03 twin turbo cobra tick/knock/smoke problem?

03twinsnakes

Established Member
ok so problem started with what i belive was the infamous head tick but now something else, i was driving the car a few weeks ago an i was in third gear coming into boost an it felt like it lost some power an a puff of white smoke came from the exhaust, car still runs an no leaks but feels like its missing a little on a cylinder an smoke is coming out of the head filters. Its going in the shop the 14th to see whats wrong but id like to have an idea of the problem an the cost. any help would be great.

here a little video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heyo93ZOi0c

Blueline

Established Member
My guess is you blew a headgasket. You can do a compression and leakdown test in the mean time, it will give you a pretty good idea on what failed. GL with your repair :beer:

Last edited:

03twinsnakes

Established Member
Awesome thanks, I'll give that a try Thursday when I have a day off an see what happens. I'm hopping it's a headgasket an nothing serious

03twinsnakes

Established Member
so did a compression test #7 had 10# all the others had 90#, also did a leak down on #7 and air was blowing out of the opposite head filter. Someone told me that 90# was normal but i thought it was around 180#. does it sound like pistons an valves are needing replaced? also is there any recomended rebuild kits or ways to go about it? thanks for all the info!

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
When you use "#, " do you mean PSI? If so, something is very wrong. Cylinder 7 is straight up dead, and 90 lbs on all the others is way low, even if it was cold. Maybe try looking in with a borescope, but either way, it sounds like you have to pull the motor.

03twinsnakes

Established Member
sorry, yea i mean #= psi, thats what i figured an im sure a rebuild is in order. im looking at the mmr rebuild kit but is there any others that would be recomended or better value? im hoping to reuse the crank dince there isnt any ticking or knocking

specizripn

Established Member
Not sure if youre planning on rebuilding it yourself or having it done, or how much power you plan on making in the future, but... Theres a thread floating somewhere around the Terminator section about reman(remanufactured) engines. I forgot which company it is, but one of the major engine rebuilding companies is remanufacturing terminator engines. I think you have to order it through a ford dealer. They cost $4000 + $2000 deposit that you get back after they receive your engine and confirm its a termi motor (could have a hole in the block for all they care, just has to be a terminator long block), and around 4-600$ shipping fees. Pretty good deal. Also has updated heads and pistons. They will send you the reman engine, you swap all your goodies (blower, wiring, ac, etc.) then send back your longblock and then you get your deposit back after they get it. It also has a warranty, like 3 year 100k miles or something. Good Luck!

03twinsnakes

Established Member
i was thinking about rebuilding mine but that sounds like a good deal. think im going to tear apart an see how bad the damage is then make the final choice. thanks for the info!

Users who are viewing this thread