'03 Cobra vs. '11 GT w/ exhaust

Todd03Blown

Established Member
Sorry dude, they did not make 3V motors in 2003. They made 4V motors in 2003-2004, and 99-01, etc. 3V's are found on the 05-2010 Mustangs.

Also, there are no 2005 4V Heads.

You do know, a Turbo Termi, running 10 PSI, is going to make probably around 550+ RWHP? That is on an 8 year old car. I take it you've never owned a Terminator. I've owned both a 3V GT, a 4V 03 Cobra, and will be going into my 3rd mustang shortly. While the 2011's are Great cars, why compare to an 8 year old car? Why not compare to the new "Termnator" and compare your GT to the 2011 GT500. No comparison. The GT500, or 2011 "Cobra" is way better than the GT. Before you start guessing numbers, that a 7 PSI will gain at least 50 % more RWHP, prove that it will with physical evidence, not a guess or an intelligent guess for that matter. Terminators proved themselves well before your GT came out. Yet, they still prove themselves against the 8 year new GT over and over. Says something about the Terminator huh.

Stop with the ricer talk. So far, the 400+ HP GT has yet to run faster than the fastest Terminator has run, even with Evan smith driving. The 2011 weighs less, has a solid rear, etc.

Enjoy your 2011. Don't be surprised when an old car with little to no modification is pulling you.

:bash::poke:

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
wtf do you think an 05 aviator has on its block?

when did i say anything about a 3v?

i guarantee i know more about modulars than you will EVER know. quit being a fanboy and looking at my post count thinking it makes YOU the expert.

Not worth it. Any guy that disagrees with you, since you are so self-conscious about your car, and your knowledge, that guy is an idiot, and you right off the bat know more than he does, because you owned two completely different cars, that are not even similar.

Good for you.

Last edited:

assasinator

1 N the head,2 N da chest
Established Member
you took my comments as an insult to termi's or as a pro5.0 thing. my comments are pro-modular. the basic 4.6 C head 03+ revision was great for its day. that day is past.

just like a late 50's chrysler hemi can still win at a track, so can the modular. but technology has moved on. and thats good for every modular fan.

ford of australia has a blown 5.0 coyote for the BA Falcon XR8 for 2011/12. 312kw rating is the rumor, but i bet its far higher.

mark my word, termi fans as well as modular fans in general will be flocking to the coyote in forged form. the new revision has fixed a gazillion early MOD defects.

as far as the thread goes, its going to take time to see of a coyote can be modded to 475rwhp or more. if it can , non ported termi's are gonna lose period.

463rwhp aint gonna cut it.

Last edited:

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
I wouldn't trade my cobra for anything except a c6 z06 or a 2011 gt500.

Nice kill, the new GTs are nice, and stock for stock maybe they are quicker than the terminators, but modding the terminator > modding '11 GT

Not necessarily.........

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c62zJ-4Bo48"]YouTube- First 2011 Mustang GT 5.0L 4V To Run 10's N/A![/nomedia]

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member

That was a 10.97, with a shit load of weight reduction, a very aggressive tune as Evo Performance stated, full bolt-ons, and what sounded to me like a shot of Nitrous.

Haven't you seen the 550 RWHP 03/04 Cobras that weigh about the same as this car, running bottom 10's?

Hell, F8snake did it on the stock eaton, and ran near sub 9's with heavy weight reduction. Cobrastruck did it weighing 3600lbs with full bolt ons, ported Eaton, 6SPD Irs. He ran over a half second faster and trapped over 10+ MPH.

One video doesn't mean anything. That guy was referring to stock for stock, mod for mod. I already proved mod for mod, with similar things done, the Cobra has already run a faster time.

Stock, a Terminator ran a 12.44 @ 114. I have yet to see a lighter weight 2011 GT run faster. Evan Smith could not even get the new GT past a 12.56 @ 112. Very close, but the 8 year old, old as balls technology is still a bit faster.

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
That was a 10.97, with a shit load of weight reduction, a very aggressive tune as Evo Performance stated, full bolt-ons, and what sounded to me like a shot of Nitrous.

Haven't you seen the 550 RWHP 03/04 Cobras that weigh about the same as this car, running bottom 10's?

Hell, F8snake did it on the stock eaton, and ran near sub 9's with heavy weight reduction. Cobrastruck did it weighing 3600lbs with full bolt ons, ported Eaton, 6SPD Irs. He ran over a half second faster and trapped over 10+ MPH.

One video doesn't mean anything. That guy was referring to stock for stock, mod for mod. I already proved mod for mod, with similar things done, the Cobra has already run a faster time.

Stock, a Terminator ran a 12.44 @ 114. I have yet to see a lighter weight 2011 GT run faster. Evan Smith could not even get the new GT past a 12.56 @ 112. Very close, but the 8 year old, old as balls technology is still a bit faster.

What part of NA dont you understand?

These are the nitrous runs on a 100 shot:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwJsmTVN9vY"]YouTube- 2011 Mustang GT 5.0L 4V Runs 10.58@127MPH![/nomedia]

The car had the same mods on the N/A run as it did the 100 shot runs except for one thing. It had a much more aggressive tune on the N/A runs.

