'03 Cobra vs '05 C6

svt99rag

Established Member
I have posted about racing this same car before and thought this new race needed posted. My buddy in his vette C6 with Z51 package and Corsa catback is a little upset that I beat him our past couple races and asked me to race him again but from a roll. He was suprised that my Cobra having two minor mods (CAI and o/r X) beat him pretty bad (racing from a dig was a big factor in the first race) and thought he could at least hang with me. We headed out to our "racing facilities" and did our first run from a first gear pull around 20mph, I pulled around 5 cars by the end of third gear. Second run he wanted to go from around 45 in second, he hung with me in second but when I hit third I pulled around 2 cars by the top of third. Now the vette may be going to Lingenfelter for the heads cam package....now I am gonna have to start the mods!

blinelaxd27

Established Member
what the hell... his vette should trap 114-116 stock.... is it an auto or 6spd? tell him to invest in driving classes and forget about lingenfelter

C6 Z06

Established Member
blinelaxd27 said:
what the hell... his vette should trap 114-116 stock.... is it an auto or 6spd? tell him to invest in driving classes and forget about lingenfelter

It does sound like he needs to learn to use what he has first. :beer:

Slow Vette

Highway Junkie
Established Member
svt99rag said:
6 speed...he isnt a bad driver, it doesnt take much skill to race from a roll.

tell him to turn the traction control button off completely by just pressing the button in the center console, or its been turned off on these runs?

bunk22

Established Member
My 03 Cobra felt prett strong with just a cat-back and cai as well. My C6 with just a cat-back did not. The track verified that. I ran a guy I knew with an 05 Mustang GT...for fun...and though my C6 pulled him, it wasn't by that much. My car just seemed slow.....part of it me I guess but it should have been faster from the factory. I ended up having it tuned, took the TM out and it was a different beast. Added 4 mph alone in the 1/8th. I just don't know, was it a bad tune from the factory? The TM? Not all C6's are creatd equally.

UrS4

Established Member
Isn't the TM the torque management module that regulates the amount of power produced? I have heard that this module is slowing ET down due to GM's seriously complicated traction control system and that you can never completely disable it unless you use a tune to disable it.

05GTOguy

Established Member
5 cars by 3rd gear!!! Talk about a terrible running C6. I ran a GT500 and it was even to 145. Based on your 113mph trap, your car and a stock GT500 are about even as well. No way your pulling a well driven and well running C6 5 cars by 3rd gear.

I realize anything can happen on the street but 5 cars by 3rd gear shows something was up with your friends C6. He needs to see what his car is putting down for power.

svt99rag

Established Member
05GTOguy said:
5 cars by 3rd gear!!! Talk about a terrible running C6. I ran a GT500 and it was even to 145. Based on your 113mph trap, your car and a stock GT500 are about even as well. No way your pulling a well driven and well running C6 5 cars by 3rd gear.

I realize anything can happen on the street but 5 cars by 3rd gear shows something was up with your friends C6. He needs to see what his car is putting down for power.
read my post, I had 3 cars on him by the top of third gear. This was the 3rd and 4th race with him. He is not a bad driver but not the best, but from a roll he isnt too bad.

svt99rag

Established Member
BayareaSS said:
Wow! His c6 must be running like shit! Or he just cant drive.

Tell him to get his car checked out before he does anymore mods!
its not like my car is exactly slow, not really fast but can hang with most stock cars on the road

BayareaSS

Established Member
svt99rag said:
its not like my car is exactly slow, not really fast but can hang with most stock cars on the road

i'm not saying your car is slow. I know it is strong but just cant see it pulling on a c6 5 cars by 3rd gear.....but a win is a win.

C6 Vette

Established Member
UrS4 said:
Isn't the TM the torque management module that regulates the amount of power produced? I have heard that this module is slowing ET down due to GM's seriously complicated traction control system and that you can never completely disable it unless you use a tune to disable it.

What many ppl are unaware of is pressing the TC button only disables the TC....the active handling still remains....

IF YOU PRESS AND HOLD THE TC BUTTON FOR 5-8 SECONDS BOTH THE TRACTION CONTROL AND ACTIVE HANDLING ARE DISABLED...::D

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
C6 Vette said:
What many ppl are unaware of is pressing the TC button only disables the TC....the active handling still remains....

IF YOU PRESS AND HOLD THE TC BUTTON FOR 5-8 SECONDS BOTH THE TRACTION CONTROL AND ACTIVE HANDLING ARE DISABLED...::D

This should be learned before even test driving one! :nonono:

C6 Vette

Established Member
05GTOguy said:

+1

with his setup (catback + mid pipe) and trapping 113 there is no way he should be pulling a C6 at all. Your friend cant drive or there is something wrong with his ride...tell him to disable his TC and AH.

svt99rag

Established Member
C6 Vette said:
+1

with his setup (catback + mid pipe) and trapping 113 there is no way he should be pulling a C6 at all. Your friend cant drive or there is something wrong with his ride...tell him to disable his TC and AH.
I trapped 113 but that was the one and only run I had on the track in my car

JMD0346

Established Member
My buddy has an 07 C6. Its runs pretty well. It seems like it would be pretty even with a Cobra with your mods. Actually it should be a good race. Just because you think he can drive well doesnt mean he can. I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread