'03 Cobra vs '02 M3: Props to the M3 even though driver was COCKY

M-Phibian

Established Member
Uh, ya...okay...that's what I meant. You should forget about turning your cars.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by 03DOHC
I hear the ricers say this about American cars all the time. hmmm.:bored: I guess I should forget about turning.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Pyro

Established Member
Dave01M3,
That is definitely some good info and good info is what these forums are all about. Be careful because you might give Bimmer owners a good name. :p Glad to have you on the boards and hope you stick around.

Silver 03 Cobra

I had one pass me the other night on a double yellow line running about 50 mph over the posted speed limit. He almost clipped my front end when he cut in on me. I almost gave chase. If he had pulled over in the next town I would have had a short talk with him. Probably some little piss ant that saw me pass up the road and was going to "show" me. He showed me alright.

SoCAl, that's exactly why I gave up street racing. It doesn't prove a damn thing. Well maybe one thing. Put a pulley on it and invite him down to the local track. Odds are the little shit won't show. He'll frig up oneday and he'll be in jail. Just don't let it happen to you. Blow them off. You don't have to prove anything.

702lightning

Sck Snake
Established Member
Well there the ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE. DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH didnt you know that. JK anyway I love the M3 but you will not have any problems owning him from a roll.;-)

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
Credit to the M3- I was choosing between the new M3 and the 03. The M is a superior all-around car IMHO, but frankly BMW lost my coin because there's just no where to go with them from a "practical" performance standpoint. For a very minimal investment in $ and time, the 03 is an absolute ROCKET. Sure, it's not an M or Z06, but it has every other car on the planet beat in terms of bang-for-the-buck.

In any event, you should have had little or no problem with the M at all, even with a single driver.

Orange Poison

Established Member
I wouldn't buy a Bimmer if it had 500 hp. The ones I've run into and rev on me....I clean their clocks everytime. I have no mercy on any Bimmer. Sorry for the rant, but most Bimmer drivers tend to be dicks from my personal experience.

Dave07997S

Established Member
I wouldn't buy a Bimmer if it had 500 hp. The ones I've run into and rev on me....I clean their clocks everytime. I have no mercy on any Bimmer. Sorry for the rant, but most Bimmer drivers tend to be dicks from my personal experience.

Thats what makes this country great...to each his own. Just re-read your own statement and whose being the dick now? Not trying to be overly harsh or anything but your statement such as the one you just made doesn't show you in a good light, maybe you don't care. The BMW M3 websites have their mixture of immature posts-such as yours, as well as a lot of auto enthusiasts who love cars regardless of the make. If you want to flame away go ahead :rollseyes Dave

Last edited:

Dave07997S

Established Member
We have to get real here! I have ran more than a few M3's in my car on the highway, and it is no competition. Not being smug - just stating true life facts. From 50 to 100 you should have so many cars on a M3 that they would give up. The right gear makes all the difference. M3's are damn nice cars - I will give them their due, but they have 333 HP and weigh 3,400 lbs. vs. our cars at an underrated 390 HP and 3,600 lbs. - and the aerodynamics don't give any advantage to either car here. Next time make sure you hit the right gear and take all chances of smack talk away.

There is no argument here...even if you go on to roadfly or bimmerworld they all know this. Throw in a few turns however and the outcome will be quite different. ;-) Also remember, the M3 is doing what it does with only 3.2L I6 N/A and its only a few tenths off in the 1/4 mile in stock form. The 4.6L DOHC engine even with its S/C ing is only making near 85hp/litre while the M3 is making over 101hp/litre N/A. Lee Rutter (former Mustang Drag racer) has run a 12.74 @108mph in a bone stock M3, granted the weather was darn near perfect with its 37deg. F and he was ripping off 1.74 60 ft. times with a completly stock setup. There was a article in MM&FF that did a write up on the M3 along with the 03 comparison of the SS and 03 Cobra. Dave.

Mr Payne

Established Member
"Also remember, the M3 is doing what it does with only 3.2L I6 N/A and its only a few tenths off in the 1/4 mile in stock form. The 4.6L DOHC engine even with its S/C ing is only making near 85hp/litre while the M3 is making over 101hp/litre N/A."

Shouldn't it also be noted that the 4.6L V8 doesn't have an extreme engine failure capability?

Established Member
Originally posted by Mr Payne
"Also remember, the M3 is doing what it does with only 3.2L I6 N/A and its only a few tenths off in the 1/4 mile in stock form. The 4.6L DOHC engine even with its S/C ing is only making near 85hp/litre while the M3 is making over 101hp/litre N/A."

Shouldn't it also be noted that the 4.6L V8 doesn't have an extreme engine failure capability?

Let's see, over 20,000 m3's produced, 210 engine failuers. So, that is what, less than 1% of total production? Give the engine failure thing a rest.

Pyro

Established Member
Let's not get into the HP/Liter arguement because we can always bring in the $/HP arguement.(Especially since modded Cobras are pumping 460 rwhp from the 4.6 liter....do the math) Both cars are great vehicles for their intended purposes and target markets. They have their strengths and weakness. I, personally, like them both but it was the bang-for-the-buck that sold me on the Cobra. Kudos to the M3 but I just couldn't pull it off in my current stage in life (or current state of WIFE...see sig). Ask me in about 5 years and it may be a different story.

