03 Cobra vs. new E55 AMG

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
I had just picked up the 03 from XMP in Aliso Viejo last Monday evening (no place to do it myself with the house under major remodel). They did a rework on a new set of PowerCat's to replace the blown Bassani units and I was eager to check out the performance and sound (ps- as usual Eric did a STELLAR job).

The onramp to the 73 toll road North at Aliso Creek looks like a banked curve at a NASCAR track :bowdown: and opens up a very wide, 3 lane, brand new road going up a long, steep grade with usually little traffic.

Unfortunately I got stuck behind a gray sentra doing about 40, so as soon as I hit the freeway I moved left into the path of a far back but rapidly approaching black Benz- perfect time to test the new cats. I hit it in 3rd and stopped the Benz's progress with him settling about 3-4 cars back. It was a dry, cool evening and the 03 felt strong, so I watched the rear view mirror to see how fast the Benz faded. To my surprise he was absolutely LOCKED in place- I couldn't pull an inch. :uh oh:

I banged 4th at 6900 rpm (was still caught a little off guard by the lack of progress) and started slowly adding distance between me and the Benz. We shut down just before the top of forth and I had put a very difficult ~1-2 cars on the Benz. A few minutes later he drove past slowly and looked over with a huge smile on his face. I'd figured it out by then but sure enough it, was a new E55 AMG.

:thumbsup:

Orange Poison

Established Member
Well....I bet as much as you were surprised and caught off guard by his car......I'm sure he was equally surprised with your car too.

nice run :thumbsup:

Last edited:

04HillzGT

Established Member
great kill on the E55, they are the definition of German Power, however American Muscle prevailed in this one

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Nice to see you pull on a car 2x the cost of ours. Great car like any other topping the $70k mark.

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
That's the second one I've raced with the results pretty much the same. Both were on the "street" 91 octane tune, so figure 460 rwhp SAE. IMHO with all the usual bolt-on's in that power range it's a drivers race with the Cobra eventually pulling away around/above 100.

/me starts eyeballing the Apten mod... :burnout:

Paul Vincent

Established Member
03SoCalCobra, So if the E55 had been derestricted (from the 155 top end), do you think the Cobra would still prevail? In other words, just what is top end on your '03 Cobra?

USAOwnz

I don't even know now!
Established Member
Originally posted by 03yllwguy
Nice to see you pull on a car 2x the cost of ours. Great car like any other topping the $70k mark.
Hey, it is a benz, you get what you pay for in luxury:) :)

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Good race, I have never seen one of those yet, they may be here, Rockwell Collins engineers have some good cars but alas they work days. :beer: Our plant manager has a marauder.

Canoodler

I hate speedbumps
Established Member
Originally posted by 03yllwguy

But you get twice the # of doors ;-)

Nice kill. The E55 is a real runner :)

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Huntington Beach, eh? Next time I'm visiting the folks in Palos Verdes I'll drop you a PM and we can see how you handle the E55's big brother :D

NBS4

BANNED!
PicFetch

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

If i was able to afford it i'd have one instead of a Cobra

2thman

giggle gas expert
Established Member
Originally posted by NBS4

If i was able to afford it i'd have one instead of a Cobra

Me 2:cryying: I looked at a black one on Friday, just couldn't pull the trigger. The car is just pure lux inside, worth the 2x price IMO. For some reason they dont let ppl test drive them, but it sure felt fast:)

jason

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Originally posted by treynor
Huntington Beach, eh? Next time I'm visiting the folks in Palos Verdes I'll drop you a PM and we can see how you handle the E55's big brother :D

:eek: I've seen the videos, let me know before you come down so I can strap on a 50 shot!

Originally posted by Paul Vincent
03SoCalCobra, So if the E55 had been derestricted (from the 155 top end), do you think the Cobra would still prevail? In other words, just what is top end on your '03 Cobra?

Good question, no idea, but both E55's I've raced I've only started to pull away at/above 100 so I'd guess yes. Would be interesting to see that it tops out at with the right aerodynamics in place.

Users who are viewing this thread