03 mach spring question

Ryan427

Established Member
Is it okay to cut mach 1 springs? I know or have heard of people cutting cobra springs and being fine. Have also heard that cutting gt springs messes them up. Is this true? Can somebody set me straight?

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Charlington

Established Member
Well, the front spring is not bad (if you cut the bottom) but the rear ... Can't cut the bottom because the way it's wound it wouldn't fit back on the LCA and the top wouldn't be flat anymore to fit the frame. Cobra's IRS rear springs look like front springs. Not a problem. Much quicker, plus springs don't cost much, to just buy some lowering springs and swap them out and if you don't like it you can swap back.
The thing is when you lower the car it messes up the steering geometry and you need to install bump steer kit, Caster/Camber plates, X2 Ball Joints, Shorter swaybar end links, etc and a new alignment to do it properly. If you lower it an inch or less then you can get away without most of that.
I could go on and on but I have no idea what I'm talking about but after reading up on it I decided to leave it stock, sorta. I don't want to drag the bottom of the car, mufflers etc. tear off the front valance on parking lot wheel stops, speed bumps, armadillos, (there should be an air deflecter something under the radiator). I've seen many many car owners evening ruined when they pull into the bar/restaurant and scrape, crack, snap all that front plastic off... And then they come in and threaten law suit for ruining their car...
Everything on YouTube how to do it I'm sure.

Charlington

Established Member
Here is why you don't cut your stock springs, - Quoting another post from a Terminator, cut springs thread -

"UPDATE GUYS. I got really sick of scraping and found a stock set of used uncut coils at the mustang shop in rancho so I put it back to stock. The car ended up settling about 1.75 inches lower and it was just too low. With three people it would rub in the rear if you hit a bump on the freeway. Maybe if I had my stock width rear wheels on it wouldn't but it still scraped over every speed bump. I did change the way i did the rear installation like BIGV did and it was a little easier - didnt have to struggle with the springs as much. It took me by myself about 4 hours to put it back to stock. I got to say that looking at the car now just isn't the same but its a lot more functional. I love the lowered look just not the ride."

I tried and for the life of me could not find stock length aftermarket springs, so keep your stock parts! or you'll have to find stockers later. Stock front Mach 1 should be the same 600lb spring as a front 03/04 Cobra coupe.

Users who are viewing this thread