04 cobra belt squeek after new belt

Danderson

Established Member
I just got my 04 cobra and haven't had any problems then 1 day I noticed a little belt squeek but it went away 2 mins later well the next time I popped my hood I noticed that a chunk of a rib was missing off the belt so I put a new 1 on. He same napa belt. It was fine for 2 drives (don't drive every day) then it started squeaking bad. I pulled the belt off to make sure it is the supercharger belt and it is. I replaced the bearings in the snub idler bc I thought they were bad but that was not the problem. It's hard to pinpoint the problem any suggestions?

Danderson

Established Member
Just installed the napa greenback belt (better version of the 1 that squeeked) and no noise at all. I'll dive it this week and see if it holds up.

TRBO VNM

Same thing happened to me with 5 belts. they start squealing and I spray water on the back side of them and it goes away. So you know its the belt. NAPA silk screen their labels and belt number on the belt and you can see that section is pretty shiny. I take light sandpaper and rough up those areas that are silk screened. That usually solves it.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
I had this problem with Gates brand belts, went to gatorback and have never had the issue again.

Do you have aftermarket idlers? Seems to be the culprit from what I've seen.

Danderson

Established Member
Same thing happened to me with 5 belts. they start squealing and I spray water on the back side of them and it goes away. So you know its the belt. NAPA silk screen their labels and belt number on the belt and you can see that section is pretty shiny. I take light sandpaper and rough up those areas that are silk screened. That usually solves it.

wow thanks for the tip! ill try that if the noise comes back. the green belt that seems to be working doesn't have any markings on it.

2.80 upper and moto blue snub idler and reg idlers. i read alot about misalignment of pulleys but my old belt that broke never made any noise until the time that it broke.

TRBO VNM

Reg idler? Stock idlers? Make sure you get those swapped ASAP. stock idlers like to split and take out the belt and possibly other components on the front of the engine. Just do a search for stock idlers or something liek that. you will find plenty of pics of the carnage.

Danderson

Established Member
Reg idler? Stock idlers? Make sure you get those swapped ASAP. stock idlers like to split and take out the belt and possibly other components on the front of the engine. Just do a search for stock idlers or something liek that. you will find plenty of pics of the carnage.

sorry they are moto blue idlers

Users who are viewing this thread