03 mustang gt transmission

jrs_o3gt

Established Member
does anyone know how to pull a tranny out of an 03 gt?? i know the lower exhaust bolt is a bitch but i think if i get the starter off ill have more room to work.. but im not really sureis there something im missing or is there an easier way to do it.. can i pull the tranny without pulling the motor??

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
i just changed mine out. I have an late build 01 but the same stock tranny motor setup as yours. The top starter bolt is a PAIN IN THE ASS. Mine didnt even go back in. I kept it out for ease of later removal (its not necessary to run all 3 bolts in the starter) The exhaust came off easily on mine, and overall its not bad, the top bolt wasnt a piece of cake to put in but wasnt bad either. My brother and myself did this while laying on our back with the car on jackstands, with a lift it would be much easier, and yes you can pull the tranny without touching the motor

jrs_o3gt

Established Member
any tips on how to get the lower exhaust nut off? i have a deep well 15 with a swivell and a 12 inch extention but i cant seem to keep it on the nut it wants to spin right off...

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
my exhaust is way different. but yea if you think those bolts are bad wait till you get to the starter and the top two tranny bolts...

the trick for the top 2 is to leave the shifter off and go through the inside of the car after them with some extensions. Thats the way i did it and they were both in in about 10 min

jrs_o3gt

Established Member
i have an automatic.. do i have to take the shifter off to get to the top 2? and i have the bottom 2 bolts off of the starter i just cant find the third....

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
run your hand around the starter and the 3rd one is tucked up way in there, its a pain in the ass to get to

you can get to the top 2 without taking the shifter out, but the shifter will have to come out regardless or well it makes it easier if it does

jrs_o3gt

Established Member
ok so the lower exhaust nut is rounded off.. does anyone know of a way to cut it off?? i mtried a dremel and a saw zaw but there too big an wont fit in there...

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
i would say take a socket that is a little smaller than the nut and beat it on, you will lose the socket but the nut will come off, thats if you have room to get in there and do it, or just bring it to a shop

jrs_o3gt

Established Member
that didnt work... does anyone know of any cutting tools that will fir in there? id rather cut it off an just put a new stud in it...

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
is it on far enough to where you can double nut it and take the stud out? If so I had to do this when putting on my SLP x pipe

jrs_o3gt

Established Member
i got it i just used a dremel and grinded it down n beat the nut an stud off... im just gonna drill it out an tap it.. and put a new stud in it.... but does anyone know if a t5 would fit my car? i can get a full manual kit without the bell housing for 500 but idk if the tranny would bolt up to my bellhousing... any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread