'03 Cobra vs Modded C4 Corvette

b_dike

Established Member
I'm curious to see what the life span of these tires is actually. I might be going with something different when these are done. Maybe I will jump to the MT's. :-D

You might be waiting a while. I have 17k on this set in 3yrs, and they had probably 60% tread rear and 75% on the fronts when I bought the car. The rears which are now on the front are ready to be replaced, but I still have decent tread on the rears. Im betting I could go another year safely on the rears, excluding racing of course, but just regular driving they are fine.

If I were you I'd just go ahead and buy some stickies for the rear and save the 555's for long trips.

QuickC5Z

Established Member
So I was cruising along the Mexican highway last night on my way home from going to Tijuana for some authentic Mexican cuisine and a sombrero.

As I'm entering the deserted highway (it really was deserted...1a.m.) I see a C4 Corvette driving along. I can hear it as it goes by...loud exhaust. I'd guess long tubes, no cats, and a single chamber setup. Right as I get on the highway, he takes off. Thus begins that mental debate of chase or no. My right foot decides to interrupt my brain and mash itself to the floor, ending the discussion.

As I pull alongside him, he decides to take off again. I despise the "Chase is a Race" ricer crap, so I let him go. He obviously notices I'm not taking the bait, so he slows back down and I pull up alongside again.

I signal for him to slow to 40, but he wants 60. I figure ok...whatever. Not ideal, but screw it. However, the second I downshift he takes off. I shift up and wait for him to get back alongside again, figuring one more chance to get shit right or I'm just going to go on my way.

This time, he actually decides to wait for me to honk it. On three, we both nail it. Unfortunately for me, even at 60, traction control kicked in and totally killed me. I just watched him walk about two cars out...of course I let out when I realized my mistake.

So, flipped the TC off and caught back up. He gives me a thumbs up like I actually tried. L.O.L. I holler at him to give me a 40 run now, and he obliges. We both shift down and again I honk it off. This time, I have my shit together. I instantly put a 1/2 - 1 car on him and shift to third. That's when I realize my 555's are going to be little bitches and not hook. I spin'em, and the ass end tries to get out of shape but I stay in it and wrestle the car straight. Shifting to fourth, I have him by 2-3 cars. Again, my tires spin (Son of a bitch! :mj:) as I shift up, but I stay in it and keep her straight. I let out at 120ish...4-5 cars on him.

He comes up next to me and gives me a thumbs up, which I return. Then he signals for one more....so I oblige.

We go again from 40....this time to around 130ish. Same results as before...5-6 cars this time I got him by. We exchanged thumbs up and went on our own separate ways.

It was cool to see a Vette guy in his early 20's who wasn't a total asshole. Definitely the exception to the rule.

Anyway, that's my story...it was fun...except for the lack of traction on my damn near new tires. Shit.:cuss:

*CLIFFS: C4 Corvette with unknown mods. 1st race, Cobra had traction control issues. 2nd and 3rd race from 40-120ish...Cobra by 5-6 cars approximately. Nitto 555's hate humidity...apparently.

B.S you were getting some yayo and a prostitute.

Nitto 555rs do suck, but if you don't go to the track a lot they last a long time, and are GREAT in the rain.
C4 musta had some motor work and power adder.

Last edited:

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
I thought it was a good kill story :shrug:

Don't you run in the 430whp range with your underwhelming car? I seem to remember that data being in your sig. What happened to it?

On topic: Good kill OP. Unfortunate about the tires, but at least you know where your weakest point currently is with the car.

Yea I do run in that WHP range with my new 5 month old GT and when I post kill stories with my measly little WHP it's against cars in my "league" aka new Audi S6, CTS-V coupe, etc...Not some old dog 25yr old car. Next...

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
With your mods your probably more like 440-470rwhp....that being said you should practice feathering the throttle more and not just mash it to floor lol. You should walk a C4 with your mods unless its an old Lingenfelter or Rippie.

Sick03Vert

Banned
x2...On a serious note..."mod'd C4 with unknown mods" hangs with 530whp Cobra? C4's are slow ass turds...sick03vert aka king of underwhelming kill stories lol

Too bad your not closer. I'd love to let you star in my next one. ;-)

Nice kill. Pretty stout hp numbers, are you running e85? Have your tried the R888's? I've been getting pretty good traction in 2nd gear with mine.

No E85 currently. I have NOT tried the R888's but I hear all good things so far. Might look into it.

I thought it was a good kill story :shrug:

Don't you run in the 430whp range with your underwhelming car? I seem to remember that data being in your sig. What happened to it?

On topic: Good kill OP. Unfortunate about the tires, but at least you know where your weakest point currently is with the car.

Thanks! :beer:

I try to include all relative information.

Maybe it was the crazy humidity that night and the temp....I dunno.

Good Kill Op. Bad choice on tires. Doubt even a H/C LT1 C4 M6 would be any type of a challenge for a Cobra with your mods, let alone a possible bolt on only.

Good kill sick!! Wonder what was done to that vette.

I have no clue, but I'm telling you....it sounded stout!

With your mods your probably more like 440-470rwhp....that being said you should practice feathering the throttle more and not just mash it to floor lol. You should walk a C4 with your mods unless its an old Lingenfelter or Rippie.

Well, I don't know what was done to it and I was trying to feather it...still managed to break them loose.

Was fun anyway, but I will be working on my method to the madness, as they say.

Thanks for your posts...and thanks everyone else as well! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread