04 Cobra IAT2 sensor reading goofy

buster1

Established Member
Like the title says , car started running odd , misfires etc , started looking into stuff and found the #2 intake air temp reading 300 degrees and 280 voltsDC which is impossible as the reference voltage is only 5VDC , pump is running , lots of coolant in reservoir and can put my hand on it and keep it there . Check readings with cold car and reading 180 deg and 330VDC , unplug the sensor and -67 deg and 960VDC (again an impossible voltage level ) , checked the sensor it is ok , checked the wiring back to the computer and it meters out fine ( have All Data subscription ) book says replace the computer , took it to the dealer and they find the same things ( took them a day longer) also said some other readings where off and replaced the computer under warranty ( extended ) and said everything was OK , put the genesys on it when I get home and the readings are still the same and the car is running no better . Any thoughts / ideas greatly appreciated .

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
Well if I had to guess if the iat2's are reading 300 degrees then the sensor is bad and the computer is in limp mode due to the high temp. That's just a guess but it's where I would start.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
is this the sensor on back of the intake on the driver side?

i got a problem with my car , almost like limp home mode. its like car is missing through the exhast after motor is warmed up and 1 WOT burst . it tries to recover some.but runs like ass.
is that what your car is doing ?
when my motor is barley warmed up i can get on it 3 wot burst before it starts sputtering or missing throguh the exhast.
only started after i hit 162 mph.? it stuppered out , and never been the same. even though i replace the fuel filter and FPDM'S and both fuel pumps.

Last edited:

buster1

Established Member
Well if I had to guess if the iat2's are reading 300 degrees then the sensor is bad and the computer is in limp mode due to the high temp. That's just a guess but it's where I would start.

The sensor seems to be fine when checked with a meter , the computer should not read 900 ish VDC for that input when it's output is only 5 vdc

buster1

Established Member
is this the sensor on back of the intake on the driver side?

i got a problem with my car , almost like limp home mode. its like car is missing through the exhast after motor is warmed up and 1 WOT burst . it tries to recover some.but runs like ass.
is that what your car is doing ?
when my motor is barley warmed up i can get on it 3 wot burst before it starts sputtering or missing throguh the exhast.
only started after i hit 162 mph.? it stuppered out , and never been the same. even though i replace the fuel filter and FPDM'S and both fuel pumps.

check the IAT2 reading with a scan tool

TVSCobra

Established Member
Have you pinned out the wires from the sensor to the ECU. ie checked them for shorts,opens, resistance? Shit nevermind I re-read your first post. Ok so you have checked the wires, the ECU has been replaced and you have tried another sensor?

Last edited:

buster1

Established Member
So figured it out , the 91 tune really backs off on the timing early with increasing IAT2 temps :bash:(was hot as a mofo that day), got a new computer out of it from ford ( the dealers scan tool was not working tha day allegedly) ,my $ 3000 scan tool was / is reading that parameter incorrectly ( 105 deg offset from ambient ) datalogged with sct software and livewire and all OK , 91 for cooler days only from now on .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread