03 Cobra vs. 03 Cobra

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
Coming back from a friends house in Pasadena, so I hit the 210 East and first thing I see is a clean white 03/04 Cobra up ahead in the fast lane. I catch up and do a modest pass to see if he's interested. He swings behind me and follows- the fun is ON. :)

There are small breaks in traffic where we're able to have a few seconds of quick fun. First thing I notice is the white Cobra is pretty quick. He'd pull on me hard during his bursts. Hard enough that I first thought he had a KB. He'd put 1-2 cars on me 2 seconds.

Traffic finally clears and we both hit the 605 south in LA. Traffic there is very light and it's a 5 lane freeway so we're able to play a little more for extended runs and I notice something odd- We'd hit it about the same time and he'd put 1-2 cars on me quick, but then as I wound out 4th from (about 70-80 mph on up), i'd catch him in about 3-4 seconds and it seemed the faster we went the harder *I* pulled away from *him*. Even if I got the jump by a car, he'd at least make that up before it evened out.

If you didn't know what either one had it would have looked like I was running a Vortech and him an Eaton. Anyone speculate why? I'm guessing the white Cobra had gears ;-)

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Timing, a/f ratio up top, belt slip, gears, different exhaust. I raced a mystichrome cobra with 6# lower very even compared to my 2.9 just as the formula predicts.

jk03cobra

Established Member
What RPM do you shift at? Just curious because you stating you are winding out 4th somewhere in 70-80MPH range. 70-80MPH you should just be hitting 3rd gear (I believe right around 70 is redline for 2nd gear). Could be your problem if your statement was accurate. Hope that helps.

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
Originally posted by jk03cobra
What RPM do you shift at? Just curious because you stating you are winding out 4th somewhere in 70-80MPH range. 70-80MPH you should just be hitting 3rd gear (I believe right around 70 is redline for 2nd gear). Could be your problem if your statement was accurate. Hope that helps.

I downshifted to 4th around 70-80 and thats where all the runs were, but I'll give 3rd a try on the way in this morning :beer:

WDW MKR

Established Member
Definitely due to the 4th gear downshift. He was in his powerband and you weren't. Like jk03cobra suggested, give 3rd a try!! :beer:

Pyro

Established Member
I agree. 4th is too tall at 70-80 mph. Hell, I'm in 3rd screaming at 4K+rpms and it's takes off. I have to quickly shift to third but the 3rd gear punch would put me in front. Let us know.

PunishR

Established Member
Nice.......I'm near that area you were racing on the 210 and 605 black cobra w/ Kenne Bell ......hehehe It was not me though or I would have had about 12 cars on you
KB, 55lbs
BFG Drags and alot of other goodies

Users who are viewing this thread