03 Cobra vs 11 Camaro SS

scog72

Established Member
Alright guys! This Saturday May 26, I will be racing a guy I work with. Nothing on the line with the race but I wanted to get your opinion of how bad I should get beat. First of all, we are racing at a 1/8 mile drag strip. I have the 03 cobra with Steeda CAI, weld in flowmasters, 3.1 pulley, and IRS brace. I will be going this week to get Mac LT, Mac prochamber, 2.8 pulley, idler, and tune put on my car. I also have a set of 03 deep dish cobra wheels I am going to throw on before the race that have MT et street bias plys.:rockon: This is where I hope to have a little advantage. Alright, on to his car, he has an 11 Camaro SS with vengeance cam and a supercharger (Not sure what kind) with full Stainless Works exhaust. He has been dynoed at 565 with these mods. The only issue is that right now, he only has street tires on 20" Foose wheels. I definitely am expecting to get beat, but hoping to make a respectable showing in the 1/8. I figure I will eventually really get beat at a 1/4 and even the 1/8 if he comes out with DR or slicks. So, how bad do yall think I should get beat? Any suggestions on how to race him on these tires? I am still running IRS with the billetflow IRS brace and would like to keep it together through this weekend.:rolling: Thanks for your help!

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
From a dig you will have a advantage, hes alot heavier, you should have better traction with ur tire and power to weight so from a dig you should win anything else or top end / roll he should walk by being weight doest mean as much once he gets up gets the heavy pig going lol goodluck but thats an unfair fight lol slap a whipple or kb on it and destroy him lol ? lol

Coyote414

Established Member
if you launch well you should pull a car and in the 1/8 im not sure if he will be able to pull you back in time, is he auto or manual?

scog72

Established Member
He has a six speed. I didn't launch very well with my 555r last time. Hoping this will help. What do y'all think would be a good starting point for me to launch. I have 20 psi now.

rubicon04

SVT Poster
Established Member
Oh and I have a convertible. A little more weight. But he is a big guy. Like 6'3". 460 lbs.

You mean obese guy :eek: , that honestly is enough weight to be a big time game changer for you. Its going to be moving down the track at over 4500 lbs ... a pig in a pig

Last edited:

scog72

Established Member
I hope its a good race. His car is mostly a show car - he will trailer it in. He has won several shows with it, but I hope that mine will run with his in the 1/8. I will be sure to save the slips and make sure everyone can see the results.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Oh and I have a convertible. A little more weight. But he is a big guy. Like 6'3". 460 lbs.

Not to be rude or anything but does he even fit inside that car?? My coworker went with a challenger because he claims he was too big for the 5th gen camaros. And he's only 6' 250lbs.

99PunisherSVT

Established Member
Me thinks he was exaggerating a bit at 450 lol. But anyways as mentioned before he might not have enough time on the 1/8th to reel you in. Those street tires are gonna melt before he gets enough traction to catch you.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I think you should get him if he does show up on street tires but I wouldnt be surprised if he showed up on DR's. If you could get a good launch you should take him.

You could get to the track a couple hours earlier and get some test runs in to find the right rpm and psi. You're probably gonna have to drop another 4-6 psi is my guess.

scog72

Established Member
Not to be rude or anything but does he even fit inside that car?? My coworker went with a challenger because he claims he was too big for the 5th gen camaros. And he's only 6' 250lbs.

I think he fits pretty tight. Just a big guy naturally with wide shoulders. Never seen him in it.

scog72

Established Member
Me thinks he was exaggerating a bit at 450 lol. But anyways as mentioned before he might not have enough time on the 1/8th to reel you in. Those street tires are gonna melt before he gets enough traction to catch you.

Actually if anything I was underestimating. ;-) He may be around 475 now. No joke.

scog72

Established Member
I think you should get him if he does show up on street tires but I wouldnt be surprised if he showed up on DR's. If you could get a good launch you should take him.

You could get to the track a couple hours earlier and get some test runs in to find the right rpm and psi. You're probably gonna have to drop another 4-6 psi is my guess.

I'm with you. Heard he was working on his car this past week but not sure what he was doing. I wish I could get there early but the gate don't open til 7 and they start racing around 7:30. We will both get there at the same time. This will be his first time at the track and just my second with the cobra, third overall. Should see some record times. haha

scog72

Established Member
Put a 2lb lower on it aswell and don't forget to bring a cooler full of ice for the I/c.

Would love to do this but the guy that is tuning my car said the 2.8 pulley was about as much as you can go without it being ported. Said it would not make as much power with different lower pulleys. Im not sure but he knows alot more than I do with it. Do you put ice in the intercooler or just put bags of ice on top of the intercooler? Thanks

Silver5Oh

Established Member
Would love to do this but the guy that is tuning my car said the 2.8 pulley was about as much as you can go without it being ported. Said it would not make as much power with different lower pulleys. Im not sure but he knows alot more than I do with it. Do you put ice in the intercooler or just put bags of ice on top of the intercooler? Thanks

Find a new tuner.

Users who are viewing this thread