It doesnt have a TON of weight reduction like you think. They took a few things out, but not alot.

Also, these cars JUST came out. You are talking about a 12.44@114 mph run in a stock 03/04 cobra that was BEST CASE SCENARIO. Thats the FASTEST one has ever run. The average stock terminator doesnt trap 114 mph in stock trim. That didnt happen right after the terminators debuted. It took awhile. Will the new 2011 5.0 beat or match that time in bone stock trim? It could eventually. Who knows, time will tell. Its pretty ignorant of you to think it isnt possible though. And btw, that 2011 5.0 that ran 10s N/A didnt have FULL bolt ons. That run was done with stock headers. Evolution performance just now bolted on a set of longtubes from american racing headers.

Its only a matter of time before a full bolt on 5.0 with nitrous is matching the cobras you just talked about in the 9s. With about the same amount of money invested(maybe even less) than what it took those cobras to do it with.

Im not dogging on terminators. I love em, more so than the 2011 5.0s. However, its naive at best to think that the new 5.0 cant be modded to go VERY fast for very cheap. The one advantage the terminator has is its forged internals, but thats about it.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
What part of NA dont you understand?

These are the nitrous runs on a 100 shot:

YouTube- 2011 Mustang GT 5.0L 4V Runs 10.58@127MPH!

The car had the same mods on the N/A run as it did the 100 shot runs except for one thing. It had a much more aggressive tune on the N/A runs.

It doesnt have a TON of weight reduction like you think. They took a few things out, but not alot.

Also, these cars JUST came out. You are talking about a 12.44@114 mph run in a stock 03/04 cobra that was BEST CASE SCENARIO. Thats the FASTEST one has ever run. The average stock terminator doesnt trap 114 mph in stock trim. That didnt happen right after the terminators debuted. It took awhile. Will the new 2011 5.0 beat or match that time in bone stock trim? It could eventually. Who knows, time will tell. Its pretty ignorant of you to think it isnt possible though. And btw, that 2011 5.0 that ran 10s N/A didnt have FULL bolt ons. That run was done with stock headers. Evolution performance just now bolted on a set of longtubes from american racing headers.

Its only a matter of time before a full bolt on 5.0 with nitrous is matching the cobras you just talked about in the 9s. With about the same amount of money invested(maybe even less) than what it took those cobras to do it with.

Im not dogging on terminators. I love em, more so than the 2011 5.0s. However, its naive at best to think that the new 5.0 cant be modded to go VERY fast for very cheap. The one advantage the terminator has is its forged internals, but thats about it.

LOL

This same video was posted on MustangForums.

That GT has over 250lbs of weight reduction, Slicks, Throttle body, very aggressive hardly streetable tune, gears, intake, etc. and Nitrous.

So, you consider nitrous N/A? That can be argued. Also, within the first 6 months of the 03/04 being out, it ran it's best time ever by Evan Smith. I would hope the new GT could run equally faster, if not faster. Yet, every name brand driver has driven the piss out of the new GT over and over, and the best yet is a 12.5. Impressive, sure. But, parts on the new GT are more expensive than on an old 2003/2004 model mustang.

Those Cobra's have maybe 3K invested max. This GT in particular had well more than 3K already in it, and it's barely out of the 11's.

Yes, cobra's don't average 114. Hell, after a couple of months of driving my first ever manual car, my bone stock Cobra trapped 113. WOW right? It's called power band.

The GT is very impressive, yes. It's sad that an older technology still beats the newer bigger badder more awesomer (ZOMG) technology.

Do you know why most people still compare the new GT to the older Cobra? That is about all it can stand against.

I've said this 10 times. Why don't you compare the two new technologies. 2011 GT500 Vs 2011 GT. 11' GT500 > 11' GT hands down.

Let's agree to disagree.

Give it more time, I am sure the GT will see more impressive times. But, as technology improves, parts don't go down in price. Mod for Mod, the Cobra is better. Why? You can keep modding it on stock internals, and run low 9's. Already been proven. The GT can't handle 700+ RWHP like an 03/04 Cobra can.

redfire03 svt

Established Member
What you got to remember is that once the new GT's get blowers on them, us terminator guys are going to get raped. I would imagine even the twin screw cobra's are you to struggle, mark my words.

You may not agree, but give it a few months and then get back to me.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
IMO, mod for mod, the new GT can't really stack up to the Cobra, (I'm talking relatively simple mods, not built motors or turbo kits). Evolution has put up some serious times, but so have bolt-on Cobras over the years in the right conditions with the right driver.

Evolution ran a 10.58 with a 125 shot, tune, cai, x-pipe, catback, suspension, drag wheels and ET streets.

They then ran a 10.97 N/A with major weight reduction, a more aggressive tune, slicks, more suspension and possibly a few other odds and ends, (no nitrous though).

