'03 production delay??

ObieFox

Established Member
I spoke with a rep at the VOPC number and she told me that there has been some "quality" production delays on the '03 Cobra. No details, she just would say "quality" issues. She got the delay information by checking a status board on her computer while she was talking to me. My car has been "bucked" or started down the line since the week of May 6th, but the build date is still listed as "TBD".

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
I heard this same thing from my salesman just this morning. This is no rumor. He was given the same reason - "quality issue". My dealer has at least a couple cars that would otherwise have been, or should have been built by now. One was sched'd to be built on 5/8 and another on 5/13, but they still are showing "bucked" (ready to roll down the line.) :shrug:

edz

Retired.
Established Member
Just got off the phone with Quinton at 1-800-FORDSVT he said he was aware of no delays at this time. Am I the only one with the SVT hotline number???? 1-800-FORDSVT

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by edz
Just got off the phone with Quinton at 1-800-FORDSVT he said he was aware of no delays at this time. Am I the only one with the SVT hotline number???? 1-800-FORDSVT

EDZ - People at VOPC line have a different story. It is a dealer-only line, so have your dealer call and see what they tell him. Just because Quinton says he "was aware of no delays" does not mean there isn't one, right? Perhaps no one has communicated this to him? The fact remains that my dealer has at least two cars that should have been built by now, and they still have not rolled down the assembly line. No matter what we want to believe, that is a delay. If something isn't done on schedule...it's been delayed! So seriously, it would be worth it to have your dealer call the VOPC line. Obviously something is going on here and no details are being given out.

COBRAJIM9999

Established Member
2003 cobra production

I figure I would post what I know. First I am both an SVT salesperson and someone who also has ordered a 2003 cobra convertible and is anxious about getting my new car. I currently have a 01 convert and my dealer took a deposit on my car so it looks like I will be trading it in prior to the arrival of my new car. Now I called vehicle order processing and checked on the status of my car and that of two others cars my dealership had sold. As of yesterday not one of the cars due to get built the week of 5/13 was built. This included my car chassis number 204 and chassis number 95 and 423. Now they are building cobra's out of sequence so people should not get caught up in that but what I was told really surprized me. First the lady at opc told me about 65 cobra's had been produced and because of quality concerns that they had been built and put aside to correct the problem. She also stated that the cars that were not built the week of 5/13 should get done this week. The surprize statement I was told is that Ford had not signed off on quality as of yet. Now what that really means is that they need to make enough Cobra's to check batch quality. Ususally thats a few hundred and than they can signed off if the amount of defects is small enough. What it really means to me is that the first cobra's will probably not get on dealer lot's till mid june. That SUCKS! I also called svt afterward and found that recent posts on here about the hood probs were not rumors and that was the source of the delay. SVT also felt delivery would be in mid june and thats how it would probably go down. I am sitting here typing instead of kicking my cat :cuss: :gt: What made the waiting even worse that I got the opportunity to drive an 03 in Arizona last month and it really got me going. First I know I want to Ford to make my car right so I will live but I'm just a little anxious. However all when it gets to all of us I promise it will rock the house. My wife will think she married a ghost because I won't be home for awhile.

Last edited:

mineral03

Established Member
Mine was the sae way. Mine was supposed to be built the week of the 6th, but, according to the dealer sheet, it has been "bucked". All the others that had been ordered werent even there, they were all only "scheduled". i called the VOPC on the 15th, and they said it was due to be built that week. oh well, just looks like im supposed to wait a little longer...

01blkcovert

Established Member
Re: 2003 cobra production

Originally posted by COBRAJIM9999
I figure I would post what I know. First I am both an SVT salesperson and someone who also has ordered a 2003 cobra convertible and is anxious about getting my new car. I currently have a 01 convert and my dealer took a deposit on my car so it looks like I will be trading it in prior to the arrival of my new car. Now I called vehicle order processing and checked on the status of my car and that of two others cars my dealership had sold. As of yesterday not one of the cars due to get built the week of 5/13 was built. This included my car chassis number 204 and chassis number 95 and 423. Now they are building cobra's out of sequence so people should not get caught up in that but what I was told really surprized me. First the lady at opc told me about 65 cobra's had been produced and because of quality concerns that they had been built and put aside to correct the problem. She also stated that the cars that were not built the week of 5/13 should get done this week. The surprize statement I was told is that Ford had not signed off on quality as of yet. Now what that really means is that they need to make enough Cobra's to check batch quality. Ususally thats a few hundred and than they can signed off if the amount of defects is small enough. What it really means to me is that the first cobra's will probably not get on dealer lot's till mid june. That SUCKS! I also called svt afterward and found that recent posts on here about the hood probs were not rumors and that was the source of the delay. SVT also felt delivery would be in mid june and thats how it would probably go down. I am sitting here typing instead of kicking my cat :cuss: :gt: What made the waiting even worse that I got the opportunity to drive an 03 in Arizona last month and it really got me going. First I know I want to Ford to make my car right so I will live but I'm just a little anxious. However all when it gets to all of us I promise it will rock the house. My wife will think she married a ghost because I won't be home for awhile.

Jim,
Were either of those chassis numbers mine? Brian gave me my VIN and a proposed delivery date of 5-27. BTW I'm the buy back!

Users who are viewing this thread