03 vs. Z06 on another forum

Silver 03 Cobra

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=716431

I have read several posts on that forum. I have to say that the majority of their members are the most insecure biggest bunch of jerks I have read collectively on any board. Most boards have a few members that are radical with the rest genuine car enthusiasts that like all domestic sport cars. But that board is close to 80 percent ass hole. I will never ever own another vette just because of the attitude of most that drive them. I would say that maturity is directly proportional to education and income but in their case that law doesn't apply. Plus with 10 year financing :lol1: everybody and his damn brother owns one. It kills me on their board one of the biggest raps on the Cobra is that everybody owns one :rollseyes. Yeah right. You'll notice some of the biggest criticisms comes from the dude with a C5 and a bunch of Z06 bolt-ons. That's like putting Cobra emblems on a V6. Then they bring up the "well it's no contest in the twisties". I will say that by the time I come to the twisties the C5 would be so far behind I could get out and take a leak before he caught up on the other side. Personally, I doubt any LS1 C5 owner likes reading a post showing a dyno sheet with stock to stock Z with less power than an 03. Where I dyno, a big Chevy shop, most C5's are in the 280-290 range :lol: right in line with F-Bodies. And wether they like it or not, an LS1 C5 is not faster than an 03 coupe stock for stock and who gives a crap about twisties.

Last edited by a moderator:

chrisle7220

Established Member
Yeah i totally agree with you Silver03Snake. I actually thought vette owners were cooler than that but they are total a**holes. I mean yeah there car maybe faster, but they spent like 15k more. Put 15k in our cobra and see whos talking now. Dont worry bout them. Let them talk. They like Chevy, we like Ford. Why dont they try and bash on a 2003 viper. The other day i raced some c5 vette, that was so riced out it wasnt even funny. He had a champage colored vette and he put a Z06 badge on it and on his windshield had tally marks of how many imports he's beaten. Anyways he looks at me and gives me a dirty smirk. We take off and i put a good 2 carlenghts on this a-hole. Maybe i should post this on the racing forum(LOL).

Davesnake

you wanna go!
Established Member
Just a bunch of old bastards trying to make each other feel good.

I went to the track with 5 or 6 guys from the local vette club this past fall. They gave me a hard time before we ran saying things like "c'mon when you gonna buy a vette you know you want one" and "I hope you can keep up with us today"

Well my first pass was 12.5 @112mph stock an none of them came close to that except one guy had a zo6 an he ran a 12.9 @ 112 he should have run better but could not hook.
The rest of the C-5's were in the mid 13's all day. :loser:

They would hardly talk to me on the way home....it was awesome :lol:

Dave

jasil

Established Member
The whole cost argument is stupid! When you take the whole car's performance characteristics: Acceleration, braking, handling, top speed, aftermarket *Corvettes* will win. How many cobra's pull over 1g on the skidpad, run 10's, and stop from 60mph in 105'? Of course this is a 30k Lingenfelter package which you could do for alot cheaper, but still costs a butt load more than a modded cobra. If your looking for a good handling, relatively cheap performance car with great straight line ability cobra's are great.

Go do a search for OpticZ06 on that forum. He owned a KB 03' cobra trapping 128mph look what he owns now. A blown Z06 running 10.7@137mph on street tires!!! Yes, it costs alot more, but when push comes to shove they are overall better performers.

Wanna talk vipers..go look at the viper forums where big money comes into play..Multiple vipers in the 9's on street tires and one with a top speed of 230ish. Pretty impressive, but 50k and up for mods.

I'm still buying a cobra though!!

Merry Xmas

Davesnake

you wanna go!
Established Member
Originally posted by jasil
The whole cost argument is stupid! When you take the whole car's performance characteristics: Acceleration, braking, handling, top speed, aftermarket *Corvettes* will win. How many cobra's pull over 1g on the skidpad, run 10's, and stop from 60mph in 105'? Of course this is a 30k Lingenfelter package which you could do for alot cheaper, but still costs a butt load more than a modded cobra. If your looking for a good handling, relatively cheap performance car with great straight line ability cobra's are great.

Go do a search for OpticZ06 on that forum. He owned a KB 03' cobra trapping 128mph look what he owns now. A blown Z06 running 10.7@137mph on street tires!!! Yes, it costs alot more, but when push comes to shove they are overall better performers.

Wanna talk vipers..go look at the viper forums where big money comes into play..Multiple vipers in the 9's on street tires and one with a top speed of 230ish. Pretty impressive, but 50k and up for mods.

