03 Cobra vs. 99 Impreza 2.5RS HYBRID

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
There is a guy at my work with a blue 99 Impreza 2.5RS with previous gen STi wheels & brakes, lowered, STi seats, Cobb exhaust, just a nice-looking clean car. He is also a bit cocky, always running his mouth about his car. He usually doesn't talk to me, but I guess he changed his mind on a few days ago.

He was talking to the guy that sits in the cube across from me, and loudly said how he's never been beat by any Mustang, he launches on all of them, and the pulls away from every one he's ever seen. I didn't want to take his bait, but I couldn't help myself. I turned around, and said "Do you want to put $300 on that statement?" He said "Your banana's stock right? Then hell yeah!" The kid he was talking to said "You know that banana is a Cobra?" Then he started backpedaling, saying he couldn't do it today and his car wasn't running right. Typical.

So two days later (yesterday) I got a call to bring my Cobra to work, so I did. Some kids told me to be careful, his car is FAST, he can launch like crazy, etc. Fast is relative to most people at my work (only a few quick cars). He thought I figured his car had the stock 2.5 nothing motor, but I knew he had swapped in a previous gen STi motor (the Hybrid part), and it was stock except for the exhaust.

We left for lunch a bit early, lined up at an empty street close by, and went on an arm drop. He launched hard, had me by about 2 lengths (I babied it, only brought revs up to 1700 or so). But i stopped the pull, was about a 1/4 length behind by the top of 1st, nailed the 2nd shift and motored by through 2nd. I just glanced over but i definitely saw a look of concern since I'm sure the Eaton scream was overpowering his flat-four blat. I had roughly 1-1.5 length lead by the top of 2nd, perfect shift into 3rd, and continued to pull away. I ran it out all the way through 3rd just to make my point, and tapped the brakes. It was several car lengths, I never looked closely at my mirror when in 3rd, and he let off a bit after I did so that skewed the end result.

He pulled next to me, glared a bit, then took off and I saw him pull into the shopping center with a Wells Fargo. I went to lunch, and there was $300 on my desk when I got back with a note that said "Nice run, I got my ass handed to me." I didn't see him the rest of the day, but I'll go talk to him Monday. One thing I can say is he definitely had the driver mod, because his shifts might have been faster than mine. And I really pride myself on great, fast shifts!

Sorry for the novel, but I thought the situation was just hilarious. I mean, my car is just a basically stock 03 Cobra (not even exhaust/pulley/tune) so I don't even drive a fast Mustang! God forbid this kid ran into a REAL Mustang!

Also, no video because we each alone. Plus, I don't think my car is fast enough to justify a video.

Last edited:

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Nice Kill....gotta love cocky people going down but...

Give the guy credit for paying quickly.

He fails for not knowing enough about Cobras..specifically 03...

What engine mods do you have? Stock pulleys?

d3m01iti0n

Slow Vehicle Team
Established Member
Good kill, good write up. Should change his tune about Mustangs. But......check NASIOC just in case. Unless theyre not allowed to post races?

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
Nice Kill....gotta love cocky people going down but...

Give the guy credit for paying quickly.

He fails for not knowing enough about Cobras..specifically 03...

What engine mods do you have? Stock pulleys?

Thanks! Absolutely. I was definitely happy about the quick payment. Honestly, if he had talked to me after the race I would have told him to not worry about the cash and just learn from the experience, but I'm not complaining about an extra $300. :banana:

Engine mods consist of the C&L air filter. All mods are in my sig.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
13 Boss....definitely a awesome mod money buyer!

Great race and I'm pretty sure he has changed his mind about Mustangs, especially Terminators.

newshow

Banned
Criminal Minds—Wonderful Seasons 1-6

TheCriminal Minds DVD plot lines are fascinating and the characters are real. They don't write the episodes fast enough for me. Just started reading the books that are written about the series and they complement the TV show wonderfully. Curb Your Enthusiasm DVD At least I'll have the books to read when the show is on hiatus. I really love this show (especially Dr. Spencer Reid and SSA Aaron Hotchner) and I hope that everyone gives it one watch so that they can see why the show has so many fans. Cold Case DVD I plan my Wednesday nights around it! One of the best shows on television, a wonderful cast, great writing and storylines and every episode is original. Many people compare criminal minds and it's characters to many other shows on the tv however criminal minds is a true original always intresting, Desperate Housewives DVD and it almost always keeps you guessing to who the real killer is, the idea of profiling makes it very different as most crime drama's are now primarily forensics driven. Breaking Bad DVD The other great thing about this show is the fact that this is what profilers actually do they may not really have a private plane but this is there real job.

ITRIEDEL

Established Member
thumbs up for the race and double thumbs up for the guy paying, i would of gave the money back just to be a good sport, but hey thats just me...i guess the satisfaction of destroying a cocky driver is priceless

Users who are viewing this thread