03 Cobra vs. Kawasaki ZX-6R

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
It was black with that fake-brush-stroke sliver lettering "ZX-6R" at a downward angle just under the front of the gas tank.

Anyway, we're at a stop light and i'm not paying a lot of attention, but he rev'd a few times which made me check out his bike. Normally I can't tell one model of bike from the next, but I remember the silver lettering pretty clearly and thought "hmmm..." while I double checked to make sure the traction control was off :coolman:

I'm not one to usually initiate a race, but never turn down the willing. It seemed like he was revving a little for no particular reason, not specificly at me- I honestly don't think he even knew I was there. So the light goes green and I listen for some sign- he instantly revs REALLY high and sounds like he's slipping the clutch hard, so I think GAME ON :banana:

He's got about 1.5-2 cars on me off the line and the Nittos having a really hard time; I'm mid-way through 2nd with the DR's still slipping a little and about 1/2 car off his rear tire. THAT got his attention and he looked back; twice- "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear ? :lol: , saw me (and the other traffic miles back) and did a :dw: , then tucked his elbows in and leaned way forward. I heard him shift just before I hit 3rd; and now his back tire is about even with my front bumper and i'm creaping up on him.

We both shut down when I hit 4th with his rear tire about the middle of my door - and he's looking at me with this look of either suprise or confusion :??: I could see that he was asian male, that's about it. Then he slows WAY down and moves over a lane (Brookhurst is 3 lanes wide), still looking at me as though the Space Shuttle just made a crash landing 2 lanes over. The next light he's staying a few cars back in traffic, not middle of the lanes like the last light; the next mile or two he's going reeeeeealy slow until he turned off :-D

Last edited:

Blackhalo

Established Member
Either it was the older zx6"e" or this guy weighed 250+... Either way nice kill... But that bike should have left you bad.. I raced my friend stock 03 cobra and left him very very bad... like he said he just stopped counting the cars... But at anyrate the bike rider could have sucked... People run high 10's and low 11's on zx6's all day...

Here is some stats for 600's
Corrected 1/4 mile:
Kawasaki ZX-6R... 10.87 @ 128.42mph
Honda CBR600RR... 10.94 @ 127.13mph
Yamaha YZF-R6... 11.01 @ 125.27mph
Suzuki GSX-R600...11.08 @ 123.54mph

0-60mph:
Suzuki GSX-R600...3.25 secs
Kawasaki ZX-6R... 3.27 secs
Yamaha YZF-R6... 3.35 secs
Honda CBR600RR... 3.38 secs

0-100mph:
Kawasaki ZX-6R... 6.82 secs
Honda CBR600RR... 7.01 secs
Suzuki GSX-R600...7.21 secs
Yamaha YZF-R6... 7.23 secs

Anthony

Last edited:

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
you have the new 6RR ninja? NICE!!! i looked into that a few months ago.

parents made me sell my ZX-9R that i had from when i was 18-19...short span but lots of fun....i just stick to my dirtbikes and quads now.

i was able to hit 170mph in my 9R in like 15-20 seconds tops! bikes are no contest for cars that arent heavily modified...assuming both are good riders.

Blackhalo

Established Member
Heh, yea i have the 04 zx6rr. Thinking about trading it for the new 05's but i havent decided and none of the dealers around me have them in. I think i'll just keep it tell 06 though. I ride with a guy that a 9r cool bikes you should get a 10r or something now :0

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
Blackhalo said:
Heh, yea i have the 04 zx6rr. Thinking about trading it for the new 05's but i havent decided and none of the dealers around me have them in. I think i'll just keep it tell 06 though. I ride with a guy that a 9r cool bikes you should get a 10r or something now :0

yea well...i probably wont be looking at another bike for at least another year or two.

when i do i am interested in maybe a CBR or an R1...not sure.

kawaskis tend to be the "fastest" 1/4 mile bikes however for their classes. and very good in manuvers...of course the R1 and R6 is top competition.

konakimo

Established Member
Kawasaki ZX-6R... 10.87 @ 128.42mph, with the right mods, and I believe he has a few..., this would be a drivers race IMO, great story.

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
he ran a best of 12.5 without a chip and using a 2.93 pulley instead of his now 2.8 and tune.

his car isnt more than a mid 11 sec car AT BEST!

so the bike is still a FULL second faster in the 1/4 and it traps almost 130mph....

So how would this be a drivers race?? assuming the guy on the bike knew how to shift that is...lol

plus the bike can do 165-170mph in less than 20 seconds....the cobra takes 20 seconds to reach 140mph.

