03 Lightning vs. 02ish? Mustang GT with a vortech

skipthedrummer

Established Member
For those who wish not to read, there's a Spark Notes section at the bottom.

So, i'm just cruising back from my college when I notice a red GT mustang pacing me. We wait till traffic clears up a bit, and mess around with each other, just flying by each other and sizing each other up. When we hit a traffic light I ask,

"You taking the highway bud?" And he answered to my suprise,

"Yup."

So, at the stop light we compliment each others cars, he asks me whats done to it, and I told him pullied and a couple bolt ons. Then I asked him what was done to his stang, and I was a bit shocked.

"Vortech Supercharger running about 10 psi"

Shiiiiit. Oh well, I thought, I'll just run him, knowing full and well he'd catch me.

For the on ramp there's a slight turn until we can both get on it, so I waited till we straightened out and then punched it. I heard him hit his rev limiter and I flew past him.

Hmm. Must have missed a shift.

So we let traffic pass and lined up next to each other. I grab my video camera only to see "No Battery". ****. I hollered to do a 40 roll, but we did it from a 50 to not hold up any traffic. 3 honks and we were off. He pulled slightly, then hit the rev limiter again. I instantly pulled a car or two, but shortly he reeled me back in. Of course, this above the speed limit, and the L doesn't do too well at those speeds.

Anyways, after accepting my defeat, we rolled into a gas station parking lot and talked for a little. He had a snow performance meth kit, the V2 vortech, and what sounded like a catless exhaust on stock manifolds. It was a good run, just wish I could have gotten it on video. He said he had just bought it, which would explain the missed shifts. If he hadn't missed any, he would have absolutely raped me.

Spark Notes:

I raced a vortech blown gt. I won first race, because of missed shift. He passed me after around 90 on a 50 roll because of a missed shift.

ITRIEDEL

Established Member
how much HP does your L have? Ive raced 3 L's 1 on a highway roll and another from a dig launching at 800rpm and i blow by them like their standing still and i just have a bolt on GT... and you can hear the eaton louder than shit...i raced one long time ago in my vette by he walked me... but i was let down cause i figured i was going to get butt raped by all of them.... maybe they were just stock

skipthedrummer

Established Member
I'm supposed to be around 400 whp and 500 tq.

It's running about 14-16 pounds of boost on a 6lb lower.

Last edited:

Grant Theft Auto

I hit deer.
Established Member
how much HP does your L have? Ive raced 3 L's 1 on a highway roll and another from a dig launching at 800rpm and i blow by them like their standing still and i just have a bolt on GT... and you can hear the eaton louder than shit...i raced one long time ago in my vette by he walked me... but i was let down cause i figured i was going to get butt raped by all of them.... maybe they were just stock

.....you beat a lightning from a dig? the only time i beat one wich i now see isn't really beating one was on a roll and i didn't get ahead of him till about 130mph. from a dig those thing are torque monsters! there is no way you took one from a dig with just a bolt on GT!!! i call :bs: just like most everyone will. you can't F up in a lightning on a roll or dig cuz there all auto's! worse thing might be is they will spin. now the one i raced was a '99 and was stock and so was my GT but i doubt bolt ons will will make me blow by them like their standing still! My GT barley pulls away from my bolt on Truck and it has the same motor too!

Last edited:

skipthedrummer

Established Member
Yeah, you're going to need more than bolt on's (unless youre bolting on boost) to take a Lightning from a dig.

It's where we shine, really.

ITRIEDEL

Established Member
.....you beat a lightning from a dig? the only time i beat one wich i now see isn't really beating one was on a roll and i didn't get ahead of him till about 130mph. from a dig those thing are torque monsters! there is no way you took one from a dig with just a bolt on GT!!! i call :bs: just like most everyone will. you can't F up in a lightning on a roll or dig cuz there all auto's! worse thing might be is they will spin. now the one i raced was a '99 and was stock and so was my GT but i doubt bolt ons will will make me blow by them like their standing still! My GT barley pulls away from my bolt on Truck and it has the same motor too!

:bored: Okay... then its BS... i made it up... Im not going to get in a argument over what i smoked...matter of fact let me dig up my vid of a 383 TPI corvette smoking one from a dig

but for reference a stock lighting times are

1999 Ford F-150 Lightning 5.8 14.3
2001 Ford F-150 Lightning 5.2 13.9

Stock... who knows if the ones i raced were stock..

But you cant tell me thats not possible to run in a bolt on GT... :nonono:

My mods are

75mmTB/C&L plenum/CAI/Mgflow Catback/Shorthrow/UD Pullies/Diablosport 93 Tune/3.73's...

My friend who has a DSG mustang with a CAI is no compition.. Put some Gears in your GT and itll wake up...

And Ive beat 2 of them both the same color dark blue 2 different people... the first one i raced was on the highway and he followed me to get a roll race... I killed him bad...ill admit i was stunned because i really thought they were much faster... but i dont know

the 2nd one i raced was from a dig. I was about to race a 99 yellow cobra 100% stock, but this guy in a blue lighting pulls up and asks to race one of us... But didnt want to race the cobra's... so they point at me... I said okay... We lined up I honked 3 times, i forgot to even bring up the revs to launch and i literally bogged off the line my lights going dim about to stall but yet i pulled on him...around 80mph...with a launch im confident i would of killed him

But judging by the stock times, there no slouch for a truck but there just about as fast as a stock S197 GT

we have a red lightning here in town that suppose to be good for low elevens... so i know whats L's are capable...

Last edited:

Grant Theft Auto

I hit deer.
Established Member
:bored: Okay... then its BS... i made it up... Im not going to get in a argument over what i smoked...matter of fact let me dig up my vid of a 383 TPI corvette smoking one from a dig

but for reference a stock lighting times are

1999 Ford F-150 Lightning 5.8 14.3
2001 Ford F-150 Lightning 5.2 13.9

Stock... who knows if the ones i raced were stock..

But you cant tell me thats not possible to run in a bolt on GT... :nonono:

My mods are

75mmTB/C&L plenum/CAI/Mgflow Catback/Shorthrow/UD Pullies/Diablosport 93 Tune/3.73's...

My friend who has a DSG mustang with a CAI is no compition.. Put some Gears in your GT and itll wake up...

And Ive beat 2 of them both the same color dark blue 2 different people... the first one i raced was on the highway and he followed me to get a roll race... I killed him bad...ill admit i was stunned because i really thought they were much faster... but i dont know

the 2nd one i raced was from a dig. I was about to race a 99 yellow cobra 100% stock, but this guy in a blue lighting pulls up and asks to race one of us... But didnt want to race the cobra's... so they point at me... I said okay... We lined up I honked 3 times, i forgot to even bring up the revs to launch and i literally bogged off the line my lights going dim about to stall but yet i pulled on him...around 80mph...with a launch im confident i would of killed him

But judging by the stock times, there no slouch for a truck but there just about as fast as a stock S197 GT

we have a red lightning here in town that suppose to be good for low elevens... so i know whats L's are capable...

ok so you beat newer lightning '01 and up and yet you said "i blow by them like they are standing still" you just admitted you didn't pull on him till 80mph! 1/8 you would have lost and you would have barely won in the 1/4 congrats on the kill buts its only a matter of time before you get owned by a pullied one. i'm trying to set up a race with a guy here in town with a stock '04. i'm swapping out my 3.55's for either 4.10's or 4.30's. my only performance mod is a K&N intake. car put down 225rwhp but with gears it should be a good race. we will have to wait and see.

skipthedrummer

Established Member

Woah, that's cool. Your 383 TPI Mustang Gt Corvette?
:bored:

Apples to oranges. He's calling BS on a bolt on gt.

ITRIEDEL

Established Member
ok so you beat newer lightning '01 and up and yet you said "i blow by them like they are standing still" you just admitted you didn't pull on him till 80mph! 1/8 you would have lost and you would have barely won in the 1/4 congrats on the kill buts its only a matter of time before you get owned by a pullied one. i'm trying to set up a race with a guy here in town with a stock '04. i'm swapping out my 3.55's for either 4.10's or 4.30's. my only performance mod is a K&N intake. car put down 225rwhp but with gears it should be a good race. we will have to wait and see.

I also admitted i launched at 800rpm my car was about to die but still killed him from a dig... lol man look im not dogging on L's i know what there about...relax guys... Im just saying the run in's ive had with them ive smoked all but 1 but i was in my TPI vette at the time... but my TPI was stock at the time...

L's are cool matter of fact when i raced the one on the highway my GF asked "why are u trying to race a truck" i said "because that aint no ordinary truck cause hes going to eat my ass" well i guess i spoke too soon... Cause i pulled him by about a car and half...then he followed me to the underpass about a 30 roll he honked off and i let him get the jump and still killed him... My GF also was asking what the noise was... I had to explain

Woah, that's cool. Your 383 TPI Mustang Gt Corvette?
:bored:

Apples to oranges. He's calling BS on a bolt on gt.

did i say MY 383 TPI gt mustang...Hooked on phonics... and no if you think TPI will keep up with anything your lost... I know i use to have one

Also if you all dont believe me SVTDUDE01 was there and hes on the site he drives a 4v vert...he was called out and told the lightning to race me...he saw me launch like shit and he also saw me catch him... so if you feel to prove me wrong PM him and ask him

sorry if i shitted on anyones parade im not dissing L's there badass as hell... and im sure a pullied/tuned one would do circles around me... just asking what kind of power they made stock...

:beer:

Last edited:

Grant Theft Auto

I hit deer.
Established Member
I also admitted i launched at 800rpm my car was about to die but still killed him from a dig... lol man look im not dogging on L's i know what there about...relax guys... Im just saying the run in's ive had with them ive smoked all but 1 but i was in my TPI vette at the time... but my TPI was stock at the time...

L's are cool matter of fact when i raced the one on the highway my GF asked "why are u trying to race a truck" i said "because that aint no ordinary truck cause hes going to eat my ass" well i guess i spoke too soon... Cause i pulled him by about a car and half...then he followed me to the underpass about a 30 roll he honked off and i let him get the jump and still killed him... My GF also was asking what the noise was... I had to explain

did i say MY 383 TPI gt mustang...Hooked on phonics... and no if you think TPI will keep up with anything your lost... I know i use to have one

Also if you all dont believe me SVTDUDE01 was there and hes on the site he drives a 4v vert...he was called out and told the lightning to race me...he saw me launch like shit and he also saw me catch him... so if you feel to prove me wrong PM him and ask him

sorry if i shitted on anyones parade im not dissing L's there badass as hell... and im sure a pullied/tuned one would do circles around me... just asking what kind of power they made stock...

:beer:

next time get it on video

2tonOfun

Established Member
I think the BS flag unfurrled from the "like they were standing still" comment.
A stock L is a mid to high 13 second truck, depending on driver and so is an S197 (car, not a truck:dw: ) anyway, I don't think your bolt on's are going to enable you to pass them "like they were standing still".

But, hey I wasn't there so I have no reason to doubt you.
It's been so long since I rode in a "stock" Lightning, I wonder just how much slower they feel?
I know once they are pullied, tuned and have the right bolt on's, they are completely different trucks. At least a full second in the quarter, which is quite a few car lenghts.

And to the OP, you just never know what you're up against when it comes to a Fox Body Stang. I know I had one for years (big sigh).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread