'03+ MM Strut tower Brace with JLT?

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
I know though the old threads that the '01 strut tower braces dont work with JLT intakes.

I know Maximum Motorsports released an '03+ STB brace, would that work with an '01 with the stock hood and JLT CAI? I know Machone351 got one on there but he's got a cobra R hood and it looked like a ton of spacers for clearance???

I've been thinking about getting one ever since reading the torsional rigidity thread on CC.com on how much the 2 diagnal braces helped the rigidity on a toothpick and cardboard model. I'm pretty much obsessed with rigidty on my floppy convertible.

UCBeau

i got a buddy with one, i'll try to test fit it tomorrow on my car and see if it works. i also have a JLT.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
Does anyone know for sure if it will clear the stock hood? In the pic on MM's site it looks like you would reuse all the same mounting holes as the 99/01 brace if you already have it.

UCBeau

sorry, the guy didnt show up today so i didnt get to test fit. i'll try to get it from him soon though

Mach0ne351

Established Member
yup. it should fit fine with the 03/04 Cobra STB. BUT youll need an aftermarket cowl hood to make it work.

http://www.32valve.com/installs_mm03stb.htm

here's mine clearing my BBK unit :) PLENTY of room
DSC06955.jpg

view the link i posted to see the install, and what you need to do to make it work...

marek

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
yeah it looks like you have plenty of clearance. Do you really need those washers to clear the throttle cable bracket or can you some how bend or relocate the bracket?
it looks like if you can get the STB on there without the washers, it might work with the stock hood.

sandiego01snake: let us know when you can try to fit it on your car. It would be sweet if we can get it to work.

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
they got some interesting stuff...

unfortunatly STB prob wont work with my MM caster camber plates... and looking at the design, it doesnt seem like it will help the torsional rigidity (it needs the diagnal pieces) but the pictures are too small to really see the design.

the door panel replacement is interesting.. a little on the pricy side but I guess its expensive to mold such a complicated/low volume piece.

that pneumatic pop-up wing is kinda crazy, I've had that same idea for a long time (after seeing the porsche 911 wings), but I've never thought anyone would actually make it. I would'nt have used pneumatics though.. linear actuators work better and easier to hook up.

Last edited:

otto

Established Member
for the wing they tried liner acuators but were too slow if geared strong or weak if geared fast air gave them speed ,power and adjustability. and the strut tower brace dosnt hook to the firewall because it dosent do any thing for handling all that shake is just superficial.( if you just stop the cowl shake your kmember and sub frame are still moving around hindering your handling.stopping the shake gives the impression of solving the problem). the brace has pieces that connect inside the strut tower and run down to the two big bolts that hold the k member to the subframe so it acualy connects where it needs too. if you want the firewall pieces they make one that is exacatly the same but with two extra pieces to the firewall for those annoyed with a shaking cowl.oh also it was designed to use mm castor camber plates you just use diferent washers on the bottom of the adjustors.they make them for steeda plates too.

Last edited:

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
Interesting.. I havent spec'ed out any actuators in a while, but it seems that as long as you have enough amperage, you can have enough power to actuate it at a decent speed. maybe packaging is the main issue here.

you seem to know to company pretty well. How do they seal the wing actuation? (prevent water from getting into the trunk?)

Yeah the cowl shake bugs me, and I'd like to get ride of it. All the pics on the website are kind of small and its hard to see details. Do you have any of those parts on your car (esp their STB)? If so how do you like it?

Last edited:

USBlueStage2

Established Member
This link shows pics of MM STB on my car ; with JLT; '03 Cobra Hood.

MM called me when I ordered the brace b/c they noticed that my car was an '02 - they said it would not fit under stock GT hood - I know '01 Cobra has slightly more clearance, but I dont think it will fit.

JWG

Users who are viewing this thread