'03 Cobra vs. Jeep SRT8

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
I was getting gas close to the entrance to the highway by my job on Friday afternoon, when I saw and heard a Jeep SRT8 roll by, look at me, and get on the highway real slow. I finished up at the pump real quick and blasted off to follow him. I caught up to him on the entrance ramp and noticed his license plate...1BADSRT8. I've raced this dude before at the local 1/8th mile in my '98 GT and he tore me a new asshole so I wanted some payback. As soon as the curve of the entrance ramp ended, he punched it. He had a huge lead, but I closed the gap until we both had to slow for traffic. Traffic cleared in his lane first and he punched it again. Not willing to risk a huge ticket to catch up with him, instead of taking off in pursuit I moved into his lane and flashed my lights. He slowed down and allowed me to catch up. We both pulled even on a straight stretch where we could see there was no cop threat up ahead and I signaled him that I would honk three times. We were running about 60-65 so I dropped down to 3rd and proceeded to honk it off. He got the hit and jumped out about a car. I put it to the floor and stayed at his back bumper for a couple seconds and then started creeping by him. I made it to the end of 3rd and had about a car on him when we had to shut down due to traffic. I expected to blow his doors off from the get go, but I think the fact that I had been driving a bit in 100+ degree heat robbed me of some horsepower. I don't know what his mods are as he was tight lipped at the track, but all I've got on my Terminator is a JLT CAI and Bassani off-road X-pipe.

t56speed

Established Member
Good Kill man. Those things arent really that quick from a roll. They really shine from a dig.

Red Poison

Over it
Established Member
Good kill.

I blasted one from a light about 2 weeks ago. I was trying to make a right turn but wasn't in the right lane so I had to jump in. Just so happens it was right in front of one. As I passed by I could see he had a vanity plate that said, "SRT (something)" I was more focused on getting in the lane. I'm sure he read my plate as I jumped in front of him so I figured he'd run. Met at a light... jumped out a car but I sucked him in as soon as I got into 2nd and put a 2 cars on him mid way through. As soon as we slowed, his first words were, "that isn't the stock blower is it?" I guess he knew his cars. Cool dude.

His plate read SRT 8U

bleedout

Established Member
you need a pulley and a dyno tune, my buddy has a 07 srt8 jeep and when we raced my cobra would walk away quik from him, from a roll.. from a dig he would get me but id catch quickly a keep going.

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
you need a pulley and a dyno tune, my buddy has a 07 srt8 jeep and when we raced my cobra would walk away quik from him, from a roll.. from a dig he would get me but id catch quickly a keep going.

I've had a Stieg Stage V blower with a 2.76" pulley, Accufab plenum/throttle body, and all the supporting mods sitting in my garage for about six months now. My work schedule has been so crazy that I haven't had the time to install it. Every time I race somebody and it's close, I think about all the parts in the garage and get pissed off!:fm:

Dark_5.0

Established Member
I know a guy with a Jeep SRT8. It is stock and runs 8.80's @3000ft. Heat soak probably killed your HP I think you should have walked him pretty easy.

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
60-65 roll was a bad place for him to start. Try him from a dig next time :)

What every SRT8 Jeep owner says. A buddy of mine has one and talks so much shit, that is the entire reason the bulk of my first mods have been SRA swap, pulley and tune, and I am going to get my 3-link/Torque arm & panhard bar setup tonight. Add SFCs, MM LCAs, and some 10.5s AFS out back with 335 and watch me WALK that Jeep off the line.

I can't wait to get some video for SVTP's viewing pleasure.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
What every SRT8 Jeep owner says. A buddy of mine has one and talks so much shit, that is the entire reason the bulk of my first mods have been SRA swap, pulley and tune, and I am going to get my 3-link/Torque arm & panhard bar setup tonight. Add SFCs, MM LCAs, and some 10.5s AFS out back with 335 and watch me WALK that Jeep off the line.

Sad but true for SOME Jeep owners...

SrtJake

Established Member
I am lucky enough to have both..my Jeep is an 09 with a Vortech on it. Made 504 rwhp last time on the dyno. Since added cam,headers,valvetrain mods,more boost and meth injection.
My Cobra just has a cat back,and while no match for the Jeep from anything under 20,above that put it this way the Cobra wouldn't get smoked.
I think with a pulley,tune and my X pipe it would at least hang from a roll,if not pull on it.
Stock for stock,the Jeep would never win from a roll. It's fun to have the best of both worlds.

onebadsvt

Established Member

may want to ride around on wrinkle walls lol. the srt8 will cut 1.7 60 ft on the street every time they press the gas

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member

So you have this huge mod list then say you can't wait to walk him? Funny guy :rollseyes

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
So you have this huge mod list then say you can't wait to walk him? Funny guy :rollseyes

Sure do and no, I can't wait. He thinks that even now with the solid and my HP levels I won't catch him by 60mph. I know it will be much quicker than that.

My buddies a good guy, he also has a nicely modded Evo 8 and is an AWD nuthugger (for good reason) so he and I joke all in good fun. He know neither car has anything for the Cobra from anything above a 20 roll, but we talk shit all the time about from a dig.

onebadsvt

Established Member
Sure do and no, I can't wait. He thinks that even now with the solid and my HP levels I won't catch him by 60mph. I know it will be much quicker than that.

My buddies a good guy, he also has a nicely modded Evo 8 and is an AWD nuthugger (for good reason) so he and I joke all in good fun. He know neither car has anything for the Cobra from anything above a 20 roll, but we talk shit all the time about from a dig.

would love to see the video. if your on drag radials or street tires, i bet you dont cach him till 3rd gear.

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member

If you're on a street tire, or a not super aggressive DR, he's probably right... AFS 10.5 rears are going to add a ton of unsprung weight to your car..

I make probably more than 150rwhp more than your car, and I have trouble catching my Jeep by 60mph on the street... You're on an unprepped surface don't forget :)

Jeeps are completely moron proof to launch even on the shitty stock tires.. Load converter, mash gas and release brake.. All day every day... Throw some decent tires on the Jeep and it gets worse..

My Jeep is relatively stock, and light to light it's pretty hard to beat.. The gearing, and torque of the 6.1, and AWD make it pretty hard to beat from a stop on the street unless you're winding it out to 3rd and 4th gear, where it's brick like aero starts to take a toll.

Users who are viewing this thread