol.

ok thanks for the help man

mdrc347

Established Member
ok thanks for the help man

The problem, in my opinion, is the case. The aluminum housing warps just stlightly over time from heat and wear causing all the clearances and specs to change just enough to make noise. This also causes the wear pattern to change just slightly. Alot of times you can just tear them down and reassemble them resetting all the clearances and they will be fixed. Assuming you do it before it causes further damage. Usually its a good idea to replace at least the bearings while doing this. I think a bearing kit is like $60. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread