03 Cobra vs. 03 Mercedes CLK 55 AMG

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
Though i'd have a little fun this weekend and dropped by the local 76 for 1/2 tank of 103 VP gas, flipped the Autologic chip to the race-tune and headed out on PCH. The weather along the coast was cool- mid-60s or just under. The numbers below are what it put out on a simular day SAE- actual uncorrected numbers were 489 rwhp and 499 rwtq on the "race" tune.

After an unsuccessful afternoon of C5's, a Viper and ricers that wouldn't bite, I rolled up next to a new Mercedes CLK 55 AMG at a light- black, great looking car. The driver roles down his window and says:

"Heard those are pretty quick- mind if I run you, I want to see how I do off the line against your car". I said "sure!". Now the new pumpkin went in 3 week ago as a dealer fix for the leak and I've had fairly decent traction in 2nd lately and hoped it would help plant the KD's.

Well.. race gas, race tune and cool coastal weather make for an extremely difficult launch. The Merc hits hard; I feather 1st and get nothing but smoke, sliding all over the place :bash: , the Merc is 2-3 cars ahead and pulling HARD; I short-shift 2nd and the rear end fishtails at a 30 degree arc :burnout: and almost crosses into the adjoining lane right lane; I let off 2nd before I end up facing the wrong way, hit it again, more smoke but holding straight, the big Merc is about 3+ cars past me, I hit 3rd still spinning, finally get traction and gain on the CLK- I'm at his rear bumper by the top of 3rd- a 2-3 car gain - and reading a 3-4 shift, but the next light is red so we start slowing down. I'm in 3rd at about 3k next to the Merc when the light goes green and we both slam it at the same time, side-by-side. Now the 03 is in its element; by mid-4th I was 2-3 cars past on the Merc and pulling away when he gave up.

A race is a race: rules dictate that I lost the first one and I'll take the loss against a worthy competetor. I'll claim a victory in the second race from a roll, but it's not as satisfying as one off the line. So I learned my lesson; and with the weather getting even cooler, DR's are really the only option!

GoatDaddy

sweet run. Surprising that the N/A CLK pulled on you so much in the beginning...MB's do have pretty good traction control, which would allow it to hook and go while you are doing a smokeshow.
Probably not too many Benzers who are willing to flog their car at a streetlight.

Pyro

Established Member
It sounds like if you hooked, it would have been a slaughter. I wonder what would have happened if you just did a 1/2 throttle launch then punched it after you achieved a 40 mph roll?

I used to not be able to relate to these stories until I installed the pulley and Predator. The pulley makes a big difference but I couldn't believe how much a good tune helped. Spinning the big 315 Sumis are no problem even in 2nd and 3rd gear. Nice runs!!

Users who are viewing this thread