The GT is VERY impressive, but the Cobra weighs just a tad more than a GT and it has an IRS, iron block, blower, intercooler, etc, etc..In other words, there is a lot of weight reduction to be done before even going into the interior or body. The new GT is a bigger car that weighs 3600lbs+ with an N/A aluminum block, non-forged internals, solid rear axle, etc.

It would take a fair amount of mods in a new GT to play with a Cobra with a SRA swap from a GT, bolt-ons and a twin screw making 600rwhp+ on pump gas.

I do however respect the tech in the new Ti-VCT Coyote motor; with a turbo kit, cams and a bumped rev limiter the new GT will be a SERIOUS contender. Not to mention the German getrag transmission with a 5th gear ratio of 1:1 and only one OD. So in that retrospect the tech in the 5.0 is definitely superior to the tech in our 03-04 Cobras. These new GTs might have the capability to RELIABLY rev to 8,000rpms, with the right setup that can be a major advantage over our Cobra motors.

Like I said, I would take a new GT over my Cobra. Not because it's just as capable, but for other reasons I already mentioned. If I bought one I would probably never make it fast enough to hang with my current Cobra. Not saying it would be a slouch, but it's just hard to contend with the mod potential of a factory FI car with a built low compression motor.

Last edited:

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
LOL

This same video was posted on MustangForums.

That GT has over 250lbs of weight reduction, Slicks, Throttle body, very aggressive hardly streetable tune, gears, intake, etc. and Nitrous.

So, you consider nitrous N/A? That can be argued. Also, within the first 6 months of the 03/04 being out, it ran it's best time ever by Evan Smith. I would hope the new GT could run equally faster, if not faster. Yet, every name brand driver has driven the piss out of the new GT over and over, and the best yet is a 12.5. Impressive, sure. But, parts on the new GT are more expensive than on an old 2003/2004 model mustang.

Those Cobra's have maybe 3K invested max. This GT in particular had well more than 3K already in it, and it's barely out of the 11's.

Yes, cobra's don't average 114. Hell, after a couple of months of driving my first ever manual car, my bone stock Cobra trapped 113. WOW right? It's called power band.

The GT is very impressive, yes. It's sad that an older technology still beats the newer bigger badder more awesomer (ZOMG) technology.

Do you know why most people still compare the new GT to the older Cobra? That is about all it can stand against.

I've said this 10 times. Why don't you compare the two new technologies. 2011 GT500 Vs 2011 GT. 11' GT500 > 11' GT hands down.

Let's agree to disagree.

Give it more time, I am sure the GT will see more impressive times. But, as technology improves, parts don't go down in price. Mod for Mod, the Cobra is better. Why? You can keep modding it on stock internals, and run low 9's. Already been proven. The GT can't handle 700+ RWHP like an 03/04 Cobra can.

The fact that you cant grasp that I posted TWO videos of the same 11' GT running 10s one WITH nitrous and one WITHOUT nitrous(which means it ran a 10 NATURALLY ASPIRATED WITH NO NITROUS IMAGINE THAT) shows that you dont know what you're talking about.

For one thing an 03/04 cobra cannot RELIABLY handle 700+ RWHP on the 100% stock motor. The internals can handle it but the bolts cannot. When you start making that kind of power under a fair amount of boost there is too much cylinder pressure for the stock head bolts to handle and you get something called head lift. I personally watched an 04 cobra with a whipple 2.3 making 19 psi spray coolant all over the dyno because the heads lifted on his 100% stock motor. Guess what? He had to tear it down but we put it back together with complete ARP Hardware. This dyno was also 5300 ft above sea level where it takes alittle more effort to make power up here.

As far as raw power goes tho. No I dont think a stock 5.0 can hang with an 03/04 terminator because the stock internals are going to be a limiting factor. However, power isnt everything. Does that mean a 2011 5.0 cant run 9s with 3 grand or less invested? No. It doesnt mean it can either. If someone was modding one with the goal of being as fast as possible for as little money involved then it might. I guess time will tell.

The terminator has had YEARS to prove itself. This 5.0 is barely rolling off the showroom floor and its already very impressive.

Why you even want to compare an 11' gt500 to an 11 gt is beyond me and makes no sense whatsoever. You want to talk technology? This car is a LOWLY GT in the mustang world and it keeps up with and in many cases surpasses an 03/04 cobra which USED to be the top dog in the mustang world just 7 years ago. Id say thats pretty awesome and kudos to ford.

Last edited:

markw351

Established Member
Nice having bluetooth built into the car, better traction control and even having the option of having HD radio are nice options to have in a car.
Hell, the dealership I go to doesn't still did warranty work for most of our cars even when there was a vortech or a whipple under the hood.

At the end of the day a Cobra is just another run of the mill new edge mustang. Just happens to have a built 4.6 and a six speed.

Well at the end of the day what is a 2011 gt compared to other cars in it's class. Nothing, just another new car with cool gadgets. It's a great car no question, but is it really all that special in todays car world. Everyone is so high on the car because it's just a huge jump for the GT. Just my opinion but the cars just don't look that good. Love the improvements just not into the look.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread