03 Cobra vs. Excursion

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
Had a little suprise on the way to work this morning..

Sitting at a light; 3 lanes, i'm in the middle. Right side merges into the middle about 80 feet after the intersection; or it can turn right and hit a freeway onramp. 98% of the time, people are stopping and turn turning right, so I generally don't pay attention unless someone is stopped and clearly going straight. In this case it's a very nice, jacked-up, black Excursion which warranted no more than a low level thought.

I noticed the very well done suspension, but that was about it. Although I'll race any willing party in anything with wheels, you generally don't drop the clutch against a large, jacked up SUV, so I wasn't really paying attention, poking through emails on my phone looking for the needy neurotics that show up at 6am...

The light goes green, and for a brief second or two the Excursion moves like a diesel pickup, making me even more complacent... About that point, again not really paying attention, I'm shocked by some very loud turbos spooling up at which time the Excursion RAPIDLY puts a truck-length on me. :burnout:

I throw the phone down and start going sideways from a mid-rpm 1st gear stomp; bang second gear and start to catch up but the truck is STILL putting up a hell of a fight, more wheel hop in 2nd and I pass it about the top of 2nd gear but the Black Mass wasn't giving up even a tiny bit. Buy the top of 3rd I'd say I had 2 cars on it. Overall it was about as quick as an SRT-10 RAM pickup or Lightning at very minimum, at least after a few seconds when it got rolling and the turbos spun up.

It was a comfortible win, but this truck moved a lot faster than anything that size should have a right to; especially not one that's jack up with big tires and mirrors that stuck out a good 2 feet. We gave each other thumbs up on the freeway and I noticed the A piller full of gauges as he punched it and took off again. Even on the freeway it pulled harder than any truck I've seen outside of a Lightning or SRT-10 RAM.

I didn't know you could make them that quick... :pepper:

fivepointno

Established Member
yea man i love those things with the powerstroke hey anything can be quick with 1,000lb of torque

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
I'll add to this thread, since it has to do with diesels racing fast cars.

Was in my friend's 01 Cummins with a chip, exhaust, and 4 inch lift on 35s when we ran into a Grand National. Beautiful car. We got next to him and he downshifted and we did as well, but we got the jump. We got about 2 truck lengths out before he started gaining, and we quit at around 90. So from 35-90, he caught back up.

It was badass. Diesels kick ass.

Common

Established Member
My F250 with 4" turboback, intake and bullydog caught alot of people of guard on short ditances like that and EMBARASSED the hell out of many many a-holes.

NICE KILL

BTW...got 6" lift with 35s too....

MNFord

Established Member
those diesels can be killer...and i mean killer with the right setup, those diesels can make 1000lbs tq+ and pretty easily to...if i had the money id buy one i would

fivepointno

Established Member
actually the diesel excursion is the best deal going you can find them cheap as nobody really wants 2 drive a shortbus

MarvelMan

Established Member
Buy an L. I get diesels wanting to race all the time. One guy caused me to give him two thumbs up. F350 deisel towing a 20' trailer with 4 riding mowers loaded up. He kept gunning it on the expressway. I kept gunning it and blowing by him, but when I would slow down he just kept trucking at 95-100 MPH in HEAVY traffic while weaving lane to lane while towing this trailer. I know the trailers axles aren't meant for those RPMs and this thing could go wrong at any time. Anyways he kept this up for at least 10 miles, and I eventually gave him the 2 thumbs up and backed off. I was faster, but he had giant size balls of steel to drive that thing that way.

Users who are viewing this thread