03 pcv system

UptonMustang

The FASTER Cobra
Established Member
I picked my 03 a few months back and it originally had a breather in place of the oil cap. Swapped that for an off the shelf parts store oil cap. Shorty after, I put on a JLT Hiboost intake and (like an idiot) used the supplied breather instead of drilling into the rubber elbow and keeping the return tube.
Needless to say, the idle went down hill and developed a miss. I decided the unmetered air was to blame and decided to cap the pass valve cover.

I'll admit in hindsight, that was a poor decision. I hit the interstate today for about an hour and not long into the trip, noticed a light smoke screen exiting out back. Pulled over to check it out and found the cheapo oil cap had backed out and was leaking oil all over my drivers header. Ended up loosing almost a quart by the time I got to where I was headed. Went to the dealer and picked up a factory cap. Problem solved, no more leaky cap.

Then on the trip back, the rubber grommet on the pass valve cover and the plug I used to cap it off, blew out and again leaked everywhere.

After much research, I can't find the answers I'm after. Is there a good way to delete the pcv system all together.... or is that even recommended? If not, what's the best route to go? Not too educated on this system so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
The 03 is a bit different than the 99 but I run the K&N 3/4" push in Breathers on both banks and plug off the intake where the PCV hose attaches!
photo0022s.jpg

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
PCV is a " blow", whereas your IAC is a "suck". so you were not getting unmetered air to cause your rough idle. breathers in the valve covers are fine, but do mist oil so you will have to clean that up. you can also run hose from your covers to a catch can.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Mine never leak, I used to put sweat bands on them thinking they would but there's never any significant misting so those were taken off!

forcefedcobra

Established Member
plug port under intake, plug port on back of blower, run hose from each cam cover to a catch can. done!

You'll want to check your tune afterward

Users who are viewing this thread