03 Mach 1 swap 03 cobra block?

Dmgp1

So my Mach has 151k miles and it's burning oil, I was told by a mechanic that it would be better to replace the motor with a used one, to rebuild my motor would be very pricey. If I went the rebuild route can I just purchased an 03 cobra short block, install the Mach 1 heads and be done with it?
I was searching for an 03/04 cobra complete motor but haven't been able to locate one and when I do they are very expensive.

The car has been a grocery getter for the 11 years that I have owned it, I would like to start fixing it up and that's why I've been looking into the cobra's short Ang long blocks.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Dmgp1

I'm been searching for information and haven't found any, any help cars is a shop found an 03 short block for 1500, so I would like advice if it would be good to use the short block.
Thanks

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
You found an 03 cobra short block? If they can guarantee no problems, pull the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
5.3 Ford Racing stroker short block and sell yours. Perfect foundation for future power.
Can't build one for the $5000-5200 FRPP asking.
If you just want stock performance, simple rebuild on your stocker. Rings, bearings and head refresh not much money.
Good luck.
-J

Dmgp1

Yes I'm my area they are selling a complete short block pistons, rods and crank. Owner said it had 70k miles. The mechanic at the shop I have my car in said that he would recommend find the complete motor so it's less of a hassle to do the job, the mechanic found a stock complete motor for the Mach for $3900 he says, installed and everything it will be $5500, but I want to upgrade
The end game is supercharger but I'm also trying to do it with out braking the bank to much if possible.

Thanks guys for the information.

Mattstang04

Established Member
Just a heads up. The stock mach 1 engine has 10.5 to 1 compression. The stock 03 or 04 cobra engine has about 8.5 to 1 and telies on the blower to make the compression. If you don't have the blower on that cobra bottom end and put your mach 1 intake on, it's going to run sloooooowwww because the lack of compression. If you're doing the stock terminator short block, better bolt that blower on at the same time or you'll be bruising bugs. Good luck.

rowekmr

Established Member
What about the 4.6l 4v from the Marauder or Aviator (wrecked) those especially the latter are much cheaper?

Dmgp1

I haven't thought of that, is there a big difference between the marauder I see those on eBay alot. I passed on the short block because the first mechanic told me its preferred to get the complete engine, how much work would a short block require?
Well I took the car to another shop called jba in San Diego and spoke to the rep and he was talking about around 9k to rebuild the engine in the mach 1, replacing the internal basically just re using the stock block and the heads, making it equivalent to the terminator, except no blower. I've seen terminator engine complete with tranny and wiring and ECM for about 8k.
Looks like I might just have to wait a little longer as I only have 6.5k at the moment.
Thanks guys for the info

StrayBullitt

Established Member
Man if you're on a budget.. if I were you I would jump on that terminator short block. Just look it over closely, look for any pitting in the cylinders or on the pistons from detonation, look for any fretting of the bearings, sometimes you can see signs of a spun bearing without taking the bearing cap off. Take a 32mm socket with you and put it on the crank snout, make sure it spins over and is smooth. Yeah you'll be lower compression but your motor will still run just fine in the mean time until you are ready to add the blower. If you do go for it, you'll want to plan for a new ford racing timing kit and if I were you I would add an upgraded oil pan with windage tray such as an MMR and I would go with ARP head bolts or studs for future peace of mind for your blower setup. For all said and done you would have a sweet motor for about $2500 plus whatever for labor. Make double sure it is a terminator block, look for the Manley Rods and the ARP rod bolts.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
Also, I have to say. As a former Mechanic of 10 years and still doing it a lot on the side, if your mechanic is telling you that you need to find a complete motor so that it's 'less hassle to complete the job' you should consider taking your car to a different shop. It just sounds like they are more interested in getting your car in and out rather than doing a good complete job on it and doing it right.

Users who are viewing this thread