03 Cobra- What RPM to launch from?

WhiteT3

White Snake
Established Member
I am heading out to the track Thursday night. I am at 412 RWHP and have 315 Nitto DRs with 20 PSI. What RMP should I launch at? What kind of 60' time is good. My best is 2.160. ( yes, thats bad. :shrug: ). I need to work on my burn-outs, and my launch. Always have fun at the track though.

Last edited:

BigSweezey

<insert witty title here>
Established Member
I would drop the PSI to around 15-16 if you can. I launch at about 4k, and feather the clutch out. I think anything below 2.0 is pretty good. Have seen people down around the 1.7 mark tho.

WhiteT3

White Snake
Established Member
BigSweezey said:
. I launch at about 4k, and feather the clutch out. .

Not sure what "feather the clutch out" means. Is that letting the clutch out slowly? :shrug:

BigSweezey

<insert witty title here>
Established Member
If I just dropped the clutch at 4k, my back tires would turn into little rubber puddles. haha
It's to help control traction, and detering wheel hop is more like a byproduct of that.

RJM03Cobra

10 second snake
Established Member
Do a spectacular burn out and really get those DRs hot, they will hook, my bfgs have got 1.70 @ 4000 rpm launch popping the clutch, but they have to be really hot and soft, only thing is they wont last too long!

nugen

Established Member
"Spectacular Burnout"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It sounds sarcastic and it may be funny to look at, but it's true. If you don't get your DRs hot they just won't hook. Drive around the burnout box and back into it. Keep your front tires dry or they will leave a trail of water for you to drive through. Get your tires wet and drive out of the water. Otherwise your burnout will throw water up into your fender, to drip down on your nice warm tires. Burn 'em up nice and good. Second gear burnout or you'll bounce off the rev limiter.

The track is also important. Stock F1's on a well prepped track will hook better than your DRs on an unprepped track. If you are going on an open street night then there is a good chance that the track isn't well prepped. Why should they go to the trouble to prep the track when all the Honda's are going to drive through the burnout box and get water all over the track. It wouldn't make any sense for them.

And here's a quick lesson that I learned. If the guy in front of you dumps any liquid on the track in front of you, just take it easy before you end up in the wall. They can clean it up all they want, but sometimes there is enough left on the track to get you sideways at 100mph.

Good luck, and have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread