'04 Cobra engine value...possibly for sale

GEMELLI

I want a Cobra R!
Established Member
I have an '04 Cobra engine that I'm thinking about selling. I also have the engine harness and all the accessories which have never been removed. The engine is complete, but I do not have the ECU, which I don't think makes the engine complete, but I could be wrong. :shrug: I bought this engine from a friend of my Dad's, in Oregon. He bought the car new, drove it home and took it apart to build a race car. :loser: The car had 50-60 miles on it. I bought the engine, transmission, and rear end for a FFR Cobra. I decided to use a different engine for the kit, so I don't really need this one anymore.

I'm trying to find an approximate value. I've checked around on eBay and other forums. It looks like, on eBay, they range in price from 6k to $10k. The $6k one was a 20,000 mile engine, but also had a transmission. The $10k one was an unpacked crate engine, that had never been started, with no transmission. I guess mine would fall in between those, hopefully a lot closer to the crate engine. ;) On the other forums, I have heard values as low as $5000, I would assume from people interested in buying it. However, if it's only worth that much, I'll keep it. If not, I will take offers and suggestions before I list it on eBay. Thank you, in advance, for any help you can offer! Please let me know if this should be in a different section, so I can repost it.

EDIT: Thanks for the help! The engine is now sold.

Last edited:

SnowMan

Established Member
Why would someone buy a $35K car and dismantle it to make a race car? Should have bought a used 6 cylinder model and saved $25K-$30K. If you still have his info I could probably come up with some stuff to sell....lol

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
yeah it doesnt seem to make sense buying a Cobra for that much and taking everything off. But got any pics of the engine?

GEMELLI

I want a Cobra R!
Established Member
I wouldn't do it that way either, but he wanted a real Cobra to build?!? I do have pictures, but I don't know how to post them. If someone tells me how, I will. I can also email them to you if you give me your address here or in a PM.

DarkSnake

03 DSG Cobra
Established Member
According to a recent post on another site from a Ford Rep the replacement 4V Cobra motor is $6,500 -- That probably does not include blower. Eatons are a dime a dozen, I bet you could pick one up for less than $500, So I would guess your motor is work $5,000 or less. I don't know why someone would buy yours for $6-$10k when the could buy it form Ford, brand new, with warranty for the low end of that range.

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but the lots of the guys over at Modularfords have been through this so their opinion is probably correct.

GEMELLI

I want a Cobra R!
Established Member
DarkSnake said:
According to a recent post on another site from a Ford Rep the replacement 4V Cobra motor is $6,500 -- That probably does not include blower. Eatons are a dime a dozen, I bet you could pick one up for less than $500, So I would guess your motor is work $5,000 or less. I don't know why someone would buy yours for $6-$10k when the could buy it form Ford, brand new, with warranty for the low end of that range.

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but the lots of the guys over at Modularfords have been through this so their opinion is probably correct.

Yeah, that was probably me talking to him on Modularfords. We sent some PMs back and forth. I believe he said the one from Ford is a remanufactured long block, so it's missing about $2500 worth of stuff. That's $8500+ for a reman engine or possibly a little less for as close to a brand new one you're likely to ever find. 6 in one...I suppose. As far as the people on MF, I'm sure they do know what they're talking about, but, with what these engines bringing elsewhere online, I'd say a figure that low is an prelude to making an offer. :)

Last edited:

DarkSnake

03 DSG Cobra
Established Member
GEMELLI said:
Yeah, that was probably me talking to him on Modularfords. We sent some PMs back and forth. I believe he said the one from Ford is a remanufactured long block, so it's missing about $2500 worth of stuff. That's $9000+ for a reman engine or possibly a little less for as close to a brand new one you're likely to ever find. 6 in one...I suppose. As far as the people on MF, I'm sure they do know what they're talking about, but, with what these engines bringing elsewhere online, I'd say a figure that low is an prelude to making an offer. :)

I guess that ultimately it is worth what you can sell it for. Let us know how you do. Ebay might bring the money you want. Also try Stangnet.com, that site is more for the newer crowd, and maybe you'll find a someone rebuilding a "salvage title" that will pony up for this engine.

