'03 Cobra Vert vs. '11 5.0

4.6mustang5.0

ModularFive.ohohoh
Established Member
Are you talking "basic" upper/CAI/tune ones then yes, or upper/lower/CAI/tune/ported then no I don't think so. Then again anything is possible on the street. What is his whp numbers with that set-up? Where are you guys at in tx?

yeah when you said basic i basically see a upper/cai/exhaust/tune gt500, may not be the same for everyone but thats what i see

Im in houston, buddy lives in dallas, he as the vortech supercharger A2A cooled with a 3.6 pulley, he puts down 600rwhp, and she hooks good

thecrimson

Derpin
Established Member
Don't get me wrong I really like the new 5.0 also it's just going to take a blower on it to hang with a basic modded 500. A full bolt-on 500 would still work a blown 5.0 from a roll. I would also be careful on how much hp you push on the 5.0 motor. On the other hand the 500 motor is considered pretty much bullet proof to at least 750 whp.

If I bought a 5.0 to DD I would just do some basic bolt ons and call it a day. Then randomly prey on unsuspecting camaros. :lol1:

The GT500 is a whole 'nother animal. I was comparing the 5.0 to the terminator. I would hope the GT500 would kill the 5.0?? What is it around 20k more?

Last edited:

4.6mustang5.0

ModularFive.ohohoh
Established Member
yeah stock to stock the 500 would dust the 5.0, bolt on to bolt on still the 500 out front, but if you boost the 5.0 and have a bolt on 500 its a different story, the 5.0 wakes up and runs like a raped ape

04JUIC

ZY Vert
Established Member
Traitor!!! Just kidding, I've been debating what to do for a daily driver for a while now. My '98 GT fit the bill for the better part of the past 13 years, but it's parked in the garage being turned into a strip/road track car. My Cobra has assumed daily driver duties, but I want to go back to just driving it when it's nice out, especially after I get the engine bay all polished a modded out. I'm looking at getting either a low mileage used GT500 or new 5.0 as a daily driver...choices, choices...

I have an 04 mach 1 and im in the same situation, ive never had a s/c car. But everytime I ride in my friends port/pulley bolt on 03 cobra I just love the blower screaming. So im torn between the 07-09 500 or a new 5.0 also lol :beer: FML

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
yeah when you said basic i basically see a upper/cai/exhaust/tune gt500, may not be the same for everyone but thats what i see

Im in houston, buddy lives in dallas, he as the vortech supercharger A2A cooled with a 3.6 pulley, he puts down 600rwhp, and she hooks good

That 5.0 does sound deadly, all you guys that post in road kill seem to be around Dallas or Cali. :(

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
yeah stock to stock the 500 would dust the 5.0, bolt on to bolt on still the 500 out front, but if you boost the 5.0 and have a bolt on 500 its a different story, the 5.0 wakes up and runs like a raped ape

I agree with the above but I'll add one more catagory. Blown 5.0 against a twin screw 500 and it's not close anymore, again.

4.6mustang5.0

ModularFive.ohohoh
Established Member
:rockon:if i had a choice i would go the blown 5.0 route, it would be cheaper than a new gt500 and you could outrun it, but i understand with the gt500 u get a better suspension, and body kit, and not to mention the cool badging, but it would funny to see the look on gt500 owners when you scream past them

javierrflores

svt
Established Member
I agree with the above but I'll add one more catagory. Blown 5.0 against a twin screw 500 and it's not close anymore, again.

haha i would love to see the race, but yeah the 500 with a TS is deadly and would smash the 5.0

man i dont know.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNKUnwilWZA&feature=player_embedded"]2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Kenne Bell 3.6 liquid cooled s/c - YouTube[/nomedia]

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
3.6LC 5.0 is a ticking time bomb, twin screw 500 is not. My money is going to be on the 500 when you start reaching for more HP.

There is no doubt in my mind the 5.0 can be made just as fast I wonder what the longevity would be though. I guess time will tell with the 5.0 but the 500 has been out for years and proven to handle high hp which is a big reason I went with the Shelby.

Users who are viewing this thread