'03 Cobra Vert vs. '11 5.0

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
A co-worker that I raced in his old '11 5.0 (and beat from a roll) got a new one recently that is a base model and should weigh a bit less followed me out to the "spot" on the way home today.

1st Race: Dig, he honked it off and I launched at about 2,500 rpm...instantly smoked my completely worn out 555R's and he jumped out about a car. I shifted to 2nd and smoked the tires again. This gave him another car. I pedaled it and we kept running up to about 120. I was closing the gap up until the point we had to shut down.

2nd Race: 35 mph roll, he honked it off again, both in 2nd gear. I hit it as soon as I heard the 3rd honk and jumped out a little more than half a car, he went from 2nd to 5th instead of 3rd and I obviously destroyed him.

3rd Race: 35 mph roll, his honk, both in 2nd again. I waited until I heard him hit it and nailed it. Instantly made up his quarter car lead, pulled even, Flawless shift to 3rd by both of us and I started walking away. Shifted to fourth and I was about 2 cars ahead and still pulling pretty good. Shut down close to 130 and I was ahead by 2-3.

4th Race: Botched start...I was pulling up alongside in second and thought he hit it so I punched it just as I heard him honk so I let off. About a millisecond later he quit honking and just went for it. I made up his one car lead and by 4th I was once again out front by a couple.

If he gets a cold air intake, upgraded exhaust, and a tune it'll be real interesting. :beer: I think a new 5.0 is about to become my next daily driver!

Last edited:

4.6mustang5.0

ModularFive.ohohoh
Established Member
i have been trying real hard to get a clean run w/ a 5.0, almost had a chance but we hit traffic

i should put a length on one but who knows

Edit... And G.K. OP

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
i have been trying real hard to get a clean run w/ a 5.0, almost had a chance but we hit traffic

i should put a length on one but who knows

Edit... And G.K. OP

The only mods I have are a JLT Fenderwell CAI and Bassani Off-Road X-Pipe. With a 2.76 upper, you should destroy one!

4.6mustang5.0

ModularFive.ohohoh
Established Member
yeah, technically i should kill one but who knows on the streets

regardless they are sick cars, on your jlt cai does your filter have good fitment?? when my bro owned my car thats the cai that came with it and it was always contacting the wheel well and fender no matter how it was positioned

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
yeah, technically i should kill one but who knows on the streets

regardless they are sick cars, on your jlt cai does your filter have good fitment?? when my bro owned my car thats the cai that came with it and it was always contacting the wheel well and fender no matter how it was positioned

I haven't had any fitment issues with the filter, but it is a pain the ass to service. I've been having some idle issues so I cleaned it the other day in order to make sure that wasn't the problem. I had to jack the car up, remove the wheel, and then remove the fenderwell liner...not really all that difficult, but time consuming. I might switch to the model most people are running that puts the filter in the engine bay. I've also had issues while driving in heavy rain with it...it sucks up water like a shop vac, throws codes, and makes the car buck like a mule.

4.6mustang5.0

ModularFive.ohohoh
Established Member
when we first bought it the filter would pop out of the fenderwell while driving and make the plastic rub on the front tire... so he purchased the c&l Ram air intake

if i were you id definately pulley ur cobra and get a solid tune, make a world of a difference

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
when we first bought it the filter would pop out of the fenderwell while driving and make the plastic rub on the front tire... so he purchased the c&l Ram air intake

if i were you id definately pulley ur cobra and get a solid tune, make a world of a difference

Funny you say that...I've spent the last 8 months assembling a shit ton of parts. I sanded and painted a Stage V blower gloss black, gloss black COP covers, 2.76 upper, polished idler pulleys, supporting fuel mods, etc. I can't wait until I go on leave in December so I can finally put it all on and get it tuned!

ramstein

Established Member
Sounds like you had fun:beer:! I have driven several 5.0s and none of them really felt like what I expected them to feel after hearing all the hype about how fast they are. Launching 5.0 seems to be a lot easier but my upper only cobra vert pulls so much harder in 3d, and 2nd is not even comparable. I have friend with 01 z06 with intake and catback(doesn't add much power) and that z06 pulls much harder as well. Honestly I'm not sure if 5.0 would be any faster than the new SS from a high roll. I'd love to see what difference CAI, exhaust, and a good tune will make on a 5.0 though. Sounds to me like some people overate them a little. I have heard some 5.0 owners telling everybody that they beat c5z06 and c6 in their stock 5.0

Last edited:

4.6mustang5.0

ModularFive.ohohoh
Established Member
Funny you say that...I've spent the last 8 months assembling a shit ton of parts. I sanded and painted a Stage V blower gloss black, gloss black COP covers, 2.76 upper, polished idler pulleys, supporting fuel mods, etc. I can't wait until I go on leave in December so I can finally put it all on and get it tuned!

Sounds like your in for a good time:beer:

Quickstang5o

Established Member
These to cars are pretty even stock vs stock. The 5.0s are very smooth. Good kill. I've been looking for a cobra to run.

thecrimson

Derpin
Established Member
Had both... the pullied cobra is definitely faster than a stock 5.0. I think the reason people overrated these cars is because a lot of people have never driven something with 400 hp. I remember thinking my 200hp honda Accord was fast. Fact is, until then, I had never driven anything as quick so indeed it felt fast as hell.

The 5.0 is the all around better car. I doubt many would deny that (save for fanboys and the like). Then again it's apples to oranges as the terminator is almost 10 years older. That being said, the 03-04 is a beast even in stock form. Obviously both cars can be built up to make good power, but if I was to go off of all around refinement, comfort, handling, reliability and useable power, my vote would go to the GT.

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
Had both... the pullied cobra is definitely faster than a stock 5.0. I think the reason people overrated these cars is because a lot of people have never driven something with 400 hp. I remember thinking my 200hp honda Accord was fast. Fact is, until then, I had never driven anything as quick so indeed it felt fast as hell.

The 5.0 is the all around better car. I doubt many would deny that (save for fanboys and the like). Then again it's apples to oranges as the terminator is almost 10 years older. That being said, the 03-04 is a beast even in stock form. Obviously both cars can be built up to make good power, but if I was to go off of all around refinement, comfort, handling, reliability and useable power, my vote would go to the GT.

Traitor!!! Just kidding, I've been debating what to do for a daily driver for a while now. My '98 GT fit the bill for the better part of the past 13 years, but it's parked in the garage being turned into a strip/road track car. My Cobra has assumed daily driver duties, but I want to go back to just driving it when it's nice out, especially after I get the engine bay all polished a modded out. I'm looking at getting either a low mileage used GT500 or new 5.0 as a daily driver...choices, choices...

Last edited:

thecrimson

Derpin
Established Member
Traitor!!! Just kidding, I've been debating what to do for a daily driver for a while now. My '98 GT fit the bill for the better part of the past 13 years, but it's parked in the garage being turned into a strip/road track car. My Cobra has assumed daily driver duties, but I want to go back to just driving it when it's nice out, especially after I get the engine bay all polished a modded out. I'm looking at getting either a low mileage used GT500 or new 5.0 as a daily driver...choices, choices...

To me it would depend on what year GT500, older one... I'd go with the GT. Newer GT500? Game over. Then again, I like not having a HUGE car payment so for me, I'd still probably go with the GT. And when I get my procharger in the next year....whoooooaaaa momma

thecrimson

Derpin
Established Member
Bolt on 5.0 vs Bolt on Cobra I would bet on the Cobra all day long.

And yeah, you're probably right as far as straight up raw performance. To me though, using the car(s) as a DD, the GT had me.

Just don't forget, this is all NA power. (would a TS Kenne Bell be considered bolt on?) lol

Last edited:

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
To me it would depend on what year GT500, older one... I'd go with the GT. Newer GT500? Game over. Then again, I like not having a HUGE car payment so for me, I'd still probably go with the GT. And when I get my procharger in the next year....whoooooaaaa momma

Leaning towards the '07-'08 GT500's simply because I am addicted to the supercharger whine!...looking for somewhat of a low payment and slap a pulley/exhaust/tune combo on it for a high horsepower daily driver.

Last edited:

thecrimson

Derpin
Established Member
Leaning towards the '07-'08 GT500's simply because I am addicted to the supercharger whine!...looking for somewhat of a low payment and slap pulley/exhaust/tune combo on it for a high horsepower daily driver.

Believe me. I know what you're talking about. If there's one thing I miss it's screaming past unsuspecting drivers and seeing the "WHAT THE F*CK WAS THAT!!??" looks on their faces....lol. Good times.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
And yeah, you're probably right as far as straight up raw performance. To me though, using the car(s) as a DD, the GT had me.

Just don't forget, this is all NA power. (would a TS Kenne Bell be considered bolt on?) lol

Don't get me wrong I really like the new 5.0 also it's just going to take a blower on it to hang with a basic modded 500. A full bolt-on 500 would still work a blown 5.0 from a roll. I would also be careful on how much hp you push on the 5.0 motor. On the other hand the 500 motor is considered pretty much bullet proof to at least 750 whp.

If I bought a 5.0 to DD I would just do some basic bolt ons and call it a day. Then randomly prey on unsuspecting camaros. :lol1:

4.6mustang5.0

ModularFive.ohohoh
Established Member
Don't get me wrong I really like the new 5.0 also it's just going to take a blower on it to hang with a basic modded 500. A full bolt-on 500 would still work a blown 5.0 from a roll. I would also be careful on how much hp you push on the 5.0 motor. On the other hand the 500 motor is considered pretty much bullet proof to at least 750 whp.

If I bought a 5.0 to DD I would just do some basic bolt ons and call it a day. Then randomly prey on unsuspecting camaros. :lol1:

i got a buddy w/ a 4v 5.0 here in tx that will run any basic modded 500 from roll or stop and put 2-3 lengths on it, have seen it done, he is running the vortech kit w/ 9 lbs of boost

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
i got a buddy w/ a 4v 5.0 here in tx that will run any basic modded 500 from roll or stop and put 2-3 lengths on it, have seen it done, he is running the vortech kit w/ 9 lbs of boost

Are you talking "basic" upper/CAI/tune ones then yes, or upper/lower/CAI/tune/ported then no I don't think so. Then again anything is possible on the street. What is his whp numbers with that set-up? Where are you guys at in tx?

Users who are viewing this thread