GEMELLI

I want a Cobra R!
Established Member
Thanks for your help, I will keep you posted. I have a couple people interested, thanks to the help of this and another forum. I will be listing it on eBay on Monday. I had a local guy that offered $6000, but I told him I'd take my chances on eBay. It should go for at least that...I hope! :)

GodStang

Established Member
DarkSnake said:

The one from Ford for $6500 is from oil pan all the way to the blower. This is everything you need brand new. It also comes with a 3 year 36K mile drivetrain warranty.

GEMELLI

I want a Cobra R!
Established Member
GodStang said:
The one from Ford for $6500 is from oil pan all the way to the blower. This is everything you need brand new. It also comes with a 3 year 36K mile drivetrain warranty.

As far as I can tell, Ford doesn't sell a complete version of this engine anymore, at any price. I've done a little more research than just asking around on the internet. I've talked to friends that work for Ford, in parts and service departments. I've talked to FRPP dealers on more than one occasion. I've talked directly to SVT, when they still answered their phones. I'd say I've done my homework. No one's been able to find a complete or a brand new Terminator engine. Here's what I have come up with, though. Ford does sell a remanufactured "drop in" Terminator engine, without any accessories or manifolds, which, of course, includes the supercharger, intercooler, throttle body, fuel rails, injectors, etc. The part number is 2R3Z-6006-AARM. I think the price is about $4500 plus the core charge. They also still sell a brand new Mach 1 engine (p/n M-6007-M146) for about $6800. That's about the closest price to the Cobra engine you're referring too. If you had a part number or website address, your comment might be more credible. Of course, I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Untamed Snake

Redfire Terminator
Established Member
GodStang said:

wow that's a cheap price.. if that's true everyone and their mom would have a terminator motor.. maybe 6,500 for a longblock, and to make it complete prolly spend around another 2,500 plus maybe more...

GodStang

Established Member
blownGT69 said:
wow that's a cheap price.. if that's true everyone and their mom would have a terminator motor.. maybe 6,500 for a longblock, and to make it complete prolly spend around another 2,500 plus maybe more...

When the timing chains broke on my 03 cobra and destroyed half my block and heads they told me for $6500 they would remove the old engine (which they already had done), get a new 03 engine with everything installed out the door with a 3 yr, 36000 mile warranty. So I said you will give me a new warranty after you did not cover the first warranty. I said no thank you:

03blownengine015.jpg

Went and picked everything up and bought a VT. So I am guessing it would include a core charge for the old engine.

GEMELLI

I want a Cobra R!
Established Member
GodStang said:
When the timing chains broke on my 03 cobra and destroyed half my block and heads they told me for $6500 they would remove the old engine (which they already had done), get a new 03 engine with everything installed out the door with a 3 yr, 36000 mile warranty. So I said you will give me a new warranty after you did not cover the first warranty. I said no thank you...Went and picked everything up and bought a VT. So I am guessing it would include a core charge for the old engine.

I honestly don't think your dealer was telling you everything. I hear what you're saying, but you already had all your accessories, your intake (supercharger) and exhaust manifolds, etc. All the things one would have to buy to make a "drop in" engine complete. I also don't think that was the "installed" price for that engine. I'm sure they were willing to credit you for the removal of your engine, they wanted the sale, but they would have got it back with the install. :) BTW, what's a VT? Am I missing something, the only thing I can think of is a Diablo VT. If that's the case...:bowdown:

GEMELLI

I want a Cobra R!
Established Member
Brian97vobra said:
Yes he bought a Lambo. :lol:
No, VT is a company that builds engines.

So I guess that would be a little cheaper than a Diablo? LOL, I've never heard of VT engines. :shrug:

GodStang

Established Member
Two of the best engine companies is MMR and VT. www.vtengines.com is who I went with. Got the 302 Billet stroker and the engine is a beast. Also I have no idea if they were not telling me the whole story or not since I sayed screw yall and took my car home. Mods that voided my warranty were Bassani catback and Bassani high flow cats and 4.10 gear all which were installed by Ford. Oh well good luck selling your engine. You put it on ebay and skys your limit on price.

Users who are viewing this thread