'03 Running trouble (Kinda long)

99hissss

Snake in the Gas
Established Member
I had just driven my wife's 03 Mach a few miles the other day...After a perfect/normal start, (it doesn't see the road but every few months, if that) it first acted like it may have been trying to get fuel, (sputtering/hesitating, etc) and then died right there in the middle of the roadway. After that, it refused to start again, it would turn over all day, but just would not start. I'm thinking...Fuel Filter? I changed it today and it fired right up...For about 2 minutes..Then it began sputtering, ect., and then died and again would only turn over without starting....Since I know now that it's not the fuel filter, I'm open to suggestions as to what to check out next..I've checked the fuel-pump cut-off just in case, and it was not "tripped"...Suggestions, please!

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Bad fuel. Did you use Fuel stabilizer? Letting a car sit without starting for months is not a good idea. When my cars sat I started them once a week and let them idle up to normal temp if I couldn't go for a 5 minute drive.

I would say battery, but you said it fired back up after fuel filter, so I'm not sure what else.

99hissss

Snake in the Gas
Established Member
Bad fuel. Did you use Fuel stabilizer? Letting a car sit without starting for months is not a good idea. When my cars sat I started them once a week and let them idle up to normal temp if I couldn't go for a 5 minute drive.

I would say battery, but you said it fired back up after fuel filter, so I'm not sure what else.

If it is bad fuel, esp. from sitting for so long, what are my options? (I told my wife over and over again to drive it, but she's trying to keep the mileage down....Well, it not running will definitely keep the miles down!) No, as far as I know no fuel stabilizer was used on it..

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
If it is bad fuel, esp. from sitting for so long, what are my options? (I told my wife over and over again to drive it, but she's trying to keep the mileage down....Well, it not running will definitely keep the miles down!) No, as far as I know no fuel stabilizer was used on it..

Drain the fuel from the Tank (as much as you can) and go put fresh gas in it. next time put fuel stabilizer in it. You could suggest that she just start it and let it idle for a while. I would also consider changing the oil even though the mileage is down, it has sat. Sitting and not running is bad for hte car. It needs to purrr once in a while.

Users who are viewing this thread