03 z06 or 03/04 Cobra

kelsey

Ever since I sold my 03 Cobra a year ago, I miss it. I was looking at the prices of the 02/03 Z-06's. Seems that I could get one for 33-35k. I know this is MORE than say 26-30k for a Cobra, but would it be worth the extra dough? Is the quality of the vette good? I would say that a stock Z-06 is close to a mildy modded Cobra. I know I'm asking Cobra fans, but thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks guys!

Zurok

Established Member
Try the Vette for a while. I am in the middle of selling my L so I can buy a Vette. I have always wanted one and have decided to try the dark side for a while.

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
You've already done the Cobra thing, so if you're really in the air on a decision... why not try out the 'vette next.

WA 2 FST

Established Member
Whatever you do... be picky to find the _right_ car. There are plenty of '02-03 Z06s for low-30s with 10k miles or less on them. I mean _mint_ cars owned by "waxers".

I've owned 3 late model Mustangs, including a '96 Cobra and '98 Saleen S351 and I now own a highly modded '02 Z06 which I bought new. They are different cars. They are all great cars.

Go _drive_ a C5 Z06 at a dealer if you haven't driven one before.

aborted

nothing
Established Member
I was just curious how much rwhp will it take for an '03 cobra to beat a stock '02-03 z06, given since the z06 is way lighter and more aerodynamic. im thinking the cobra needs to be pushing around 420rwhp ??

WA 2 FST

Established Member
aborted said:
I was just curious how much rwhp will it take for an '03 cobra to beat a stock '02-03 z06, given since the z06 is way lighter and more aerodynamic. im thinking the cobra needs to be pushing around 420rwhp ??

Wow, this is a loaded question on any board. Too many people who don't look it objectively, and too many street racers who may or may not know what the other guy has done to his car ... you can get a lot of dishonest answers.

At 350rwhp (stock) my Z06 ran 12.3 @ 116mph. On the _same_ evening at the _same_ track, a bone stock '03 Cobra driven by a guy that I know can drive ran 13.0 @ 109. I heard later on a different day he got it into the high-12s on stock tires. Remember, I'm in north Texas. We don't have downhill ski-slope tracks (sorry, but I have seen some video of some tracks in different parts of the country and that's how I'd characterize them) or 31.00" baro. pressure. At the same time, we're not at 5000' either. My point is that I'm sure there are some stock Cobras that are faster than the times this guy ran, just as there are stock Z06s that are faster than mine (I know several have run in the high-11s on stock tires, in stock configuration). You have to race them on the same day at the same track/street.

But based on my findings in the differences b/w my car and this other guy's car, he would need an additional ~60-70rwhp over stock to run with my car ... when it was stock.

Your estimate of ~420rwhp is very close, IMHO.

jasonc32amg

Established Member
Having had both I'd say check the Z06 out. Either car needs a beefed up bottom end if you want to get crazy and I think the Z offers greater potential, especially if you care about handling.

QWKRN U

1 0f 72 Build #159
Established Member
aborted said:

My Cobra Convertible (300lbs heavier than a coupe) producing 450rwhp beats a friends 02 Z06(Full length headers and Xpipe,Vari-Ram air) 375rwhpwith 1/2 car in between us. We are both good drivers and have had several race cars in our day.
My car weighs 4100 with me in it,His weighs 3310 with him in it. Just for reference.

Denny

Established Member
I have a corvette not a zo6. Every thing for a vet is over priced buy a cobra and use the money you saved on upgrades and the cobra has room for 4.

WA 2 FST

Established Member
Denny said:
I have a corvette not a zo6. Every thing for a vet is over priced

This is a good point. If you've never owned a Vette, or checked out the aftermarket... do so. Common upgrade parts are definitely more expensive than the same type of parts for a Cobra. Granted, there are some things you will not need to bother upgrading if you get a Z06, but from a powertrain standpoint Denny is definitely right.

jasonc32amg

Established Member
WA 2 FST said:
This is a good point. If you've never owned a Vette, or checked out the aftermarket... do so. Common upgrade parts are definitely more expensive than the same type of parts for a Cobra. Granted, there are some things you will not need to bother upgrading if you get a Z06, but from a powertrain standpoint Denny is definitely right.

And then compare to MB, BMW, or Porsche, it's all relative...

FuzzyBuffalo

Established Member
It might all be relative, but I used to have a 71 vette with a 454 and at the time a starter was about $73, but you could ask for a big block pickup starter and get the exact same starter for $38... go figure... :shrug:

WA 2 FST

Established Member
jasonc32amg said:
And then compare to MB, BMW, or Porsche, it's all relative...

I understand what you're saying, but its not relative when you compare cars that cost just about the same... '02 Z06 w/ 10k miles is ~ the same as an '03-04 Cobra w/ 5k miles as far as vehicle price goes. Or at least they are within $5k of each other.

Any of the above 3 you mention that can run 12.0-13.0 sec 1/4 mile times stock would cost a _lot_ more... in some cases $100k more. :)

Fast04SVT

you can come and buy this car instead. 17lbs of boost it was at 717rwhp
CobraTT.jpg

ttcar2.jpg

Karibian

Established Member
I have had both. Two very different cars. Drive a Z06 if you haven't already. To me is seems more refined, where the Cobra is more of a brute. They Z06 will wheel hop much less but the IRS will be the weak link with big HP. One thing I that is plus for a vette is the gas mileage. With a procharger and 10 lbs of boost I still average 22 mpg. The vette sits low and will rub on stuff. If you want to do mods as other have stated the Cobra is less expensive. You will need to decide what you want to do with the car and pick the one that best suite its.

Users who are viewing this thread