03 Cobra vs. TT G35

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
Did a quickie tune up on the 03 today and decided to take if for a run- felt MUCH better after cleaning the plugs and a few other minor things, so after a few blasts around town I hit PCH going south and ran it through the gears at WOT a few times.

About the time I see my exit for the u-turn, I spotted an all blacked out G35- black wheels, tinted windows, not even the G35 emblems. As I rolled passed I spyed an intercooler under the bumper. About that time, I see the G35 pulling away from traffic to catch up :-D

As he pulls along side I sudden hear a turbo spooling up, but I was ready- dropped it into 2nd and we were off. I pulled a solid car length on him, but then my progress slowed greatly, almost stopped. We ran through almost the top half of 4th, I had about 2 cars, maybe a little more on him, but not much. We played a few more times fun a roll, then POP.. but more on that later.

We caught the next light and talked mods- he was running a twin-turbo setup on a built motor, putting 400 to the wheels but the kit wasn't tuned yet. We ran at the next light; he showed noticible turbo lag and put a sold 2+ cars on him but that's right where he stayed until 4th when i was able to start pulling a little bit again, but not much. We did a few more roll races; the results were the same; I'd pull away for the first 1 or 2 seconds then he'd spool up and all but stop my pull for a bit, then I'd start pulling away again slowly in 4th.

Given the G35 weighs mid 34xx pounds and his overall performance, I'd say 400 rwhp was a little on the low side. The driver was very cool- that'll be a wicked car when he gets it tuned and ups the boost a little :beer:

About that POP: about half way through one of our runs around high 3rd gear, I hear a PPPSSSSsssss and the windshield is covered in sweat sticky spray- the IC blew :cuss: Performance went down noticably after that, I figure the coolent spraying on the belt didn't help. Was running water/redline mix with a little coolent. Decided to top it off with pure coolent after todays run :fm: A pic right after I got home from the G35 run in:

icblow.jpg

Wintermute

Banned
The G35 was the sedan then ? I didnt think the coupes were that heavy, bout the same as a Z ? Damn I bet he surprises some people in that thing.

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
Yep, that guy is gonna suprise a lot of people whenever he gets the whole thing sorted out, it was a challange to pull away or catch up when the turbos were spooled.

The G35 clocks in around 3480 to just over 3500 for the 2006; the Z is mid 33xx up to mid 35xx for some models (verts I think?).

It looked like this Greddy kit photo, but all black- rims, tinted windows, ect..
0422200500515937.jpg

EVOtomig

Established Member
Those cars are pretty wicked. Good kill! :rockon:

I've raced a Greddy 350z TT a while back at the track and he trapped @122 in the 1/4. The only thing holding him back was a lack oftraction since he was only running drag radials.

I'm sure on the freeway I would have had my hands full since the the EVO's AWD advantage is gone.

Air Speed.

Banned
03SoCalCobra said:
Yep, that guy is gonna suprise a lot of people whenever he gets the whole thing sorted out, it was a challange to pull away or catch up when the turbos were spooled.

The G35 clocks in around 3480 to just over 3500 for the 2006; the Z is mid 33xx up to mid 35xx for some models (verts I think?).

It looked like this Greddy kit photo, but all black- rims, tinted windows, ect..
0422200500515937.jpg

nice G35 :rockon:

V8MstngPwr

Established Member
I don't know what it is but I like the G35's so much more than the 350Z's... I can't pinpoint why but they just seem to look so much better. Nice kill too, those things can be wicked. Bet it looked awesome though. Sorry to hear about the leak, that can't be any fun at all.

DVan8504

Established Member
I don't get why people more easily accept the G35c as a good performer than the 350z when they have the same engine, and the G35 is heavier.

Snowboarda42

PMS Damage Control Tech
Established Member
i like the G35 alot better too.

my buddy has a 2004 with a stillen supercharger on it, stillen exhaust, JIC magic suspension, some front bumper, a big air to water i/c, stage 4 pulley's and chip, etc.
But now its dead cuz he blew up both head gaskets so both sides spark plug tubes are filled with oil and its burning water like crazy. he says its twin turbo time :) lookin for 500+ to the tires...
g_engine.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG

Last edited:

ecuacobra

Established Member
I raced a red g35 coupe sc and it has the hood just like the white g35 in the pic. I don't know what else it was done to the car but it wasn't quick. We raced form 40 mph roll and i put like 3 cars on him or more. I was in 4th gear and downshifted to 2nd and by the time I was in 4th gear he was gone.

DVan8504

Established Member
ecuacobra said:
I raced a red g35 coupe sc and it has the hood just like the white g35 in the pic. I don't know what else it was done to the car but it wasn't quick. We raced form 40 mph roll and i put like 3 cars on him or more. I was in 4th gear and downshifted to 2nd and by the time I was in 4th gear he was gone.

I'm not surprised. supercharged 350zs/G35s don't put out the kind of power turbocharged ones do usually. I'd say a good number from a stock s/c would be 350whp, but many are lower.

grimreefer said:
All those feminine napkins...

lol..are you saying it's a girly car?

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
DVan8504 said:
lol..are you saying it's a girly car?
:D I guess you missed THAT thread awhile back. We were having a little fun with the G35 crowd since a feminine napkin is an option for the car (as part of the first aid package). :-D

...and IIRC, a few had to restock their kit by the time it was over. :D

Last edited:

DVan8504

Established Member
grimreefer said:
:D I guess you missed THAT thread awhile back. We were having a little fun with the G35 crowd since a feminine napkin is an option for the car (as part of the first aid package). :-D

...and IIRC, a few had to restock their kit by the time it was over. :D

You're kidding me? That's messed up.

kbgt

custom user title here
Established Member
theres a guy in lubbock that has a tt g35 its pretty quick from what i hear.....by any chance do you know what size snails he was running?

Users who are viewing this thread