04 Cobra.., last of its kind?

FormulaFord

Established Member
I am happy I purchased my 04. After reading that the Lightning has been axed and that there is no real confirmation on the next Cobra. Will the 04's be the last? If anyone remembers the past like I do when gas prices went soaring, every manufacturer killed their muscle car programs (1970's). Yes the mustang will stay and if ford does a deal with Shelby where does the next Cobra fit in? If you doubt this look at how many Roush mustangs are sitting on dealers lots. For $20 grand less I purchased a cobra, that outperforms the Roush in most ways. So my point is, how many Shelbys will sell if a Cobra does come out in the future? I would like to hear everyones opinions,and if there is some info out there that proves me wrong, I apologize for not being up to date.

FormulaFord

Established Member
No disrespect but lots of magazines have said alot of things that never occurred. Thanks for the reply!

horatio03

mmmm beeer!
Established Member
As far back as I can remember they (MM&FF) haven't been wrong. Usually get the info before any one else too.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
The 04 wasn't the last of it's kind. Garaunteed. :beer: It'll be back better than ever before you know it.

2004svtcobra

Established Member
Do you honestly think the car companies will begin manufacturing crappy cars again? The government is cashing in on our addictions by taxing them. The government will begin increasing taxes on gas sucking cars even more just wait and see. With all the damn' SUV's on the road, American society is by no means moving towards fuel efficiency!! People don't give a crap about that stuff anymore. I actually heard that Maryland is trying to initiate a gas tax on SUV purchasers which are exempt from that tax as of now.

Maybe you are trying to justify the purchase you just made. These cars are awesome but don't get me wrong, FORD made a lot of these cars and all they are is a GT with a few added options.

The muscle cars will get faster and will suck more gas then ever before!

Captain Beyond

Established Member
The muscle cars will get faster and will suck more gas then ever before![/QUOTE]

:rockon: :bowdown: :D

Last edited:

tapout632

Established Member
If i'm not mistaken, the 2007 cobra was already confirmed for a Fall 2006 release. That's all we know so far about it despite the rumors about the 5.7L s/c. We'll know the truth about the specs and price in a year. However, many people say it will be $40-45k.

Jman20427

Die Rise
Established Member
2004svtcobra said:
The muscle cars will get faster and will suck more gas then ever before!

Actually, the MPG that these new muscle cars are getting are quite good. Back in the day, those big block chevys and fords and Hemi Dodges got 8-10 MPG if you were lucky. Now, take for example the corvette, the c5 z06 runs low low 12's stock and it gets 28 MPG on the highway, pretty damn good if u ask me.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
High hp cars arent going anywhere any time soon. The next few years will have customers with the most powerfull mainstream cars ever made in just about every price range. Nothing in the 60's is even close to whats comming out in the next 2-5 years.

Most of the latest SVT news hints that the name Cobra will finally dissapear from the SVT product. It really only belonged on an AC anyway, not a mustang. If Ford keeps going with concepts to production trends, the Cobra name will have a proper home in a couple years. Just about everything points to the 5.4 in at least the SVT, and a slew of other SE's like the Mach in the works in several price ranges. I wonder what they do with the car when the Hemi killer Hurricane big block finally comes to town, it should fit easilly in cars. 90% chance that motor which is not too far away caused the delay in the Lightning, the 5.4 wouldnt cut the mustard with a 400hp motor going in the regular F-150's and Expys.

I really don't see a future for the 5.4 modular after that, that super stroked 4.6 was only a stop gap Ford has been stuck with because of Nasser's shortsightedness, while GM and DCX use long proven pushrod motors that at least can be enlarged on demand without going up to fit in a host of vehicles. The mods are trapped within their own tiny FWD intended blocks for any real future. The next gen hurricane will have the ability to grow without being skyscraper tall for car and truck motor applications, and should totally leapfrog GM and DCX because they will be cammers with CUBES. The best of both worlds. They will have lego monsters to play with, mix and match heads, intakes, blocks and induction sytsems, a monster modular this time around.

Last edited:

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
tapout632 said:
If i'm not mistaken, the 2007 cobra was already confirmed for a Fall 2006 release. That's all we know so far about it despite the rumors about the 5.7L s/c. We'll know the truth about the specs and price in a year. However, many people say it will be $40-45k.

SVT probably has spent more time on how much to put in it and what price point to place it then anything else. Glass roof, SMG, racing brakes at 50k? or keep it a little more simple and get as much power under 40k possible? Ford does have quite a few options for the new car, I guess we will all know in March. The current crew in charge is very grass roots as far as the mustangs rebirth, and with HTT moved to SVT they may have a lot more 'common sense' versitality. There have been rumors of being able to pick IRS or live axles. SVT may have a ton of tricks up thier sleeves, with the GT supercar, Austin Martin and Jaguar development parts in thier inventory as well. Im sure whatever it is it will friggin rock.

Last edited:

Talus

LookingThroughAWideAngle
Established Member
KevinB120 said:
SVT probably has spent more time on how much to put in it and what price point to place it then anything else. Glass roof, SMG, racing brakes at 50k? or keep it a little more simple and get as much power under 40k possible? Ford does have quite a few options for the new car, I guess we will all know in March. The current crew in charge is very grass roots as far as the mustangs rebirth, and with HTT moved to SVT they may have a lot more 'common sense' versitality. There have been rumors of being able to pick IRS or live axles. SVT may have a ton of tricks up thier sleeves, with the GT supercar, Austin Martin and Jaguar development parts in thier inventory as well. Im sure whatever it is it will friggin rock.

it will friggin rock. at the NY auto show this March they are going to prove it. :rockon:

fangstang

Established Member
TomBoJangles said:
it will friggin rock. at the NY auto show this March they are going to prove it. :rockon:

And I cant friggin wait! :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread