03 Cobra vs HIGHLY modded 02 LIGHTNING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
Race my buddy yesterday for fun. We went at it several times at different speeds with same outcome.

HIS L: 2002 L, Headers, electric water pump and fan, CAI, TB, Mass Air, 6# Pulley, lowered 2 inches, exhuast, cats, chip, every bolt-on you can buy for the L. Has $16,000 in mods/upgrades.

MY 03 Cobra: Diablo (tune), 2.80 Pulley (mod), DynoMax CB (not a mod). 1 REAL mod.

The Cobra pulls 2 cars out of the hole and steadily gains/pulls away. By 100 I would say at least 5-6 cars. From 60/70 the gains are not as fast. About 1-2 cars and slowly pulling away.

I lost traction once, hit the rev limiter, and was sideways. I had to play catch-up. But I WAS catching up. I chickened at 100 when I would have passed him.

These freaking 03 Cobra's are BEASTS!!!!

We figure with good track and traction he is about a low 12 truck and I am about a 11.5. My best of 12.0 @118 on stock rubber. His is I think about a 12.5 with slicks.

Some guy wants to race me with his Stage4 WRX next week. Gonna be tricky with that AWD. I will have to heat the tires a bit.

Mustang_Racer

Established Member
Nice Kill and Nice Track Times also.

you had a 1.89 60 foot on stock tires...that wrx shouldnt pull u much out of the hole, and your mph of 118 should be enough to run him down if he does pull u out of the hole.

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
Yea but a 1.89 was my best of 3. The other 2 where 1.9's. Thats was on a GOOD track. The street is different. For him to, I should think.

To make it fair, I will go from a stop AND a roll. I should take it.

Have not lost one yet in with the 03. I have ridden in a Stage4 WRX once. I was not that impressed. It did not have the violent pull of the Cobra. Not even close.

Win or loose, it will be interesting. Hard to believe a 4 cylinder AWD car can hang with some of the best.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Originally posted by Fast03Cobra
Race my buddy yesterday for fun. We went at it several times at different speeds with same outcome.

HIS L: 2002 L, Headers, electric water pump and fan, CAI, TB, Mass Air, 6# Pulley, lowered 2 inches, exhuast, cats, chip, every bolt-on you can buy for the L. Has $16,000 in mods/upgrades.

With all the items listed and every bolt on available for a Lightning, except for a new S/C, that is about $4K in mods. With a new S/C it is $7K in mods. What the hell did he spend the other $9-$12K on????

We figure with good track and traction he is about a low 12 truck and I am about a 11.5. My best of 12.0 @118 on stock rubber. His is I think about a 12.5 with slicks.

A 2002 L with those mods alone and tuned properly should be putting 440+ RWHP easily! And with other unspecified mods(every bolt on) he should have at least another 25 RWHP. That should run high 11's on slicks even without the best driver.

My 00L with 420RWHP weighing 4820 with driver ran [email protected] on crappy F1's. With the new tires and better tune, I will easily be low 12's.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
that is what I was thinking. dont forget the shaved door handles and the painted picture on the bed liner:)

logan_yomtov

Established Member
how do u cut those 60's on stock rubber? I couldn't go 1/4 throttle without smoking the f1's. I have brand new falkens now and i still can't even go half throttle without them braking loose.

DEEPSIX

Established Member
Nice Kill Man

Hey Man,
Nice Kill :)
I was at the track today in Sacramento (Nor Cali) and saw a Supercharged V6 T-Bird with heavy mods run 12.03 111 mph.
At 118 you should have no problems getting into 11's.
Good luck man.
Laterz,
D Rainer
NRCLSC.bmp

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by logan_yomtov
how do u cut those 60's on stock rubber? I couldn't go 1/4 throttle without smoking the f1's. I have brand new falkens now and i still can't even go half throttle without them braking loose.

I have no idea. I usually do 2.0's on crappy tracks. That day I had the MOST HP I had ever had on the track. However, MIR is the best local track. I figure it was the track conditions. I was able to cut mostly low 1.9's and a best of 1.89. Sad thing is that I shifted at 5800 RPMs on that run and still did a 12.0 @ 118. Most other runs were 12.1 or 12.2 @ 117/118. Could have busted a high 11 with higer shift points.

Going to MIR on March 1st if weather permits.

The guy with the L will be there.

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Re: Re: 03 Cobra vs HIGHLY modded 02 LIGHTNING

Originally posted by FordSVTFan
With all the items listed and every bolt on available for a Lightning, except for a new S/C, that is about $4K in mods. With a new S/C it is $7K in mods. What the hell did he spend the other $9-$12K on????

A 2002 L with those mods alone and tuned properly should be putting 440+ RWHP easily! And with other unspecified mods(every bolt on) he should have at least another 25 RWHP. That should run high 11's on slicks even without the best driver.

My 00L with 420RWHP weighing 4820 with driver ran [email protected] on crappy F1's. With the new tires and better tune, I will easily be low 12's.
HIs coke habit, has to right it off somehow :D

fastback brian

Established Member
Ive had a few run with them wrx's and I can say that dont try too hard out the hole cause your not gonna hang. They will 60' in the 1.9's on dirt. make sure you dont spin to bad and you will kill em.

skorost

Established Member
Originally posted by Fast03Cobra

MY 03 Cobra: Diablo (tune), 2.80 Pulley (mod), DynoMax CB (not a mod). 1 REAL mod.

The Cobra pulls 2 cars out of the hole and steadily gains/pulls away. By 100 I would say at least 5-6 cars. From 60/70 the gains are not as fast. About 1-2 cars and slowly pulling away.

I lost traction once, hit the rev limiter, and was sideways. I had to play catch-up. But I WAS catching up. I chickened at 100 when I would have passed him.

These freaking 03 Cobra's are BEASTS!!!!

Some guy wants to race me with his Stage4 WRX next week. Gonna be tricky with that AWD. I will have to heat the tires a bit.

Ok Bud.... here goes....

IF you honestly raced a Gen2 Lightning with 16k in mods that infamous day of yours, there would only be one outcome no matter how many times u try. You would lose.

Here's 3 examples:

JDM Weight w/driver: 4,680; 10.56
http://www.nvlope.org/_video/jdm1056.mpg

PSP Weight w/driver: 4,760; 10.48
http://www.nvlope.org/_video/sal1048.mpg

JLP Weight w/driver: 4,325; 10.59@126 1.46 60ft
http://www.johnnylightningperf.com/movie/jl1059.mpg

Here's the fastest 03 Cobra I am aware of as of the date we raced:

Paul Svinicki 10.87@135 1.442 60ft

Cobra's are beasts and I love em and I want one too... but.

U were ONE car length ahead of me.

I have: JDM Headers/mac catback, Meziere electric water pump, JDM elec fan, JDM Heat exchanger, JLP Intake, AccufabTB, 6# Pulley, lowered 2 inches, 3 extra qt tranny pan, line mod valve, Denso IT24s and a Superchip running 18 degrees of timing. I haven't raced yet with these mods on the track, but here are two identically modded Gen 2 Lightnings in Virginia for you to consider:

Scott Mears [email protected]
http://www.nvlope.org/_gallery/smears_gallery.htm
http://www.nvlope.org/_video/scott1192.mpg

Brian K [email protected]
http://www.nvlope.org/_gallery/kimmel_gallery.htm
http://www.nvlope.org/_video/briank1189.mpg

ok so lets get our facts in order so we don't misreprezent our badass rides for the SVT community. I'll tell u what tho... I will race you when the tracks open here again ... and you know what I have planned... so savor your win... you got one and deserve it.... but it wont happen again when my truck comes back from Excessive Motorsports with a JDM longblock.

:beer:

Last edited:

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
SKROST: One car huh? Lets go again baby!

BTW: My ass is numb from just riding in your L. That darn thing rumbles and vibrates like a swedish massager.... This is getting sick... I rode your L and it vibrates like a swedish massager... Geeesh..... Sounds like lines from a Johnny Long Dong video!

anyday and anytime! Ok so it was not 6 cars... I'm stickin with 5....

Long Block...Long Schmlock... Here we go again with the sexual innuendo's...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread