'03 Cobra vs '04 Cobra?

Voice of Reason

Established Member
I'm considering getting a new Cobra but one of the things I have to work around is that my wife and I are building a house we won't close on it until the end of June. Because of that the earliest I could get one is the first week of July. When will the last '03 Cobras be built? I'm also having a problem finding any info on if there will be a '04 Cobra. I've seen a little about a anniversary edition that's going to come out but I don't care for the color/options on it. Will that anniversary model be a '03 or an '04? If it's an '04 will there be any normal '04s?

frank3si

Established Member
My understanding is there will be no new Cobra until the redesign is released, '05 at the earliest but many observers are speculating that delays may push that back by a year or even two. So, it would seem to be a "buy now or enjoy a long wait." I bought now! :thumbsup:

Frank

03CobraBro

Established Member
The rumor is the next cobra wont be out until 06 or 07. The anniv model is a 10th anniversery so its going to have to be an 03. Havent heard anything about a 2004 cobra.

CanyonOne

Established Member
Voice of Reason,
The Anniversary edition is the end of the 2003 model year that is supposes to be the last of the Cobra’s for 03. No solid info has been released on Cobra's for 04. My experience has been that plenty of regular 03 Cobra's will be on dealer’s lots or for sale slightly used. The most likely thing you will have to do is put the word out and travel to pick up or ship the car to your location. Right now supply has met demand. The local dealer who usually has markup stickers dropped them and then dropped another grand below MSRP. The two they had are gone but six more are on the way.

03SLOBRA

Trollin aint easy
Established Member
I've got fairly accurate info from a credable source that there will be 04 Cobra's just like the current style Cobra. Don't look for the 05 Mustang styled Cobra to be ready till mid 06 at the very best!

Gumball

Established Member
Voice, is this your first house? If so, be prepared for everything to be more expensive then you've planned for. I don't want to scare you if it is, but I've built one, and I have hundreds of clients who also have. It's hard to quantify, but money just seems to disapear when you build a house.

If I were you, I'd definitely wait. Get your house finished. Then take a real good look at your finances. Owning a house is great, but there is always something coming up. Yes even with a new house. There'll be plenty of these cars around (albeit used) 6 months from now. You'll really be in a pinch if you have to sell this car in 3 months because you're upside down with your finances, and now your going to take a $3-5K hit on selling this no longer new car. Be patient, you'll get it.

slow lane

proud daddy
Established Member
There are cobras sitting on the lots around here.

You should still be able to find one this fall. The options list is almost non-existant, so it ought to just be a question of color.

Plus if you buy one off the lot, you don't have to wait 4 months like those of us that ordered last February (2002).

Voice of Reason

Established Member
Originally posted by Gumball
Voice, is this your first house? If so, be prepared for everything to be more expensive then you've planned for. I don't want to scare you if it is, but I've built one, and I have hundreds of clients who also have. It's hard to quantify, but money just seems to disapear when you build a house.

If I were you, I'd definitely wait. Get your house finished. Then take a real good look at your finances. Owning a house is great, but there is always something coming up. Yes even with a new house. There'll be plenty of these cars around (albeit used) 6 months from now. You'll really be in a pinch if you have to sell this car in 3 months because you're upside down with your finances, and now your going to take a $3-5K hit on selling this no longer new car. Be patient, you'll get it.

Oh, I'm definately waiting until the house is finished. And yes, this is our first house, although we aren't your normal first time house buyers at both of us being 26 and me being a computer programmer and my wife being an attorney. We're building a house that is below what our max is because I have my toys (cars and electronics) and she has hers (clothes and trips).

One thing I have in my favor, but I'm still waiting until after the house is finished and we close, is that I already have a $600 a month car payment on the TA so a Cobra wouldn't be much more at all.

Voice of Reason

Established Member
Originally posted by I-R-BABOON
Your TA would be perfect if it was a M6 sorry you got the auto

Perfect for ???

I got it when I was living in Chicago and didn't want to deal with a manual, but my last car, a '95 GT, did have a 5 speed. I miss it now that I'm in a less populated area.

An auto LS1 + a good aftermarket torque converter is hard to beat at the strip though, unless of course you're in a '03 Cobra ;-)

frank3si

Established Member
Since SVT has avoided consecutive year Cobras, I think an '04 is extremely unlikely. The anniversary Cobras are scheduled for August builds and that should wrap up the '03 production. With SVT being pulled under the Ford Performance Group umbrella, and any dealer being able to sell FPG vehicles, I doubt if you'll see any new Cobra for quite a long time.

Frank

Mr.Mystic

Originally posted by frank3si
Since SVT has avoided consecutive year Cobras, I think an '04 is extremely unlikely.

What do you mean? 93 was non consec., 94-95 consec., 96-98 consec., 99-01 consec., 03-?. The only reason I see them not building an 04 model is if the dealers lots have plenty of 03 stock already sittin on the lot which is very possible. That means even if the 03 is non consec. they wont be worth any more than if there was an 04.

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Someone else had posted something last week about an '04 Mustang 40th anniversary Cobra. Said the color was to be "Mystichrome". No supporting info or links / pics were provided though.

Poison_S

Established Member
04 Cobra Possibility

Logical reasoning tells me that it is likely there will be a Cobra in 2004 - unfortunetly no inside info to offer.

Here you are, Ford, with all these extra parts lying around that will be obsolete in a year and a group of buyers willing to pay a premium for them.

Why not build another Cobra before the body style change?

Besides that, the years that have been mentioned when Cobras were not produced have had some sort of major change or problem. I would imagine that with the current Cobra that everything has been ironed-out and with the new Mustang in sight, producing a 2004 Cobra is not such a stretch of the imagination.

ZincDude

Blah
Established Member
I guess some of the 2004 v6 stangs will be running around with Cobra parts, like the hood and how about a supercharger!! Just kidding, except for maybe the hood. :coolman:

MP3_Stang

LabVIEW Guru
Established Member
Re: 04 Cobra Possibility

Originally posted by Poison_S
Logical reasoning tells me that it is likely there will be a Cobra in 2004 - unfortunetly no inside info to offer.

Here you are, Ford, with all these extra parts lying around that will be obsolete in a year and a group of buyers willing to pay a premium for them.

Why not build another Cobra before the body style change?

Besides that, the years that have been mentioned when Cobras were not produced have had some sort of major change or problem. I would imagine that with the current Cobra that everything has been ironed-out and with the new Mustang in sight, producing a 2004 Cobra is not such a stretch of the imagination.

Here is my "OPINION" on the chances of a '04 Cobra. First Ford is planing to make 12,000 '03 Cobras, I don't know if the 10th Av. Edition is included in the number or not. Either way it is the most Cobras they have made for any year. Second thing I noticed is Ford has rasied the MSRP on the Cobras 3 times now. This maybe because Ford decided not to make a '04 Cobra and had to get some of there "R&D" expensives back.:shrug:

03SLOBRA

Trollin aint easy
Established Member
No need for opinions or speculation, there will be an 04 Cobra. The 06 Cobra is the one under question though....

frank3si, the reason for some non-consecutive MY Cobra's has been due to problems with the car, 00 and 02 not that SVT/Ford wanted to just skip a year for the heck of it. Those were major blunders!

03CobraBro

Established Member
Re: Re: 04 Cobra Possibility

Originally posted by MP3_Stang
Here is my "OPINION" on the chances of a '04 Cobra. First Ford is planing to make 12,000 '03 Cobras, I don't know if the 10th Av. Edition is included in the number or not. Either way it is the most Cobras they have made for any year. Second thing I noticed is Ford has rasied the MSRP on the Cobras 3 times now. This maybe because Ford decided not to make a '04 Cobra and had to get some of there "R&D" expensives back.:shrug:

They only ended up making 6500 2003 Cobras though.

Users who are viewing this thread