'03 Cobra vs. Clutch Cable

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
So there I was this morning on my way to work, poised at the stoplight ready to attack the street. As I watched the traffic light for the adjacent street turn from green to yellow, my pulse quickened. When it changed from yellow to red, I put my hand on the shift knob, prepared to put it first followed by a quick shift to second as the speedometer increased rapidly. In the split second before my light turned green, I applied pressure with my left foot to the clutch pedal so that I could engage the supercharged 32 valve motor...POW! My foot went to the floor and the car went nowhere. I calmly exited the vehicle and pushed it to the side of the road. In the battle of '03 Cobra versus HWY 87 South, the highway won.:nonono:

Cliff notes: My clutch cable decided to shit the bed this morning at a stoplight on my way to work...in the rain.

Last edited:

SLPCobra

Established Member
Where at in nc do you live?
I live in hope mills I use 87 to get into parts of Fayetteville faster sometimes and to get to Wilmington when I go.

That really sucks man I feel your pain I had a clutch cable break on me in morning rush hour traffic once on a major road :nonono:
luckily I was already moving so I had the momentum built up to get to the side of the road outta the way.

TylerM35

Established Member
What brand of cable do you guys use? ive about given up on steeda, the last one i had i think lasted maybe 2000 miles if that.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
OEM or aftermarket?

I went 150,000 miles on the original clutch cable and only replaced with a new oem clutch cable because I figured I was on borrowed time.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Same crap happened to me 4 months ago. I had a Steeda clutch cable. I felt the pedal very soft, I moved to the far right lane since I knew it was going to give out on me any minute. Sure enough, shift to third and bang, pedal went to crap and as loose as Octomom. Lasted me about 15k miles.

This time I went with the OEM clutch cable.

TERMIN8U!

Just a little 281ci motor
Established Member
This has happened to me I feel your pain!!
My factory cable was frayed so I was forced to get a BBK one due to living on Hawaii and lack if clutch cables to choose from. Was at a light about to take off and POW!
I was able to put it in first and limp up the road somehow

SLPCobra

Established Member
What brand of cable do you guys use? ive about given up on steeda, the last one i had i think lasted maybe 2000 miles if that.

OEM or aftermarket?

I went 150,000 miles on the original clutch cable and only replaced with a new oem clutch cable because I figured I was on borrowed time.

Mine was original clutch cable I believe. Yeah pedal went soft and then I press it again to shift and it popped and went limp and luckily I had momentum to pull over to the side outta the way. I've got a steeda cable with firewall adjuster and aftermarket quadrant now and so far hasn't given me to much trouble at all lol.

TERMIN8U!

Established Member
From the sound of it this sounds common. I remember reading in a Ford Performance Magazine article about a hydrolic Clutch conversion for the T56, wonder if that's something to look into.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
From the sound of it this sounds common. I remember reading in a Ford Performance Magazine article about a hydrolic Clutch conversion for the T56, wonder if that's something to look into.

McLeod makes the kit. About $7-800.

Use an OEM cable with the stock quadrant. If you have a firewall adjuster and quadrant, still use a stock cable. MM package or the Fiore adjuster and Steeda quick release quadrant and stock cable combo was getting some good reviews.

TERMIN8U!

Established Member
McLeod makes the kit. About $7-800.

Use an OEM cable with the stock quadrant. If you have a firewall adjuster and quadrant, still use a stock cable. MM package or the Fiore adjuster and Steeda quick release quadrant and stock cable combo was getting some good reviews.

Thanks good to know! Nothing like having a clutch cable snap to make you question why you still own the car. That's basically what led me to sell my car in the first place.

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
Where at in nc do you live?
I live in hope mills I use 87 to get into parts of Fayetteville faster sometimes and to get to Wilmington when I go.

That really sucks man I feel your pain I had a clutch cable break on me in morning rush hour traffic once on a major road :nonono:
luckily I was already moving so I had the momentum built up to get to the side of the road outta the way.

I live south of Sanford, close to Carolina Lakes. The part of HWY 87 that I use does not get you anywhere faster...traffic in the mornings, and especially the afternoons, has become outrageous. It took me an hour and a half to drive 12 miles the other night!

TylerM35...this was a stock cable with a Steeda Firewall Adjuster and Quadrant. It was on the car when I bought it at 35,000 miles and I now have just over 64,000. I've got a Spec Stage 2 Clutch and Pressure Plate, which had a fair amount of peddle pressure, but for the past week it seemed way stiffer and would ease up as I drove. I kept putting off checking it out and it decided to reward my lack of attention yesterday morning.

SLPCobra

Established Member
I live south of Sanford, close to Carolina Lakes. The part of HWY 87 that I use does not get you anywhere faster...traffic in the mornings, and especially the afternoons, has become outrageous. It took me an hour and a half to drive 12 miles the other night!

TylerM35...this was a stock cable with a Steeda Firewall Adjuster and Quadrant. It was on the car when I bought it at 35,000 miles and I now have just over 64,000. I've got a Spec Stage 2 Clutch and Pressure Plate, which had a fair amount of peddle pressure, but for the past week it seemed way stiffer and would ease up as I drove. I kept putting off checking it out and it decided to reward my lack of attention yesterday morning.

Dang that's insane I can't imagine how bad that traffic is.
Luckily are stretch of 87 isn't to bad

Sorry to get off subject but some people are getting a meet together on the 24th from svtp and horsepower junkies in Fayetteville at the airborne museum downtown at 2pm, It's in the taste of home section on here. Should be a good turn out of people you should come if you can make it.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread