04 Cobra Fails NJ INspection ????? Help

CobraCarrera

Established Member
Went yesterday to get my car inspected and all is well except that my car did not pass. I only have an upper pulley 2.8, Modularpowerhouse tune and dyno time,Basanni X Pipe with high flow cats, and flowmasters exhaust. So the car is legal in all aspects.

The reason I failed was because when the car was hooked up to the inspection machine, they stated that my car did not have enough mid level parameters in my computer to run the complete inspection. They told me that I need to drive my car for couple hundred miles in the upper 60 mph zone so that my cars computer can calibrate mid level parameters. I also need to vary my speed accordingly while I am doing this.

The station gave me a electronic gauge that they plugged into the OBD port under drivers dash which is now lite up red and they told me to come back after the lite turns green.

Granted my car does not see to much high speed driving because I live close to work but this sucks. I try to keep my car legal and correct and I still have inspection situations. Frigin NJ. Georgia was not like this. I always passed with flying colors. Georgia only did a sniff test in the tail pipe.

Has this happened to anyone else? I did hear of this problem before but I just dont know when.:cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
This happens when you erase the check engine codes before you go to emissions testing in order to pass without fixing a car, you're car hasnt passed all its obd-2 monitors and will need run time to do so. OBD-2 autos here are just given a code scan if there is nothing bad in history it passes. My Termi passed the code scan fine with no cats and MIL ELIMS.......

Good luck how much is NJ Registration & inspection a year ?

CobraCarrera

Established Member
Zorabot said:
This happens when you erase the check engine codes before you go to emissions testing in order to pass without fixing a car, you're car hasnt passed all its obd-2 monitors and will need run time to do so. OBD-2 autos here are just given a code scan if there is nothing bad in history it passes. My Termi passed the code scan fine with no cats and MIL ELIMS.......

Good luck how much is NJ Registration & inspection a year ?

New Jersey registration is $75.00 and inspection is approx $ 60.00 at my friends shop. The state does inspections for free, but I went to my friends shop because I did not want to take off the tint and I did not want to mount the front plate. My car is legal otherwise.

dcmuss

Established Member
look on the bright side, your car will pass after the computer as the time to run all the checks. Yea its a PITA but at least you will pass in due time

Hollowtip429

Established Member
It shouldnt take that many miles either! It is usually about 6 or 7 cool downs. You need to drive it, let it get to operating temp and let it cool down fully then repeat under different driving styles. If you only need a few of them it shouldnt be as many! Mine did the same thing here in TN.

Users who are viewing this thread