Blackhalo

Established Member
Yea.. the bike would pull the car hard.. and even worse up top... my little 600 can pull to 160 easy and doesnt take very long to get there.

The_Sheriff_

Established Member
Blackhalo said:
Yea.. the bike would pull the car hard.. and even worse up top... my little 600 can pull to 160 easy and doesnt take very long to get there.

No, the bike wouldn't pull the car worse up top. At speeds above 120mph a 450rwhp++ Cobra will probably reel in a 600cc sportbike.

Blackhalo

Established Member
lemosley01 said:
Holy smokes - I HAVE been outta of the loop. When did 600's start breaking into the 10's stock?

I would assume a its been like that for a while.. High 10's at least. Bigger bikes wont start to pull on a 600 real bad until the 100+ range. So, 10's can easily be achieved by a good rider.

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
lemosley01 said:
Holy smokes - I HAVE been outta of the loop. When did 600's start breaking into the 10's stock?

then youve probably been out of the loop for over 6 years.

the average 600cc street bike is in the mid-high 10's.

750's are in the low 10's.

and 900's are in the low 10's and some break into the high 9's.

the bigger the bike (cc) the longer the accel takes to get going..however, the midrange and top end are vastly improved from the smaller 600 and 700cc class.

Even tho most 900's are low 10 second bikes...the run the same 0-60 as a 600 would (weight and gearing have EVERYthing to do with this)

the 900's are made for midrange and topend power compared to the 600's which are more nimble in the turns and faster off the line...for the first 500 feet anyway.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
I haven't been paying much attention to motorcylces since I sold 96 600F2 back in 2000.

Even then the 600's were only putting down 105 HP or so. Is that enough to get those bikes into the 10s (without changing gearing?)

edit: spelling

Last edited:

The_Sheriff_

Established Member
lemosley01 said:
I haven't been paying much attention to motorcylces since I sold 96 600F2 back in 2000.

Even then the 600's were only putting down 105 HP or so. Is that enough to get those bikes into the 10s (without changing gearing?)

edit: spelling

Dude...stock F2s do NOT make 105rwhp. They put down around 80-85rwhp. The newer 600s such as the '04 GSX-R600 puts down ~100-103rwhp, which is enough to get into the 10s with a decent rider.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
The_Sheriff_ said:
Dude...stock F2s do NOT make 105rwhp. They put down around 80-85rwhp. The newer 600s such as the '04 GSX-R600 puts down ~100-103rwhp, which is enough to get into the 10s with a decent rider.

I am aware of how much horsepower the F2's put down. I didn't state what I meant clearly. I meant in 2000 they (CBR600s) were rated for 105HP (at the crank I assume).

I apologize for the confusion.

The_Sheriff_

Established Member
lemosley01 said:
I am aware of how much horsepower the F2's put down. I didn't state what I meant clearly. I meant in 2000 they (CBR600s) were rated for 105HP (at the crank I assume).

I apologize for the confusion.

The F4s put down high 90s I believe. I think the GSX-R600s were in the same boat.

Blackhalo

Established Member
I have a f2 as well (track bike) and between my 04zx6rr and the f2 acceleration is very much the same... Im sure a f2 can even easily get into low 11's. But the f2 doesnt pull as much up top as the zx6r.

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
You are all correct- I too looked up the stock numbers for the ZX-6R; 10.96 at 124.xx mph is what I found. My advantage is that I don't believe he was necessarly racing until he saw me coming up behind him pretty fast, but I was still closing the gap (although slowly) when we shut down and he was definitly WOT. I have no doubt that if it was a real drag race from a dead stop and he knew what he was doing I very likely would have lost. Once we're moving, the balance shifts in the other direction. Maybe he shifted too early, who knows- the fact that he left the line at probably 7 or 8k could mean he doesn't know how to drive it either. He was a thin asian guy, maybe 150-165lbs at the most.

I'm sure the big-bore's are different, but in my experience a car will beat the bike up top, not the other way around- at least all bikes I've raced so far where we went over 100 mph. Gearing, aerodynamics, I dunno, maybe someone can explain, but given enough room and speed i've been able to at least catch (and sometimes just match), if not pass, every bike i've ever raced where we were allowed to run flat out. I had one bike leave me on the freeway at 70 mph like I was standing still, 2-3 cars at least; somewhere around 145 was a car past and pulling away from that same bike.

I will say that below 100, about 2/3rds of bikes i've raced hand me my ass- and yeah, the newer bikes are a LOT faster :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread