04 cobra occasional stalling

STROKER_BILL

Established Member
This happens about two or three times a season. Ive noticed the car only stalls when im comming to a stop, on a slight down hill grade. seems like the fuel is simply shut off right as i come to a stop. The car always fires right back up with no problem. it does not chug, or hesitate out. it just turns off.

This is my first cobra so i wasnt sure if the pick up in the tank is near the back of the tank and its sucking up air or or something else.

Anyone ever have this happen?

btw..its a bolt on car, ported eaton exhaust etc etc with no kbpp. pretty sure the pumps may be stock.

any input will be helpfull.

Last edited:

46stang

Established Member
Could be a lot of things but I would try replacing the idle solenoid first. It's located on the intake elbow just above the throttle body.

STROKER_BILL

Established Member
pretty sure its tuned by Lideo from Mich on a SCT hand held.

this only happens once a year so its happend maybe twice. Im just looking at what i might be into in the future should it happen on the regular. i dont think ill do any thing till it starts to be more prominent.

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
Mine does the same. I have sprayed the IAC and MAF and still same deal. It is most likely going to be in the tune (there is a tsb for a tune patch for deceleration issue). A new IAC is like 70 bucks on here or on rockauto.com . Spray em out first with MAF ripoff $8 cleaner, and do TB while ur at it.

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
does it shut down when you shift it to neutral??

Yup. U can tell it wants to stall too bc the rpms just drop too hard. So now u end up hittin clutch n brake with left foot going into a turn while stalling out trying to restart or do i just push-start it still im in motion. What a damn nightmare.

Its ok for normal driving tho, it only stalls if engine is wound up then seperated from load (like shifting to neutral while at high RPM). Check tune and IAC.

0slowbra4

Established Member
Yup. U can tell it wants to stall too bc the rpms just drop too hard. So now u end up hittin clutch n brake with left foot going into a turn while stalling out trying to restart or do i just push-start it still im in motion. What a damn nightmare.

Its ok for normal driving tho, it only stalls if engine is wound up then seperated from load (like shifting to neutral while at high RPM). Check tune and IAC.

yeah its fine when i drive it normally but it only does that when i shift it to neutral and the rpms drop hard, what could it possibly be?

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
yeah its fine when i drive it normally but it only does that when i shift it to neutral and the rpms drop hard, what could it possibly be?

What it definitely is going to be is one of 3 things:

- supercharger vacuum line like flavios said, many svt gods say that the elbow is known to dry out crack and fray causing a bad seal. just get a new line on there to fix it. 10 bucks

- bad tune i.e. hasn't been updated with the Ford patch for the deceleration issue on these cars. search this forum for where to find the update patch and get to a tuner to patch it in there. good excuse for a couple dyno runs for the hell of it. 75 bucks

- bad IAC. just swap it out like 46stang said. 70 bucks

My car does it often now, more than when i first started noticing it. All i do is keep it in gear for longer so it doesnt just drop down like that and this way there is still a load spinning with the engine. Fast shifts help too, but usually if u let the motor slow/wind down with the car the rpms dont slam down as hard. When it first happened to me, one of those tough guy harley davidson types with bootleg motorcycle club leather on was tailgating me. he was so pissed :rollseyes

Users who are viewing this thread