Merry Xmas

Congrats on buying the cobra its the best performance car per dollar you can buy in my mind....and you don't have to spend the defence budget to get it in the 10's

94cobra

When will it be fast enuf
Established Member
I like the one guys sig, "14,000 miles and no rain" that just solves the "I can't drive my car but it is fast." But damn they are the fastest car on the road. I would race them in my cobra, the 94 first. And the bad thing is that I would hang with them, especially a regular C5 which I have beaten on the road many times. I know the 94 is a little match for the ZO6, but that is why I have an 03 in the garage
:D

sir-blah

Established Member
I have yet to see a vette, stock, run a 12.2. I have raced some stock for stock and I have won. And Some guys have lost stock for stock. Get over it. Its not quite in the same class (As far as price) as the cobra. You would better compare it, for the price, to a BMW.I keep hearing the its such a great car, I have driven one and I guess I just don't get it.

Half of the messages on that post are FORD = blah blah blah... Give me a break. Its only 4 letters, a preschooler could do that.

CHEVROLET = Condition Hopeless, Entire Vehicle Relies On Leftover Engine Technology

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Originally posted by jasil

Merry Xmas

I disagree with down playing the cost argument.....I can't afford a Z06, heck I can hardly afford my snake. The 03 is one of the best bang for the buck production cars ever produced. That's why a lot of us bought them. Just can't agree that vettes' are overall better performers, especially when you factor in cost of modifications.

Brad

Banned
What, you expected something different from a group of guys who buy their cars based on status over anything else? I like listening to the base c5 guys chime in too, lol. Its vette owners like these that make running into a zo6/c5 a nice treat.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Red99SVT

Established Member
The guy you are talking about OpticZ06.. He is from Marietta and his Cobra never had a Kenne-Bell on it. It did have all the bolt ons and some juice. He has plenty of money and the cobra was a toy. The Z06 is bad, but what do you expect from a Z06 with a D-1. To each his own. I love my cobra.

Nathan

Juiced-03

Established Member
Originally posted by Red99SVT
The Z06 is bad, but what do you expect from a Z06 with a D-1. To each his own. I love my cobra.

Nathan

well I could put a Procharger on my Cobra and walk circles around his Z :rolleyes:

hahahahah I love hearing that excuse from LS1 queers so I had to see what it feels like to say it to someone faster than me lol

BigDaddy

Established Member
The reality is that a C5, espeically a Z06 is a better OVERALL performer.

The 03/04 Cobra can be easily moddified to out accelerate the average lightly modded or especially stock Z06 out there.

Acceleration is the most popular choice of competition so more often than not a stout 03/04 cobra will upset the unaware Z06 owner, say at the strip or on the freeway. Its not very often that we chase each other arround a track or go out to the country to see who can stop the fastest.--These are areas where the Z06 or even the stock C5 would shine.

The bottom line is a new Z06 is 53K! I bought my 03 Cobra for 31K. That is a HUGE difference in price.

I'm sure most Z06 owners are nice guys. I see attitudes on this fourm that don't represent Cobra owners very well either.

I think corvette owners get a little "pushy" becasue they hate to see a Cheaper car that is in a "lower class of cars" out accelerate them at the track or on the way to work.

I love my 03 Cobra, but I'm not going to pretend that C5 corvettes are not stout machines. But I will stay confident that I can surprise just about any of them thanks to some impressive engineering under the hood of my snake.

If you guys are interested in what the next generation of Corvette Competition will look like, check this out.--Takes a while to load. The best pics are at the bottom.

http://palmeter.com/CorvetteTimelineW11P06a.htm

Last edited:

KosherCobra

Established Member
I had a 2000 6 speed C-5. It was a great car, handled great and had nice acceleration. Just remember there are 3 type of Vette drivers.

1-Has money and no clue about the car,just because it's a Vette it was bought. (mostly automatic transmission)

2-Has money and respects all cars but is a diehard Vette owner past, present and future

3-Has money and knows what he has, especially a Z-06, If it's a Z-06 he is still a gearhead.

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
An elephant and an ant were walking down the road. The Elephant feel into a big hole and couldn't get out. The ant went and got a corvette, tied a rope to it, threw it down into the hole and pulled the elephant out. The very next day the ant fell into a hole and couldn't get out. The elephant simply lowered is big dick and the ant grabed hold and got out of the hole.

The moral of the story: If you have a big dick, you don't need a corvette.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Can't we all just get along LOL.

Not sure why everyone takes to heart about each cars background. They all are cool. Each have there own engineering plus. But differnt and its just what you like. We looked at a new vet to throw into our collection of junk but they really haven't had anything really cool in awhile.

We wouldnt have got the Cobra either if it wasnt for the supercharger. The older cobra really wasnt anything hot. There are so many hot cars out there and so little money LOL. Just want to spend it in the right place to get the most bang for the buck. Im still happy.

As far as the people who own the vetts I have to admit at the shows I really have been snobed to when they come around.
I start talking differnt cars and about 90% seem to be kind of a jerk then if it isnt a vet after. Except Old vett owners they seem to be more in the cool crowd. My wife even said gee whats up with them when they have down right been rude and walked away and said some bad comments about a rustang and other things like a slow piece of crap. And or Talked over us like we were scum or somthing. When we did our walk around to find out there car was a C5 vett and so many swirl marks I could hardly see the color & wheels look so bad I couldnt believe it with the cracked leather interior. Thought man they gave me a hard time? Sh-t all I do with ours is show it and they didnt even wash their vett for the show! I know there is always the ford chevy fun between makes but I found lots of these people just plain jerks.
Maybe I just ran into a bad batch of folks. Hopfully the rest can enjoy cars for what they are. Blast!

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Interesting all but one or two posts were from C5 owners, of which the article was not about... There should be no contest from them...

Silver 03 Cobra

Originally posted by Cobra10thaniv
Can't we all just get along LOL.

Not sure why everyone takes to heart about each cars background. They all are cool. Each have there own engineering plus. But differnt and its just what you like. We looked at a new vet to throw into our collection of junk but they really haven't had anything really cool in awhile.

We wouldnt have got the Cobra either if it wasnt for the supercharger. The older cobra really wasnt anything hot. There are so many hot cars out there and so little money LOL. Just want to spend it in the right place to get the most bang for the buck. Im still happy.

As far as the people who own the vetts I have to admit at the shows I really have been snobed to when they come around.
I start talking differnt cars and about 90% seem to be kind of a jerk then if it isnt a vet after. Except Old vett owners they seem to be more in the cool crowd. My wife even said gee whats up with them when they have down right been rude and walked away and said some bad comments about a rustang and other things like a slow piece of crap. And or Talked over us like we were scum or somthing. When we did our walk around to find out there car was a C5 vett and so many swirl marks I could hardly see the color & wheels look so bad I couldnt believe it with the cracked leather interior. Thought man they gave me a hard time? Sh-t all I do with ours is show it and they didnt even wash their vett for the show! I know there is always the ford chevy fun between makes but I found lots of these people just plain jerks.
Maybe I just ran into a bad batch of folks. Hopfully the rest can enjoy cars for what they are. Blast!

That's the point. On most domestic car boards the majority of members respect each others cars. In fact, the majority of members on LS1.com are pretty cool. It is even worse when you consider the average age of F-Body owners is a lot less than C5 owners and you would think the attitude would be opposite. I have never seen so overwhelmingly the amount of members on one board bash a car as they do on corvetteforum. The members on Z06vette are a real class bunch of dudes also. LS1 C5 owners are Z car wannabes and it goes back to their insecurites anytime another brand knocks them down a peg. The new sti just knocked them down another rung :lol:. And from what I've seen they are barely a hair over an F-Body in performance if not tied.

Another thing is them grapsing at anything to pacify their insecurites and the biggest issue other than looks is the handling issue. Most of them bring it up time and time again. I have been racing since 2000 and could be called a track rat. I raced at least once a week and a lot of weekends at least twice since then. I've raced at Rockingham, Richmond, Darlington, Bristol, Wilkesboro, Farmington, Mooresville and Shadyside Dragways and maybe a couple I forgot about. In that time I have seen a total of three C5's running. Three. That's one less than four. Now there are a ton of people that own C5's. To me that is an amazing fact since so many C5 owners want to show their little immature asses out on the street. I can't go anywhere without seeing several. Now if a C5 owner wants to boast so much about handling, it's hard for me to accept that issue when the majority are too chicken shit to run on a drag strip that is far safer than running on the street twisties or a closed course. And I don't care what any of them say about handling and status symbols, most C5 owners bought their cars for straightline performance and they fear a stock 03 Cobra :lol: much less a modded one that would literally destroy a C5 even with basic bolt-ons. The reason they don't run is they don't want their big fat egos to get deflated.

And the fact they say Mustang owners drive Mustangs is because they can't afford a C5 further exposes their egos. I would say most owners on this board could afford a C5, Z06 or even a Viper. I am a fan of Fords. That's why I drive an 03 Cobra instead of a Viper that is within my income and out of most C5 owners income. I also think most owners on this board are finacially responsible while most of C5 owners are living beyond their means. What's that commercial where the guy is bragging about all his material possesions and then he asks the viewer how he's doing it with that he replies, "I'm in debt up to my eyeballs" :whine:.

Last edited by a moderator:

time2train

Established Member
I personally like the vette and think its a great american car. However, I wonder why we did not see the same comparison on that forum 03/04 Cobra vs 03/04 C5 and see what the response would be. At least with the C5 the cost differential is closer than its upgraded Z06 brother.

Users who are viewing this thread