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by Pyro
Let's not get into the HP/Liter arguement because we can always bring in the $/HP arguement.(Especially since modded Cobras are pumping 460 rwhp from the 4.6 liter....do the math) Both cars are great vehicles for their intended purposes and target markets. They have their strengths and weakness. I, personally, like them both but it was the bang-for-the-buck that sold me on the Cobra. Kudos to the M3 but I just couldn't pull it off in my current stage in life (or current state of WIFE...see sig). Ask me in about 5 years and it may be a different story.
Some modded 03 Cobra's are doing 720+rwhp on the stock internals,;-) and I heard the x2c guys are going with a bigger turbo.

I better leave early for work tomorrow, god knows I'll have a difficult time turning out of my driveway. I wish these things could go around turns so I can stop using this jack to lift the front of my car to change directions. No wonder it takes so long to get to work, there are too many turns.

M-Phibian

Established Member
Uh-oh...It looks like the handling issue (or lack thereof) is a very sensitive issue with you. All is not lost though my friend...at least your car can go really fast in a straight line.:D

Originally posted by 03DOHC
Some modded 03 Cobra's are doing 720+rwhp on the stock internals,;-) and I heard the x2c guys are going with a bigger turbo.

I better leave early for work tomorrow, god knows I'll have a difficult time turning out of my driveway. I wish these things could go around turns so I can stop using this jack to lift the front of my car to change directions. No wonder it takes so long to get to work, there are too many turns.

Dave07997S

Established Member
Let's not get into the HP/Liter arguement because we can always bring in the $/HP arguement.(Especially since modded Cobras are pumping 460 rwhp from the 4.6 liter....do the math) Both cars are great vehicles for their intended purposes and target markets. They have their strengths and weakness. I, personally, like them both but it was the bang-for-the-buck that sold me on the Cobra. Kudos to the M3 but I just couldn't pull it off in my current stage in life (or current state of WIFE...see sig). Ask me in about 5 years and it may be a different story

Pyros, the M3 is N/A, the 03+ Cobra is S/C'd. Thats why the M3's #'s are so impressive to begin with is just for that fact off the bat. Also, the cost in the M3 is more than just the engine. Its the rest of the car as well. Don't get me wrong, read my sig I love Cobras. The M3 does everything else head and shoulders above what a Cobra does but as it should its 15K more in money. No doubt about it though the Cobra is the best bang for the buck in history IMHO.

Neither did the M3, and to reassure M3 owners BMW stepped up to the plate (as Ford did with the 99 Cobras) and recalled the affected build dates and gave MY 01-03 a 6yr/100K mile warranty. What is unfortunate is that my 04 won't be getting this warranty as supposedly they have this problem fixed. From the #;s that are now being produced by BMW (the build #'s are getting what they are building for SVT Cobras per year now) it looks like they did lick this problem. I hope anyway..:) Dave

03CobraCCC

Wheaton Warbird!
Established Member
i give a lot of respect to M3's...they have a lot of class and huge ballz for the type of vehicle......

a lot of M3 guys are nice too, my friend has a 97 M3 E36, and he posted a bunch of pictures of his car and mine.........he kept tellin' me of all the people who were envious of the cobra.....

M-Phibian

Established Member
Only 15K more? Wow. You must have gotten a *great* deal on your M3, Dave.

Originally posted by Dave01M3
Pyros, the M3 is N/A, the 03+ Cobra is S/C'd. Thats why the M3's #'s are so impressive to begin with is just for that fact off the bat. Also, the cost in the M3 is more than just the engine. Its the rest of the car as well. Don't get me wrong, read my sig I love Cobras. The M3 does everything else head and shoulders above what a Cobra does but as it should its 15K more in money. No doubt about it though the Cobra is the best bang for the buck in history IMHO.

Neither did the M3, and to reassure M3 owners BMW stepped up to the plate (as Ford did with the 99 Cobras) and recalled the affected build dates and gave MY 01-03 a 6yr/100K mile warranty. What is unfortunate is that my 04 won't be getting this warranty as supposedly they have this problem fixed. From the #;s that are now being produced by BMW (the build #'s are getting what they are building for SVT Cobras per year now) it looks like they did lick this problem. I hope anyway..:) Dave

Last edited:

Dave07997S

Established Member
Only 15K more? Wow. You must have gotten a *great* deal on your M3, Dave

Actually got it for 500 off of MSRP. I ordered the following..IR/Blk leather coupe, moonroof, Nav, Xeons, alum trim, and the HK. I still have a Eisenmann Race exhaust from my 01 and a set of Euro headers and cats that I never installed on my 01 (just waiting to be installed on the 04...yea BABY!!:D ) MSRP came to 53650 with the gas guzzler tax, I'm getting it for 53150. I'm doing a 48 mos. lease at 723.00 per month with only 2K in cap reduction which includes the tax. Dave.

Dave07997S

Established Member
BTW a pic of my 01 M3
M3 side 4-03.JPG

M-Phibian

Established Member
Cool:D Mine has everything but nav and I got it right at MSRP, $59k (the 19's and SMG are expensive). Anyway..love the car, bro!

Originally posted by Dave01M3
Actually got it for 500 off of MSRP. I ordered the following..IR/Blk leather coupe, moonroof, Nav, Xeons, alum trim, and the HK. I still have a Eisenmann Race exhaust from my 01 and a set of Euro headers and cats that I never installed on my 01 (just waiting to be installed on the 04...yea BABY!!:D ) MSRP came to 53650 with the gas guzzler tax, I'm getting it for 53150. I'm doing a 48 mos. lease at 723.00 per month with only 2K in cap reduction which includes the tax. Dave.

Users who are viewing this thread