03 cobra to GT500

twymenburr

BLACK HORNET II
Established Member
I have a 03 cobra project that ihave been working on think im going to sell everything and get a GT500.....how bad ass are those new car

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
They are fast with a lot of cheap HP upgrades available. The ride feels mor le refined as well. But they are bigger more heavy cars. It's personal preference I guess. I love mine and am around 700 hp and still wanting more

twymenburr

BLACK HORNET II
Established Member
vey nice i cant wait to join the club how did i handle from the factory? Why so much suspension work?

Yellow Horse

Established Member
I had a 2003 Cobra. When they first came out SVT said they handled better than the previous 99 and 01 Cobras both of which I owned. I ordered my 03. When it came in I was really disappointed by the way it handled. It pushed like hell.

I looked at used GT500's a few years ago. I never test drove one but I was really happy with the fit, finish and comfort on the interior. Under the hood I could see Ford had caught up with Asian cars. Everything was laid out really good. Most people were asking nearly new prices for low mileage models. I found a brand new 2010 sitting on a lot just as the 2011 were coming out. They knocked over $6k off sticker.

First thing off I noticed how good the shifter felt versus SN95 New Edge Cobras. It was notchy and easy to reach. No need to replace that shifter. I could not believe how loud a stock exhaust was when they fired it up. Then on the way home it handled 10 times better than my 2003 Cobra.

I was only going to do an off-road x-pipe, CAI and tune but that idea did not last long. Just finished up a Black Mamba hood and MM 6-point roll cage. I could sell it and buy a 2013/2014 but with all my mods I would end up doing the same thing to a new GT500 so I am sticking with my 2010.

I would definately hop into a GT500.

Last edited:

twymenburr

BLACK HORNET II
Established Member
Thanks for your input Yellow Horse. How much HP are you making? Have you done suspension work to yours?

Yellow Horse

Established Member
Thanks for your input Yellow Horse. How much HP are you making? Have you done suspension work to yours?

I never did a stock baseline pull. With a 2.8 KB and Dynatech 1-7/8 headers and their catted x-pipe the car made 680 rwhp SAE with a jon Lund mail order tune at 18 psi.

I swapped in a 3.6 KB this summer. I have not dyno'd it since I plan on taking it to Fastlane sometime in February for a dyno-tune after I finish installing a set of 4.10's and a few other things. I was going to do it over the Holidays but ended up doing a bunch of mods on a buddy's 2013 including LT's. Kind took some steam out of my ass to work on mine.

twymenburr

BLACK HORNET II
Established Member
Very nice numbers... keep me posted on your numbers
did you have to do any oher fuel system upgrades injectors? pumps? meter?

Hkaiser83

I am Captain Dynaball.
Established Member
I had two 03 cobras and I gotta say even though one of those Cobras were faster I definitely love the Shelby MUCH more. More refined, everything more solid, etc. I don't care if I lose races...I love this car.

Rob Nelson

Established Member
I had two 2004 cobra and I gotta say they were great cars but the newer GT500's and 5.0 GT's are just way more refined and just as capable cars when modded right!!!

backinastang

Established Member
I love the 2010 to current Mustangs so much I went from being a die hard chevy fan to being a ford fan. I use to have a few camaros with plate frames that read, I eat mustangs and shit cobras. Now I'm going to buy one that reads I eat camaros and shit vettes.

Users who are viewing this thread