03 GT vs. Lightning very close run

TripleTrouble

4CAM5.OH
Established Member
So I was heading home from the Cleveland County fair in Shelby, North Carolina with my girlfriend and finally got a good run.

When I go to turn onto Hwy 74 off of the road the fair is on I notice a Silver Lightning a few vehicles ahead and sounded really nice. I got behind him when we were in the 55mph zone and then it switched to 65mph so I bumped it up to 70 and switched lanes. I come up beside the Lightning not really wanting to do anything but he revved so I lingered beside him. We slowed down to 55 and let the people in front of us get ahead a good bit. I was in 3rd at around 3,000rpm. He honked to get my attention to tell me to honk. I honked 3 times and then hit it. Heard the eaton whine really loud on the Lightning and some possible spinning from him. From the hit I pulled about half a car but he was inching on me really good until he came up on a car right as I shifted to 4th at around 110. If it wasn't for that car I know he would have pulled me good.

He came up beside me after I slowed down and he got around that car and told me that he has Pro-Dyno on his windsheild too (place that tuned my car.) I had a full tank of gas (only 45ish miles since I filled up.)

Don't know if he is on here but hope to see him at the dyno day at Pro-Dyno on November 5th.

It was a good friendly run. Mods are in the sig and his mods are unknown. :beer:

Last edited:

Sonic03BlueGT

Established Member
Nice run! Cool to see someone else on here from close to the house. I live about thirty min or less from shelby

TripleTrouble

4CAM5.OH
Established Member
Nice run! Cool to see someone else on here from close to the house. I live about thirty min or less from shelby

Same here. I live about 40 minutes or so from Shadyside.

I was surprised cause I thought I was gonna get killed from the get go. I just have a bolt-on and dyno tuned 2V GT still running the stock 4 cat H-pipe.

Sonic03BlueGT

Established Member
Same here. I live about 40 minutes or so from Shadyside.

I was surprised cause I thought I was gonna get killed from the get go. I just have a bolt-on and dyno tuned 2V GT still running the stock 4 cat H-pipe.

Yeah im about forty min from there as well. Do you ever go run your car there. Thinking about taking my car back as sometime as soon as i get this fuel problem figured out. And 2v's run damn good for what they are. No one is afraid to race them so at least you get plenty of races. I outran 3 ls1 camaros in mine including 1 six speed car in third gear as well as plenty of older cobras and the such, i know my car wasnt the fastest thing on earth but with some decent driving and not being afraid to beat it to death it could put a nose ahead of alot of cars on the street. Wish i still had mine but the cobra is way more fun to drive

TripleTrouble

4CAM5.OH
Established Member
I've been there 3 different times with 3 different cars (03 GT, 04 Cobra, and 95 GTS). I have ran the 03 at Moorsville 2 times. I need drag radials cause the last time I had the 03 GT at the track I spun like crazy and even had some wheelhop once and I no lift shift to 2nd so I spin half way through 2nd. Still was able to run 9.10s @ 79. On my last pass I cut my 60' down .1 and my 330' was down by .2, but when I dialed for 3rd gear I got a busy signal and just coasted the rest of the way out of gear and ran a 9.40 @ 67. Oh well...it happens. hahaha I miss having the 04 Cobra though.

MACHXLR8

Third Member
Established Member
Op..way to hang in there against the L'. They can begin to pull hard once they overcome the inertia. They have a lot of mass to accelerate..:rolling:
Anyway, I know exactly where your race went down. I worked as a contractor in a company called Invensys in Shelby, NC for weeks at a time. I have not been there for a while though.
Anyway man, nice run and be safe.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread