03 Cobra Removing Steering Rack Limiter?

dpancer

Established Member
Hi,

Has anyone have any testimonials removing the steering rack limiters on our cars? The steering radius is horrible and would be great to get a bit more in.

Now obviously they are there for a reason. But perhaps a bit a modification to the inside fender walls can clear up any tire contact.

Picture from an 89 GT (just to get the idea)
1008772_9v0ija_zps058fc24a.jpg

shurur

Established Member

Jefe

Established Member
One of my biggest gripes about this car. I already rub now though at lock :nonono:

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
I added these stops to my 91 fox body when I installed 01 Cobra wheels with 245/45R17's and it really limits the turning radius too. Prior to installing them it sounded like the front end was coming apart on hard turns.
Now it takes a 3 point turn or spin the tires in most close situations but in more noises/rubbing. I'm not sure if our Terminators use them or the rack is designed differently but these cars have poor turning radius as a normal characteristic.

SV

shurur

Established Member
I think only the terminators have the limiters because they came with 275 oem...but also think the arms are different..although may just be the bushing material(??)

looks like 2000R came with 265

The 99-01 cobras oem were 245..hyland book says 265 is ok but can rub on some these cars.

I put in 255 on my 99 to be safe..with no problems..even with GB delrin arm bushings that move the arms forward 1/4".

OP: I suspect 275 may rub if limiter is removed...or different rack is installed..

Last edited:

JDUB348

Established Member
I can bet that the majority of cars on this website would have major rubbing issues if we removed the stop because theres so little clearance once these cars are lowered.

When i installed my suspension and took it to the shop that did the alignment i told them to set the car's ride height as low as it could go. They set it as low as it could go.. but there was major rubbing issues. Ended up having to raise the car up just a little to keep the tires from rubbing against the wheel wells when i made turns.

This was the ride height when it was rubbing like crazy:

Tolow_zps9cf2107d.jpg

This is how it sits today:

0C59C324-BF1B-42D1-88BF-8F5B0DEED9F5_zpsguzm9o66.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread