03 cobra w/430 vs Fd tt (vid)

chrisle7220

Established Member
Im speechless. I mean a pullied cobra should have put up a better fight. Those RX-7's are light tho. If you think about it, the rx-7 weighs at least 1k lighter then the cobra. That 60whp difference didnt make much difference, cause from what ive heard, 100lbs=10whp. So in order for that cobra to hang, it would have needed at least 470rwhp. I may be wrong on this calculation, so if someone could correct me, do so.

Nuke61

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
chrisle7220 said:
So in order for that cobra to hang, it would have needed at least 470rwhp. I may be wrong on this calculation, so if someone could correct me, do so.

Lets just look at the basic assumption first... 100 lbs = 10 hp
Car A weighs 3000 lbs and has 300 hp ==> 3000/300= 10.0 lbs per Hp
Car B weighs 3100 lbs and has 310 hp ==> 3100/310= 10.0 lbs per Hp
Yep, it seems to work just fine :)

If you assume the Cobra vert weighs 1000 lbs more than the RX7, then it would need 100 more horses to stay even. From a stop, it's mostly traction and the first 60', although the trap speed should be close for two cars with similar lbs/hp numbers.

matty

Established Member
whats the deal here? there are two threads on cobras racing rx-7s. one time the cobra won and the othertime the cobra lost. both cobras have pretty much the same mods while one puts down 500 rwhp and the other puts down 430. Can anyone shed some light?

CharlieCobra03

Established Member
matty said:
whats the deal here? there are two threads on cobras racing rx-7s. one time the cobra won and the othertime the cobra lost. both cobras have pretty much the same mods while one puts down 500 rwhp and the other puts down 430. Can anyone shed some light?

That happens. I've got a pulley and tune in mine that made 444 RWHP in another Snake that is making 466 in mine with a pegged MAF. I'm expecting 475-480 soon so there can be large differences between two Cobra's.

BTW These #'s are with the same 11.7:1 RWTD tune as well. Go figure?

CharlieCobra03

Established Member
RX-7s can be very quick with a good driver. I lost to one on the fifth round before I pullied up (him tweaking after every run) when I was making about 420. He weighed in @ 2670 empty with a 125 Lbs. driver against my 3960 with me in the car. Power to weight baby! I'll get 'em this time though...

matty

Established Member
CharlieCobra03 said:
That happens. I've got a pulley and tune in mine that made 444 RWHP in another Snake that is making 466 in mine with a pegged MAF. I'm expecting 475-480 soon so there can be large differences between two Cobra's.

BTW These #'s are with the same 11.7:1 RWTD tune as well. Go figure?

sorry but that cant be right. i mean both are same built to same specs. i dont believe in the so called freaks...i believe in errors occurring.

matty

Established Member
CharlieCobra03 said:
RX-7s can be very quick with a good driver. I lost to one on the fifth round before I pullied up (him tweaking after every run) when I was making about 420. He weighed in @ 2670 empty with a 125 Lbs. driver against my 3960 with me in the car. Power to weight baby! I'll get 'em this time though...

well i love my rx7...but it seems they are finally being dethroned (not that they are the fastest car outthere just were very formidable pre 03 cobra and z06). It takes a very serious RX7 to hang with a modded cobra or even worse a z06 with a big shot. Unfortunately one of my friends drives a cobra making 500 rwhp and the other has a 03 z06 with a 125 shot and full exhaust an intake. I will have to upgrade my turbo to even hang and that is big bucks. Right now the z06 with the shot and exhaust and intake ownes all. i hate n20.

Last edited:

Indykid

Established Member
matty said:
well i love my rx7...but it seems they are finally being dethroned (not that they are the fastest car outthere just were very formidable pre 03 cobra and z06). It takes a very serious RX7 to hang with a modded cobra or even worse a z06 with a big shot. Unfortunately one of my friends drives a cobra making 500 rwhp and the other has a 03 z06 with a 125 shot and full exhaust an intake. I will have to upgrade my turbo to even hang and that is big bucks. Right now the z06 with the shot and exhaust and intake ownes all. i hate n20.

I hear ya Mat, but you forgot about the supra!!!!!

CharlieCobra03

Established Member
matty said:
sorry but that cant be right. i mean both are same built to same specs. i dont believe in the so called freaks...i believe in errors occurring.

All I know is what I see on the graphs. The numbers don't lie. Case in point. I was making 417.7 RWHP with just the CAI and Catback before I pullied with no tune. Freaks happen. I've been doing this for 30 years and once in a while, everything just comes together perfect. Not as often with hand built stuff like SVT's but it does happen.

matty

Established Member
Indykid said:
I hear ya Mat, but you forgot about the supra!!!!!
well i had it in there first but then deleted...hate them too.lol. Here is where the new american muscle differs from the supra and rx7. People rarely spend 20k in modding...but most do spend a few grand. Haviung said that..if you put a few grand into a supra and rx7 they are still pretty evenly matched. Now put a few grand into a cobra or z06 and its all over....see what i am saying?

sucks dude...now i have to go single....and spend all that money after i already spent so much.

Last edited:

Indykid

Established Member
matty said:
well i had it in there first but then deleted...hate them too.lol. Here is where the new american muscle differs from the supra and rx7. People rarely spend 20k in modding...but most do spend a few grand. Haviung said that..if you put a few grand into a supra and rx7 they are still pretty evenly matched. Now put a few grand into a cobra or z06 and its all over....see what i am saying?

sucks dude...now i have to go single....and spend all that money after i already spent so much.

Another factor which plays a big part for me is the value that the supra holds. I went single in sept. and I don't worry about anything except maybe some 1000+cc supersport bikes. There really isn't alot of scary fast cars around my town. With the exception of other supras and Radkins. But his car is stock right now. ;-)

SynMan5.0

Established Member
Sounded like the guy in the Stang hit it at 2000 RPM (note that he didn't shift the entire time). :nonono: The Cobra probably would've lost no matter what on the highway, though. The jap car weighs a LOT less with close HP numbers. Nice RX-7. :beer:

Indykid

Established Member
svt46sc said:
Sounded like the guy in the Stang hit it at 2000 RPM (note that he didn't shift the entire time). :nonono: The Cobra probably would've lost no matter what on the highway, though. The jap car weighs a LOT less with close HP numbers. Nice RX-7. :beer:

I think that the fd would have won anyway. I will buy the cobra this winter and vid it again, which is why in the orginal post I said "with a good driver this time"

indy

808GT

Established Member
Indykid said:
Another factor which plays a big part for me is the value that the supra holds. I went single in sept. and I don't worry about anything except maybe some 1000+cc supersport bikes. There really isn't alot of scary fast cars around my town. With the exception of other supras and Radkins. But his car is stock right now. ;-)

why going single is best than the twin???

Users who are viewing this thread