'03 Cobra vs '02 M3: Props to the M3 even though driver was COCKY

ultimate_weapon

Established Member
M3 and C32 are great cars and yes fast, but they are a dime a dozen here, but I have yet to see another '03 since I got my car in april, I feel so special:-D

Dave07997S

Established Member
Mr Payne. Yes they are SSR GT3's.

M-Phibian, thanks. Funny thing is I'm getting pretty much the same combo as before just with Nav. I didn't like the ride with the 19" SSR's, and I thought corner exit speed was hurt with the shorter side wall. I am going OEM 18" with the 245/275 combo Bridgestone SO3's.

Ultimate Wagon, you are so right. You ought to see how bad it is in Los Angeles. You can't throw a rock without hitting a C32 AMG or M3. What did amaze me is that I never saw a Imola Red M3 Coupe, a boat load of Carbon Black, Ti Silver, and Jet Black. Dave.

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
My dad owns a 2003 M3. 0-60 in 4.6 and 1/4 in like 13.4 or something. My cobra feels a lot faster. M3 can definitely outhandle my stock suspension Cobra though. I borrow it everyonce in a while and take it through some twisty roads. It's definitely a fun car. I may buy one as a daily driver in a couple of years, or wait for my dad to sell me his :)

NVNM8OR

Established Member
I have both an M3 SMG and a new 03 Cobra Vert. They both bring something a little different to the table. It depends on the mood I am in and if I can pry the keys from my wifes hands to "toss" the M around a bit.

The previous statments about balance of the M are all true. It is a kick in the pants to drive. Everything from the singing quads, venting the straight six to the rifined, "tight" ride. And all the finished German trimmings. The SMG is way too much fun, especially when you are playing in the twisties.

But, ultimately I personnally enjoy going topless while the blender under the hood screams to make a "rice" shakes when you stuff the throttle. The cobra is raw and that is what you expect.

Both cars are sweet, I would not trade either one!

Imperial Pose

Winning Is A Habit
Established Member
Dave01M3, thanks for all the info.
Ditto
i give a lot of respect to M3's...they have a lot of class and huge ballz for the type of vehicle......
Ditto
The cobra is raw and that is what you expect.
Bottom line. I've owned an Alfa Romeo, an Audi, and driven on the autobahn. I was getting so "refined", I felt like I was in a straight-jacket. Every person is different.

Last edited:

Wild Bill

Established Member
Those M3s sure are beautiful.Anyways,dont be too hard on yourself.Its hard playing catch-up when somebody gets the jump on you.If your car is only 1/2 sec faster that can be nullified easy.Being in the wrong gear will only make things worse(10x). I was trying to run a C5 vette once and they were jumping the hell out of me,and acting like they were kicking my a$$.I finnally got them at a light.I was the car behind them and still smoked them. Moral of the story is...some people will be delusional dumba$$e$. Dont sweat it. Good kill!

shanker

Cheesecake FTW!
Established Member
the M3 is N/A, the 03+ Cobra is S/C'd

If the M3 had and iron block 4.6L with the added weight of a supercharger it'd dip just as hard as the Cobra if not more. Not to mention the fact that the Cobra and M3 arent targetted anywhere near each other. Theres an assload more engineering in the M3 and if the Cobra was designed to compete with it it'd end up costing around the same. There's a car out there for everyone an NONE of them are perfect. the goal is to pick whats perfect for you:beer:

Dave07997S

Established Member
If the M3 had and iron block 4.6L with the added weight of a supercharger it'd dip just as hard as the Cobra if not more. Not to mention the fact that the Cobra and M3 arent targetted anywhere near each other. Theres an assload more engineering in the M3 and if the Cobra was designed to compete with it it'd end up costing around the same. There's a car out there for everyone an NONE of them are perfect. the goal is to pick whats perfect for

Shanker the M3 with its S54 powerplant to live at 8K rpm does have a iron block. Also with its I6 engine and the crank being so long also was further reason for the iron block. The piston speed of the S54 powerplant approaches that of a F1 car. Dave.

shanker

Cheesecake FTW!
Established Member
iron block 4.6L

The point I was making is that there is a considerable weight difference in the engines. there's no way the M3 engine weighs what the Cobras does not to mention the supercharger. That will drastically change the handling characteristics.

Users who are viewing this thread